Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenNebula vs Proxmox?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenNebula vs Proxmox?

We are looking for an open-source/or low-cost solution to provide a Cloud VM solution. Our list almost down to these two. The ideal is working with GlusterFS + HCI storage.

I was wondering what is your pick and why?

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

It appears OpenNebula is just a controller.
    Proxmox is KVM and runs the VMs.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

I've used OpenNebula about a year ago.
    At least the free/ community version was so unstable und full bugs.

Go with Proxmox.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • marvelmarvel Member
    edited February 2021

Go for Proxmox with CEPH storage. CEPH is super easy and very reliable. So is Proxmox.

• Proxmox

• I have been using proxmox since 2014. I believe it was version 3 or 4 back then.
    If you don't poke it, meaning to do elaborate updates of hardware like switch from HDD to SSD while the system is running and live, it's ROCK SOLID. No unplanned downtime. No hickups. ZFS has saved me multiple times of my own stupidity and experimentation on LIVE systems :P

I also was tempted to try open nebula at some point, but it was a bit more complicated to setup than proxmox and also at the time I couldn't find enough community support on the issues I had.

But I have to admit that this opinion is biased toward proxmox since I am confortable using it.

• xethostxethost Member, Patron Provider

Proxmox.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

I have always been a fan of proxmox. There is a learning curve but once you get it down you should be good to go.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • marvelmarvel Member
    edited February 2021

@BradyH said:
    I have always been a fan of proxmox. There is a learning curve but once you get it down you should be good to go.

If you think Proxmox has a learning curve then try to setup Openstack lol (although with julu it's fairly 'easy').

I mean anybody with a bit of basic linux and networking knowledge can set up a Proxmox cluster.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

@marvel said:

@BradyH said:

If you think Proxmox has a learning curve then try to setup Openstack lol (although with julu it's fairly 'easy').

I mean anybody with a bit of basic linux and networking knowledge can set up a Proxmox cluster.

Yes I have worked with openstack as well. Proxmox is not hard but if you really want to use it to the max it takes a bit of learning behind it. Just as any program out there.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

I don’t think there is anything wrong with Opennebula, but it is a private cloud solution. Making a public service out if it requires some work. I have found it stable and it has been working for us for years now, so I disagree with some of the comments above.

Thanked by 1skapoor
  • I'm using Proxmox for VM and it's really good.

• @v3ng said:
    I've used OpenNebula about a year ago.
    At least the free/ community version was so unstable und full bugs.

Go with Proxmox.

Hi @v3ng! Sorry to hear that you found OpenNebula unstable :-/ We are always trying to improve the software, so feedback is always more than welcome! If you encountered some specific issue while testing OpenNebula, please report it via GitHub or post the issue on our Community Forum and we'll surely look into it.

In regards to the OpenNebula versus Proxmox discussion... actually, they are completely different animals :-) Proxmox is a tool for the orchestration of VMs on small clusters, while OpenNebula provides more features for data center virtualization management, advanced cloud management tools, orchestration of application containers (as Firecracker microVMs), and automatic provision of resources from the public cloud and bare-metal providers. Also, when you compare the Enterprise subscriptions, you’ll realize that Proxmox subscriptions are much more expensive than OpenNebula’s.

Here you have some additional resources you might find helpful, including our intro screencasts. And remember that with our miniONE tool, you can deploy a single-host OpenNebula cloud in just a few minutes! ;-) Cheers!