Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much do you oversell.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much do you oversell.

skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

How many users per core do you have?
Do you oversell your storage?

Comments

• hahaha and you expect providers to answer it?

Thanked by 2kkrajk bulbasaur
  • @seenu said: hahaha and you expect providers to answer it?

this is a realistic answer. BRAVO !

• Was gonna tag my man, but he’s here anyway

• marvelmarvel Member
    edited February 2021

The answer would be 'it depends'. If you have 10 users running a mail server they can probably share one core. I don't see anything wrong with that. You should look at the average load on the entire node to decide if you want to add or maybe move some customers.

I think it's impossible not to oversell storage and CPU and still make a profit. You would never be able to compete. Even Azure or AWS oversell I'm sure, as well as any private cloud I've managed.

Thanked by 1stratagem
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

20-25% dedicated vcore (Burstable upto 100%) is usually fair usage policy for CPU for most established provider so most likely accordingly VM's should be provisioned, all providers have different kind of user based and different CPU usage policies hence most likely 3-4 one core VPS per cpu core, but again RAM and Disk Space also becomes constrain here so there is no fixed formula for it ... but roughly this should be it ... Also again depends if provider is overselling RAM and Disk Space or not

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

Up to 8 threads on one dedicated thread, but we also offering dedicated cpu threads.

On storage we always got more space available as we are selling to the customers. Same happens for RAM.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • starts from 10 per core

• Typically it is hard to tell how oversold cpus are, but fortunately nowadays we are seeing quite a lot of ryzen vps offers. You can probably assume all these ryzen servers are running on 128 GB ram (whereas you couldn't be too sure on server cpus). Ryzen 3900x seems to be pretty popular nowadays, and it has 24 threads. I see several providers allocating around 1 core per 1 GB of ram. But you should really have a fair share of 0.1875 thread per GB of ram. Of course, this is oversimplifying things but at least it gives you a glimpse into what it's probably like.

Some providers oversell ram/storage, some don't. There's really no way to tell unless they tell you outright (or memory ballooning/storage runs out)

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2021

We do not oversell disk space, for RAM I am not sure but CPU is overselled for sure:

For example: 1 core, 2GB RAM, 20GB NVMe - $6.92/mo

With our PRO plans, we provide fully dedicated resources, no oversell at all:

For example: 1 core, 5GB RAM, 100GB NVMe - $24.21/mo

I can imagine you would ask in your mind - who can buy damn 1core VPS for $24.21/mo.
    But it is one of the most successful our products.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@bacloud said:
    We do not oversell disk space, for RAM I am not sure but CPU is overselled for sure:

For example: 1 core, 2GB RAM, 20GB NVMe - $6.92/mo

With our PRO plans, we provide fully dedicated resources, no oversell at all:

For example: 1 core, 5GB RAM, 100GB NVMe - $24.21/mo

I can imagine you would ask in your mind - who can buy damn 1core VPS for $24.21/mo.

If you are selling shared core that’s not actually overselling.

As long as you can provide stable and quality services that’s not overselling, and there is no fixed number how many VPS can be added all depends upon VPS package

We have some nodes marked as full with 60-70 VPS some are even marked as full with just 25-30 VPS

Some of our old nodes with 64 cores even have 120 VPS on them but (they are in the process of being retired in next 20-25 days, new nodes are being added pending migration )

But we make sure RAM or disk space is never oversold

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2021

@bacloud said: I can imagine you would ask in your mind - who can buy damn 1core VPS for $24.21/mo.

Why would anyone buy this instead of a dedi?

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@skorupion said:

@bacloud said: I can imagine you would ask in your mind - who can buy damn 1core VPS for $24.21/mo.

Why would anyone buy this instead of a dedi?

Clients do not want to care about server hardware, more scalable, backups, etc.

• Not a provider, but I think it depends on the average usage.
    Those bigger players also say their CPUs are shared. Most users won't use up all the CPU power all the time so it's fine, but if you do cause an impact on others, they may throttle it.
    Also many providers offer dedicated cores. IMO the number of users on one shared core can be roughly calculated using pricing data for both shared and dedicated offers.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2021

Nobody that is sane enough would never give correct numbers on public forums even if they answered you. Do you legitimately expect to get honest answers? Grow up haha

And if by any chance someone would answer you, the other vulture providers that we have here, would use their every means to quote and pick on that specific reply in order to find some fault in the answer to demean their competitor.

Or the other way around.. they would type something pointless and then explain how they do it "correctly" with sugarcoated numbers or statistics to boost their own reputation.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

It depends,
    We have multiple nodes. For product with dedicated core (VDS) we do not oversale even for %1

But for our avg products, example: 32 threads node, sometime we sale 35 vps on that or maximum 38

We do not sale more than that..

If we receive more order and have no stock then generally we refund them