Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHT Lifting Unlimited Ban - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHT Lifting Unlimited Ban

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am not sure the Ford analogy is good, personally I would buy used computers and also high end servers, depends on the use, so, advertising Supermicro at a garage sale for used laptops and thin clients would probably make me consider it. Same with cars, some people might buy an used car for their 16 yo while thinking of a maseratti for themselves, I know at least a person that did that and also has BMW and mercedes half a dozen.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

What

edited September 2013

I mean advertising Ford at a used cars auction is not at all something to discard beforehand. It makes a lot of sense.
    Advertizing Ferrari would be a bit off, but Ford not at all.

The ketchup packets are free

• Ford with unlimited fuel!

• It's like saying Murica with unlimited warfare

• Most of these "unlimited" plans have a lot of hidden clauses in their ToS.

I remember a host that had "unlimited" disk space, but one of the clauses was that you could use only XX GB for the first month and after that you could add XX GB more space.

Personally, I'm absolutely against such impossible to achieve technically plans, as they only mislead the customers. It's looks more like a pure scam.

• Expect big companies (hint EIG) join in and pay big to advertise, = WIN for WHT

• @INIZ said:
    Expect big companies (hint EIG) join in and pay big to advertise, = WIN for WHT

Yeah, WHT probably needs the money. They will always value that more than long-time members.

Seriously, they didn't even give a proper argument as to why to remove this ban. The original reason for the ban is still there, technological advancement doesn't have anything to do with that.

• Would VPS with unlimited RAM start appearing?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Anyone else think it'll just be a million threads of Unlimited Everything $1 then in the thread (First Month!!!) Afterwards only $999.99

• I have heard of people abusing dreamhost's unlimited plans in ways describe in this thread, with people claiming to push multiple terabytes of mp3 backups

• smansman Member
    edited September 2013

Providers over promising selling to buyers with unrealistic expectations and/or habitual abusers. They were mean't for each other.

• @agoldenberg said:
    Anyone else think it'll just be a million threads of Unlimited Everything $1 then in the thread (First Month!!!) Afterwards only $999.99

I'm sure plenty of providers will be able to manage unlimited for 1 cent/lifetime

edited September 2013

Armchair commentators will never be truly pleased by anything. If the internet has taught us anything, it's that. Reality is customers aren't being scammed because they aren't trying to abuse it. Reality is most of these hosts have less of those exception clauses than they used to. Reality is it just gets under the skin of people who have to have everyone else do everything their way. Reality trumps theory and people can't stand it because their theory is logical. Such is life.

It is absolutely no more or less logical or "dishonest" than any 2+gb LEB offer.

@jarland said:
    It is absolutely no more or less logical or "dishonest" than any 2+gb LEB offer.

Except 2+GB LEB offers are possible even for KVM and Xen. And with decent speeds and even SSD. Sure, not unlimited traffic or something, but it is possible.

• All this fuss about "unlimited" stems (IMO) from people misunderstanding the word.

It means there is no set limit.

It does not mean infinite.

Thanked by 2c0y Pmadd
  • When everybody is going "unlimited" no way not to remove this WHT rule ...

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited September 2013

@haseltine said:
    I guess they're all the same anywhere in the world. Here in Malaysia/Singapore they charge like 3GB at the rate of $17.64 USD.

Not really. Here in Finland, I have 21mb/s unlimited data for ~$18,5 (and 50mb/s unlimited would be ~$26)

I think 5 GB/month is enough at 21 mbps rest at 128 kbps, if I ever go over, i usually listen to radio and watch tv when I am on route, it never goes over 1 GB. At 2 Eur a month cant ask for more.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2013

I think this all depends on what is allowed as unlimited. Ram etc should not be allowed. Hard drive and bandwidth, maybe.

But at the end of the day it comes down to what the provider is willing to risk (for abusive clients) and what the customer is willing to risk (providers "fair use"). Sure it will work with some businesses and some people may even get burnt but the same happens already with summer hosts and general overselling already.

I dont see how this is going to be the end of WHT or anything.

• @sleddog said:

No it doesn't. It literally means that there is no limit, not that there is no set limit. Therefore unlimited = i can use an infinite amount of ressources.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    No it doesn't. It literally means that there is no limit, not that there is no set limit. Therefore unlimited = i can use an infinite amount of ressources.

That's your interpretation... the German autobahns are "unlimited" for speed but that doesn't mean you can drive infinitely fast :)

I prefer to know my limits. I am perfectly fine as long as I choose knowing what i suppose to get and I really get it barring some unforeseen circumstances.

• Marketing "unlimited" products is most often about freeing the customer from worry. The customer does not want to track usage, or worry about the adverse effect of running into the limit. There are studies that show that consumers are willing to pay a significant premium for "unlimited" products, even if a limited plan makes more economic sense for their usage patterns.

I still have the grandfathered "unlimited" cell data plan on my phone. It would be far more sensible and economical if I had a limited plan, even if I had to pay a large penalty for exceeding the limit a few months a year. Once I give up the "unlimited" plan, there's no going back, and I hate the thought of losing it, so I stay on. The perfect customer.

• @sleddog said:
    All this fuss about "unlimited" stems (IMO) from people misunderstanding the word.

It does not mean infinite.

This is a very good description! Still I think it is a misleading term...