Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

discord on a VPS [Solved]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

discord on a VPS [Solved]

skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
edited February 2021 in Help

Welcome,
Can I have discord running on a VM and streaming video?
I have vnc installed on one of my VPS, but for some reason, discord doesn't wanna start.
Is there a way that I can make discord start, and stream video to a discord channel?
My internet connection isn't the best, thus I wanna use one of my machines to do it.

How to do it?:
run discord --no-sandbox to go into fdiscord.
The streaming is flawless by the way

Comments

• @skorupion said:
    Welcome,
    Can I have discord running on a VM and streaming video?
    I have vnc installed on one of my VPS, but for some reason, discord doesn't wanna start.
    Is there a way that I can make discord start, and stream video to a discord channel?
    My internet connection isn't the best, thus I wanna use one of my machines to do it.

are you able to install windows10 on it?
    I've used one of my dedi before, install windows 10 on it and stream from there

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited February 2021

@skorupion said: but for some reason, discord doesn't wanna start.

How much RAM does the VM have? I've ran it in a VM without a GPU (A VPS typically won't have one) before now, it just needed a few hundred MB of RAM (And a few hundred more for the DE and etc, definitely need upwards of 1GB before any of this will work.)

That said, I doubt you will have any luck streaming video on it without a GPU. You can launch Discord and it will run but you won't be able to stream to a channel without graphics hardware that a VPS can't give you. If you do manage to stream, it will be incredibly low quality to the point where you shouldn't even bother.

---Edit:---
    Note that I can't speak for Windows. I've had Windows on a VPS before but never tried that setup with Discord, only Linux. So ignore what I've said here and try Windows as recommended above if it won't work.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2021

@DianTama said: are you able to install windows10 on it?
    I've used one of my dedi before, install windows 10 on it and stream from there

Its a VPS, so for that question @dustinc can ?

@Erisa said: How much RAM does the VM have? I've ran it in a VM without a GPU (A VPS typically won't have one) before now, it just needed a few hundred MB of RAM (And a few hundred more for the DE and etc, definitely need upwards of 1GB before any of this will work.)

it has 3 GB of ram

• @skorupion said: it has 3 GB of ram

Then yeah no clue why it won't launch. If you run discord in a terminal it might give more information (And if you post that here someone might be able to help)
    Or try Windows.

Thanked by 1sofyan

Ok figured it out, i needed to run discord --no-sandbox

• The fact that you needed --no-sandbox suggests you're running the application as root.
    If that is the case, can I recommend you not and instead create a user account?

Of course it's not going to matter a whole load but by running as root with that option you explicitly bypass or ignore a lot of security features that Discord (And its dependency, Chromium) wants to enforce.

@Erisa said: The fact that you needed --no-sandbox suggests you're running the application as root.

Thanks for the suggestion I might try this

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @skorupion said:

@Erisa said: The fact that you needed --no-sandbox suggests you're running the application as root.

Ron Howard voice: he won't

Thanked by 2Nekki Erisa
    edited February 2021

@TimboJones said: Ron Howard voice: he won't

I DID IT! NOW EVEN SOUND WORKS!

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @TimboJones said:

@skorupion said:

Ron Howard voice: he won't

Fantastic show. Didn’t need season 4 though.

• @Erisa said:

@skorupion said: but for some reason, discord doesn't wanna start.

How much RAM does the VM have? I've ran it in a VM without a GPU (A VPS typically won't have one) before now, it just needed a few hundred MB of RAM (And a few hundred more for the DE and etc, definitely need upwards of 1GB before any of this will work.)

That said, I doubt you will have any luck streaming video on it without a GPU. You can launch Discord and it will run but you won't be able to stream to a channel without graphics hardware that a VPS can't give you. If you do manage to stream, it will be incredibly low quality to the point where you shouldn't even bother.

---Edit:---
    Note that I can't speak for Windows. I've had Windows on a VPS before but never tried that setup with Discord, only Linux. So ignore what I've said here and try Windows as recommended above if it won't work.

I've had luck running a stream with Windows on a 4 Core 8GB RAM VPS from 2 different providers, I was constantly able to push out 2Mbps @ 720p (haven't tried higher bitrates) to Twitch without frame drops all while having a browser open streaming a 720p YouTube video or running emulators (ala Twitch Plays).

That said, the setup works fine only for mostly idle streams, encoding constantly chews up ~50% of the CPU on my setup so OP is probably SOL if he plans to do anything that even remotely takes up CPU time.

Thanked by 1Erisa

@jmgcaguicla said: That said, the setup works fine only for mostly idle streams, encoding constantly chews up ~50% of the CPU on my setup so OP is probably SOL if he plans to do anything that even remotely takes up CPU time.

So it worked, i used linux instead of windows, have been streaming on discord amazingly so i can watch films with other people. and it takes up 80% out of 300% of my cpu, which is not bad. its 3 vcore, 3 gb vps, and 1 Gbps for 30 usd/per year

Thanked by 2jmgcaguicla Erisa