Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virmach location change [urgent - no prior notice]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virmach location change [urgent - no prior notice]

Virmach is becoming a disaster.

Here goes the timeline:

Date: 02.02.2021
Subject: Upcoming upgrades & vote for preferred locations
Dear VirMach Customers,

In the coming months, we will begin offering some customers the option to migrate their service(s) to new servers. While supplies are limited, we will prioritize those customers that provide an answer to this optional customer poll. This should only take a few minutes, and you should only participate if you are interested in migrating to new servers as soon as possible. These new servers will have brand new AMD Ryzen processors with 3.5GHz cores, and much higher performance than previous series Intel processors. They will also have much faster DDR4 RAM, as high as 2x improvement in speeds, and new NVMe SSD drives with up to 10x faster performance. Your service's IP address would also change, we may also offer IPv6, and we may offer a free location change as well if you have a new location you prefer.

Eventually, all customers may be migrated to these nodes in new datacenters (with improved network connectivity as well) but if you want to participate sooner, please answer a few quick questions below.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE NOW.

Please note, we will not be able to discuss this via support ticket as we are collecting large amounts of data.

Thank you,

The VirMach Team.

Do you see any mention of location/country change?

Date: 07.02.2021
Subject: [Emergency] Immediate Migration on GERKVM1 & GERKVM2
Dear VirMach Customers,

As you may know, these nodes have been having extreme issues, with frequent outages. This is not the type of experience we would like to provide, and the situation is unfortunately worsening. Immediate after this message, we will begin migrating customers away from GERKVM1. Then, once we bring GERKVM2 back online, we will migrate that as well.

Your service's IP address will change, if networking does not function, please click "Reconfigure networking" on your end.
You can view the new IP address on your service details page, under "main IP address."
There will be a few hours downtime as your VPS is migrated.
The new server will be located in Amsterdam, but if we offer Frankfurt in the future, you can switch back.
We apologize for the delay and sudden notice. We did not initially have enough space in Amsterdam to complete migrations. Please know that this is absolutely necessary at this point, as quality of service in the Frankfurt datacenter has regressed and it is no longer acceptable, therefore we are switching partners.

Thank you for understanding, and we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

-The VirMach Team

Do you think it's fair and makes sense to change the country from Germany to the Netherlands without notice? Still not taking into account IP address change.

No, I didn't have many issues with that server. There might some downtimes but still it was working fine.

This is almost 5-year server. I can accept migration to better gear but not location change without giving notice.

Is Virmach is doing right thing?
  1. No, cancel your server and move on42 votes
    1. Yes, cancel your server and move on
      47.62%
    2. Sue them!
      52.38%

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited February 2021

Have you sued your provider or asked them to do push-ups? This is the only way to show the world how serious you are.

But then, either Germany or Amsterdam is better than Buffalo.
    Also, @VirMach mentioned discontinuing Germany sometime ago in their offer threads.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • Cancel and move on dude. this is virmach. I got the same issue.not the same but i got warnings of high cpu usage from them since the vps is already shut down.just move on. that is all

• Please, oh please sue them. Get those billions in damages.

They are resellers depending on another provider. If that provider say "hop" - they hop.

Sorry to see your pain with location change. Virmach is budget provider. They are cheap in terms of service and attitude towards customers. Nothing new.

• @yoursunny said:
    Have you sued your provider or asked them to do push-ups? This is the only way to show the world how serious you are.

Also, @VirMach mentioned discontinuing Germany sometime ago in their offer threads.

Guess the number of paragraphs from vir😁 and get doubled your bandwidth.. :D

• Virmach is for idling (even their $30 dedi’s). Therefor ip and location change shouldn’t matter

• skorousskorous Member
    edited February 2021

@Sanjue007 said:
    Cancel and move on dude. this is virmach. I got the same issue.not the same but i got warnings of high cpu usage from them since the vps is already shut down.just move on. that is all

So you have gotten them after you turned it off? You've made that comment before ( https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3196822/#Comment_3196822 ) but when a couple people asked you just disappeared out of the thread.

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Summoning @VirMach for a 30,000-word treatise on this issue.

• @yoursunny said:

Should I follow each offer thread to understand when they discontinue services in their locations?

@LTniger said: They are resellers depending on another provider. If that provider say "hop" - they hop.

They were using ServerHub aka some relation to CC.

I think it was Virmach who ditched that server in that location.

@raindog308 said:
    Summoning @VirMach for a 30,000-word treatise on this issue.

Should I ask kindly @VirMach so they don't cancel my server suddenly :D.

• Imagine if one had a buch of server logons restricted to a VIRMACH IP address and it was changed without notice .... yes a disaster.

• @darb said:
    Imagine if one had a buch of server logons restricted to a VIRMACH IP address and it was changed without notice .... yes a disaster.

Doing that in the first place.... a disaster

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @corbpie said:

@darb said:
    Imagine if one had a buch of server logons restricted to a VIRMACH IP address and it was changed without notice .... yes a disaster.

but VIRMACH is a "Top Provider"

• wait for 30 thousand words

anyway if cannot work properly with service, asking nicely for refund. maybe possible.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited February 2021

Reading those two supplied emails and nothing else, I dont see the issue. Shit happens, their node is obviously failing and they want you off it. Imagine the outcry if they didn't do this and your server became highly unstable and unusable.

The email is even tagged as "Emergency", signalling its out of their control and they're asking for your understanding. If your server is costly and the migration bothers you then get in touch with them and request an alternative solution, given the fact its tagged as an emergency I imagine they would probably try to be understanding.

The location change makes sense. Suppose they can't find anything in Germany that can hold their users at their costs, what would you rather they do, delete your server without warning or move it to a shitty node without asking?

They even apologised in the email, how hard is it to use your head and think about the human whose business relies on tough decisions like this? They don't want to do this just as much as you don't want it to happen.

If you don't like it, cancel. Nobody is forcing you to use VirMarch exclusively for 5 years, theres plenty more German providers who would be delighted to have your business.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited February 2021

@darb said: Imagine if one had a buch of server logons restricted to a VIRMACH IP address and it was changed without notice .... yes a disaster.

Yes I did, but also have two other vps at two other providers with the same access, so no problem. Redundancy is the only thing you can count on.

@alexvolk the move is not that big of a deal to me, even with new IPs. The location of the new IPs being geo-located to Kansas where the old ones were geo-located properly was kind of disappointing though. I now have 4 vps in Amsterdam, from a couple of providers, so I will be letting some of them go when they expire.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @darb said:

@corbpie said:

@darb said:

but VIRMACH is a "Top Provider"

Doesn't excuse sloppy server administration. If you're going to restrict something like that, always have a fallback method for accessing. Assume that at any moment any one of your servers could randomly disappear. Nothing goes exactly according to plan, neither their nodes nor your service. Even just allowing a second server also makes a world of difference.

Always plan for failure, that way once it happens you'll already know what to do and how to recover.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • jhjh Member

if networking does not function, please click "Reconfigure networking" on your end

That's some quality service right there

• @jh said:
    if networking does not function, please click "Reconfigure networking" on your end

Can you elaborate? They don't know what you might be running on your server, that instruction is probably for people who decided to assign static IPs, anyone using DHCP will experience ordinary service most likely.
    I would much rather have to press buttons to redo my own stupid network config than have the provider bruteforce their way into my VM to do it themselves.
    I imagine the option probably shows the data for static assignment.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @jh said:

this is good function

many provider not have, or not working

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited February 2021

I expect that they reconfigured networking for the new IPs automatically when migrating. I was set up with network and services static IP and only needed to set the new IP for my services, not the network interface.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • elliotcelliotc Member
    edited February 2021

@jh said:

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • @jh said:

Actually, this is how you configure in Hosthatch's panel and it works.

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited February 2021

I got that email from Virmach months ago (edit: May 2020) where they moved me from Frankfurt to Amsterdam (GEROVZ3). Nothing new here and nothing related to the country change they recently posted.
    Virmach has been a ColoCrossing shop and I guess that the Frankfurt location did not fit into that profile.

• @Erisa said:
    Reading those two supplied emails and nothing else, I dont see the issue.

Really? No issue at all. Sudden location change - no problem.

@Erisa said:
    Shit happens, their node is obviously failing and they want you off it. Imagine the outcry if they didn't do this and your server became highly unstable and unusable.

If shit happens, why they don't inform that users on that node? Should I follow every offer thread and then become aware of issues with ServerHub?

@VirMach said: OUTAGE REPORTS - If you reported an outage, we've unfortunately had a good mount of these this month especially with Serverhub (Frankfurt) and some nodes that are having hardware problems. We are planning on migrating these, but we understand there have been long/multiple outages. Please close your ticket if you can, if you reported this and the server came back online. Please also close your ticket if you created one because you thought there was an outage but your service is now online after a re-install/reboot.

See this ^^

@Erisa said:
    The email is even tagged as "Emergency", signalling its out of their control and they're asking for your understanding.

Imagine I woke up and my server moved from one country to another without giving notice? I can understand if it was handled properly before migration happens at all.

@Erisa said:
    They even apologised in the email, how hard is it to use your head and think about the human whose business relies on tough decisions like this? They don't want to do this just as much as you don't want it to happen.

Thank you for taking care of my head. Still trying to be positive but your tone isn't right and isn't going in the right direction.

They're running a business and I expect them to take care of their own duty.

If you don't like it, cancel. Nobody is forcing you to use VirMarch exclusively for 5 years, theres plenty more German providers who would be delighted to have your business.

I have a lot of servers in Germany as well as in the Netherlands so it's not related to this thread.

However, urgent migration of location without notice it's a disaster that I wasn't expecting from Virmach (before you comment from any provider as well).

@FrankZ said: @alexvolk the move is not that big of a deal to me

For me too. I have just shared the way Virmach handled this.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • I can only guess it was some serious problem with Frankfurt datacenter of the "migrate right now, or there is nothing to migrate later" type. If that was the case, I prefer migrating on short notice (or even without any) to loosing my data...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, they mentioned it a shiton of times, that Frankfurt will soon fallen.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I see ipv6 coming, no more Colo?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2021

@notarobo said:
    I see ipv6 coming, no more Colo?

Hopefully.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jh said:

@Erisa said:
    They don't know what you might be running on your server, that instruction is probably for people who decided to assign static IPs, anyone using DHCP will experience ordinary service most likely.

The Reconfigure Network button in SolusVM reboots the VM and overwrites the networking configuration file if it exists.

SolusVM can recognize /etc/network/interfaces used by Debian.
    If Debian was installed from ISO instead of template, the default interface name is ens3.
    However, SolusVM writes eth0 as interface name, causing the server to lose connection.
    The only way to fix this is to login via VNC and reedit the config file, and hopefully you remember the password of a sudoer user.

SolusVM cannot recognize /etc/netplan used by Ubuntu 18.
    Since the file /etc/network/interfaces still exists, SolusVM overwrites that file, but there is no effect.

With IPv4-only service, it's better to rely on DHCP.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @yoursunny said:

@jh said:

@Erisa said:
    They don't know what you might be running on your server, that instruction is probably for people who decided to assign static IPs, anyone using DHCP will experience ordinary service most likely.

The Reconfigure Network button in SolusVM reboots the VM and overwrites the networking configuration file if it exists.

If Debian was installed from ISO instead of template, the default interface name is ens3.
    However, SolusVM writes eth0 as interface name, causing the server to lose connection.
    The only way to fix this is to login via VNC and reedit the config file, and hopefully you remember the password of a sudoer user.

Since the file /etc/network/interfaces still exists, SolusVM overwrites that file, but there is no effect.

Thanks! don't have any experience with SolusVM so that's good to know

• @yoursunny said:

@jh said:

@Erisa said:

Can you pls make a new thread about install from ISO . I had faced same issue about networking Your comments from here https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3202561/#Comment_3202561 can be made into one thread which should be sticky for some time