Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If network interface not shown what would you do ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If network interface not shown what would you do ?

I know this scenario are rarely happened, but i face similar situation while configuring my first actual hardware server while installing Debian on it remotely (That was pure hell), I take from me many tries and error to make Debian setup accept that hell network card(I can't even know how I did it lol)

since this sht happens here is another example, I tested Puppy-Linux(Slacko64) in Virtual machine and voilà the network utility can't see the freaking network card

After couple search attempt in google I end-up with Slackware wiki-page that assuming Linux system able to detect the network card in the first place ifconfig .
Is this driver(kernel module) related issue or I'm missing other steps on the process to make Linux server see the outside world ?

Comments

• Use ip link show instead of ifconfig. See anything different?

• @jtk said:
    Use ip link show instead of ifconfig. See anything different?

The problem solved after I restart the VM and run the live CD I select Network setup wizard, there is option to load Kernel module(I had to select card module manually from the list)

• @jtk said: Use ip link show

Offtopic, in fact i need Puppy linux beaus it had web browser to test why my Web-server webfsd not detect on Windows 7 VM I'm testing, appealingly even Linux can't access to it ?

here is my VM network setup

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@JustPfff:
    You are using Debian. Debian only uses free software. Realtek firmware isn't free. ;) (in terms of GPL).

See https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware
    You must install the firmware-realtek package via apt.
    Make sure to not only include main but also contrib non-free in your sources.list.

For easier installation you can simply use the non-free iso images from
    https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/

Thanked by 1JustPfff