Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why VPS for India location are costly ? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why VPS for India location are costly ?

13»

Comments

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@smallbibi said:

@ViridWeb said:

@SirFoxy said:

@seenu said:
    In general internet is expensive in India.

i used to pay Rs.2000 (around $50 that time) in 2010 for 1-2mbps speed,

then beam (now called ACT) started offering 10mbps for Rs. 1000 which is like a dream for many people.

now same company offers me 150mbps speed and 2000GB bw per month for same amount i.e. they keep adding more speed and bw for free.

i pay around $17/m for it....now you compare prices in other countries...

uhhh, i pay $60 a month for 100mbps in the us. significantly cheaper.

We are using 2 fiber connection here in Kolkata, India

For wishnet: paying Rs. 750 ($10) monthly for 100mbps unmetered fiver connection here in India.

And for alliancebroadband: we are paying Rs. 7000 + GST (Almost $100) monthly for 1Gbps unmetered fiber

Edited:

https://wishnet.in/tariff

http://alliancebroadband.co.in/index.php?page=NewTariff

You are using residential internet for servers?

Haha.. We are talking about internet pricing in India and not our servers. Also we do not provide servers located in Indian.

I was talking about internet plans we use for our office and home.

• If we are talking about home and mobile network, may I ask the common education level (Are most teens know words and have computers?). Your cable cost you how many % of income ?

I only visited India years ago, so my information maybe out dated.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2021

@elliotc said:
    If we are talking about home and mobile network, may I ask the common education level (Are most teens know words and have computers?). Your cable cost you how many % of income ?

I was replying to SirFoxy's and mhosting's comment and not the OP.

And for education level yes we know what a computer is. Like this an advanced level computer technology and our govt allocated 100 billion to build this computer within next 10 years

Thanked by 2jsg DewlanceVPS
  • upalupal Member
    edited February 2021

@elliotc said:
    If we are talking about home and mobile network, may I ask the common education level (Are most teens know words and have computers?). Your cable cost you how many % of income ?

How many percent of income? Seriously are you still stuck in the 1990s - first of all educate yourself first and see why companies from outside die to invest in our beloved country of Republic of India. There is a reason why.

• @elliotc said:

Yeah, I don't think he meant any offence when he asked that.
    Almost everyone has a phone now here. Almost everyone knows about WhatsApp and YouTube. They might not know how it works, but they surely do use it. WhatsApp and YouTube have become "default" apps in a way.

Income varies a lot here, so I think you can just compare the currencies. 1 USD ~ 73 INR. So, scale costs that way. Not the most accurate, but it gives an idea.

@upal I don't think he meant any harm by that question. I wonder why you are so triggered.
    I'm sure we can ask @elliotc the same question, and expect an answer.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @LTniger said: India is more than capable to lay down some good fiber under the ground.

Yes, but after that's done some random public utility company starts Jack-hammering the place up as part of their work.

An example something like this might happen.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Kochi/kochi-mayor-asks-kwa-to-restore-trenched-road/article33734344.ece

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/kochi/2021/feb/03/pipe-laying-turns-daily-commute-an-ordeal-2258671.html

As a result, urban man made flash floods with chlorinated water ( I have seen one very recently), Worse was worker's getting electrocuted.

There is always, a very serious lack of communication between the parties involved almost all the time.

Private ISP's here then started using the space in the waste water drains/canals to spread their fibres thus clogging them. The municipal offices where not happy about it.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • @rahulks said:

@LTniger said: India is more than capable to lay down some good fiber under the ground.

Yes, but after that's done some random public utility company starts Jack-hammering the place up as part of their work.

Ouch. Bangalore is no better.

• @upal said:

@elliotc said:

How many percent of income? Seriously are you still stuck in the 1990s - first of all educate yourself first and see why companies from outside die to invest in our beloved country of Republic of India. There is a reason why.

I am deeply sorry if you feel offended, I have some friends from India also and get help in many ways. The reason I try to know "percent of income" is for convert to the way I know better.
    Rent accounts for 65% of my family income, and my house can only install 8mbps ADSL, my life has been crap, so believe me, I don't have any ill will.

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited February 2021

@seenu said: in my case, i don't restart my router for days and i observed my ip stays same even after short reboots.

Pretty sure that also happens on most coax cable setup.

@upal said: 150Mbps

is a piece of cake on DOCSIS 3.0 which was released in August of 2006.

Why go the fibre way for such less, overkill ?

• @LTniger said: OVH in India will be the same or even more expensive than SG.

How does OVH SG Pricing stack-up against DO BLR and Linode BOM in India ?

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited February 2021

@elliotc said:

@upal said:

@elliotc said:

I am deeply sorry if you feel offended, I have some friends from India also and get help in many ways. The reason I try to know "percent of income" is for convert to the way I know better.
    Rent accounts for 65% of my family income, and my house can only install 8mbps ADSL, my life has been crap, so believe me, I don't have any ill will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_transition_in_India

Since this happened, the expense grew as an STB was needed. Which costed about 2,000 Indian Rupee( about 28 United States Dollar ) or more sometimes 3k inr.

Mind these are not Interoperable set-top boxes so they become paperweights or worse e-waste to add to the pile.

The tariff for channels kind of doubled along with this development .

@upal said: first of all educate yourself first

How about you start with

About https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tape

In India.

Don't let nationalism blind you. Open Your Eyes.

• Don't let nationalism blind you. Open Your Eyes.

Wtf are you saying? Dumbass read the entire thing. Nobody is licking any ones ass except you mentioning how someone licked theirs. Retard

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@LTniger said:
    Wide spread corruption in India doesn't allow proper competition among serious business. This leads to possible monopolies and prices are not as good as consumer expect given country cost of living.

Corruption is widespread pretty much everywhere, in western countries usually nicely disguised, in some countries more crude, but no matter the details and forms, it's almost everywhere. Maybe worse than average in India, I don't know.

India is more than capable to lay down some good fiber under the ground.

Is it really? Well noted, this remark is not about painting India negatively but of a more general kind.

For a start, not every country can and does produce fiber cables, especially not the kind that can carry 200 Gb/s to (low digit) Tb/s per strand. And that's just one single element that's utterly worthless without endpoint and signal refreshing equipment ... and people able to install and manage everything.
    Now add the laying itself. First one needs rights of way, which can be very problematic. Then there is the ground, which may be simple (e.g. normal soil) or not at all simple (e.g. rocks), plus danger potential like floods, wide temperature variations, and even seemingly trivial problems can turn out to be ugly, e.g. when you have to dig 500 km and there is only a couple of diggers available or, like in cities, where one can't use powerful diggers but must use small excavators, etc. etc.

And even when you are done, you are actually not because e.g. DSLAMs are needed and of course the internet being the internet even a powerful national telecom provider often doesn't have fat international capacities, so the global carrier giants enter the game. One would think that a country with > 1 bln citizens had the global carriers fighting to enter but sorry, no, they don't tick in "number of citizens/potential customers" but rather in $$ to be made with a nice profit and in PB volume. And of bloody course they know that without them connecting to you your nice new national backbone isn't worth much ...

As for LTE & friends, that nice for end-users but not really attractive for backbones, not even for city backbones (nor can it carry that kind of load), which need high to very high capacity (n x 100 Gb/s min. and increasing), high reliability, and low maintenance cost.

There is a reason why many countries still suffer from poor international connectivity, no or only high cost colos/DCs, many and partly "dark regions" (like rural USA and certainly India too) and high prices.
    Final remark: NO funny low end-customer pricing and (seemingly) high rates of 100 Mb/s and upwards are NOT a reliable indicator because ISP everywhere know their business and have caching rates in the 90% to 99%. One can have happy end-customers with LTE rates and cheap too, but still a rather poor backbone and international connectivity.

Thanked by 1kwaralala
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

Heard some rumors about OVH having a DC in Mumbai:

Should wait to see what they offer there and go from there.

Thanked by 2Abd uncooked92
  • rahulksrahulks Member
    edited February 2021

@upal said:

Wtf are you saying? Dumbass read the entire thing. Nobody is licking any ones ass except you mentioning how someone licked theirs. Retard

@upal said: first of all educate yourself first and see why companies from outside die to invest in our beloved country of Republic of India. There is a reason why.

Yes, because Shit Happens ?

For example what happened at Wistron Corp’s iPhone manufacturing plant near Bengaluru, India a month ago ?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/violence-breaks-out-at-wistron-corps-iphone-manufacturing-plant-near-bengaluru/articleshow/79691511.cms

Was it in the form of a Non-cooperation movement as suggested by our well respected father of the nation ?

We want everyone to go the 'Make in India' way but we also have 'Break in India' too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-india-wistron-analysis-idUSKBN28P2F1

• Capex for a DC is nearly
    300,000 US Dollars per rack at current exchange rates.

Opex is a different ball game

This is a thumbrule-
    Figure quoted by a guy who sets up DCs

Based on that the learned and the wise can do their maths

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

A lot of DCs waiting for Jio in the commercial sector. If they introduce the competitive as they did with cellular stuff then obviously we can see a huge price drop.

• @voxin said:
    I was wondering why the VPS charges are so high for India location when compared with rest of the world.
    Especially network bandwidth is so costly there if you go with VPS.
    Does anyone know?.
    I am looking for a better offer which gives me 1/2TB bandwidth.

I mean it depends on what costly is. A good brand will charge you anywhere between INR 700 per month to INR 2500 per month as per your requirements.

In a market like India, internet data is not very cheap. Prices were rising till covid plummeted them in Covid.

Bandwidth is still a metric Indian market is trying to cope with respect to other countries.

For 1-2TB, if I have traffic of say 80K per day and I need to spend INR 700 a month for my VPS, I would happily do it. That's like almost 2 million traffic for just INR 700 month.

I helped a blogger get his affiliate site up on HostGator India's VPS plan with INR 1400 a month for three years, that website is doing quite well. He wanted customers from US and Asia Pacific and it did well, because the server locations were in US and India both. Personally, I feel a lot depends on your own business goals. Hope this helps you.

Thanked by 1voxin
  • Sharing some of my insights from the India Market.

1) There is GTT already in Mumbai, India. The DC (Ex Tata Comm DC) they are at has 2x higher cost than upcoming Equinix Mumbai (ex. GPX Mumbai). They have OTC ~$3800 for 10U and recurring is about ~$2000. Power cost is higher than other parts cause its Commercial locality and near City Center. The GTT line is mostly for Stock Trades/Forex trade.

2) So unless you have a good Tata Comm IP pricing in EU or US with higher commit levels then you can reap benefit from it in India then its a good Idea. That's some similar strategy Linode, DO or AWS used for their bulk GBs of commit.

3) As far as I know WW is the cheapest DC with Bandwidth out there (hence most providers use WW on LEB or WHT). NTT also has DC but prices are on higher side than WW. Equinix Mumbai (Ex.GPX) is where AWS and Linode are at. But after Linode entry to that DC prices have gone up there and with Equinix now I expect to reach highest limit possible to recover the $161M + millions of bribes to the Local Gov.

4) You can get bandwidth prices slightly lower by purchasing from Resellers/Broadband providers or DC. If you want to get wholesale bandwidth rate you need telecommunication license. (to access wholesale or provider rates!).
    If you are thinking long term and needs 100s MBs then may not be worth it but you can bargain with Telcos or DC, but if you want GBs yeah then it might be worth getting it through all the bureaucratic process.

5) Jio is already there in NetMagic Mumbai, Nxtra (Ex.Airtel DC) and some other DC, (NOT WW) should come soon. I know Jio is actively selling IPT in these and SG. CDN77/Datapacket has 100G Jio port from SG for India Connectivity. Jio uses (ex.RCOM ex.Flag Telecom Infra to reach EU/US and world)

Most companies die cause they bribed the wrong people and lost their licenses next time. They probably followed Trump's art of deal breaking, which doesn't work in India. i.e: Telenor in India or MTS in India. While most maintain neutral political view than picking sides is the only way to stay afloat here is what I believe :)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@rahulks said:

@upal said:

@upal said: first of all educate yourself first and see why companies from outside die to invest in our beloved country of Republic of India. There is a reason why.

Yes, because Shit Happens ?

For example what happened at Wistron Corp’s iPhone manufacturing plant near Bengaluru, India a month ago ?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/violence-breaks-out-at-wistron-corps-iphone-manufacturing-plant-near-bengaluru/articleshow/79691511.cms

Was it in the form of a Non-cooperation movement as suggested by our well respected father of the nation ?

We want everyone to go the 'Make in India' way but we also have 'Break in India' too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-india-wistron-analysis-idUSKBN28P2F1

If you will not pay salary and want to get maximum profit, then it can happen in any country. Same thing happened in France/Russia and many countries.

Promised them to pay Rs.21000, Then reduced it to Rs.12000 then Rs.8000($109.70/mo).

This days who work for $100/mo? They did not kill anyone.