Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for potential netcup replacement - KVM, 500GB+, 8GBM RAM+, Germany+EU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for potential netcup replacement - KVM, 500GB+, 8GBM RAM+, Germany+EU

Hi everyone,

I'm hosting a bunch of service for family and friends:

• Nextcloud instance with Nextcloud talk (spreed)
  • Several nginx based web servers (image gallery, blog, static files)
  • DNS with pi-hole, unbound and DoH
  • The odd gameserver (minecraft with 4-10 players, not always on)
  • voice chat (mumble)
  • VPN
  • IPV4 / IPV6 (routable to docker containers)

All in all not too busy. The webservers get busy from time to time.

I'm looking for something fast, with access to bulk storage which can be slower. Maybe one of those hybrid offerings would be fine: NVME for all things system, network storage / SATA for bulk.

I am currently running a netcup G8 KVM "root" server and mostly happy with it, but maybe there's something else on the market - netcup changed in tonality of service in the past years and I feel less warmly treated. Maybe that is just a bi-product of their success.

Price range: Up to 15 EUR, better less per month. I am ok with 12 months contracts.
Location: Germany would be best, but European union in general works.

Reliability above speed and price for me, since it's a single server running "micro'ish" services in docker in flatcarOS. Automated (Live) Backups would be superb, because those have been a pain with netcup: Just one snapshot, often the server required storage optimization before and this plus backup meant downtime.

I've looked at netcup G9 for 15 EUR per month with 6 months contract and at the offers of @novos, who answered me very quickly after I asked for more info.

Comments

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I don't have the time to look up the prices for you but check avoro.eu and php-friends.de

Thanked by 1Gymnae
  • Give @PHP_Friends a try.

Thanked by 2Gymnae dataforest
  • Thank you two, PHP_Friends looks good and with great, yet they don't offer bulk storage.
    Is it common to book bulk storage elsewhere?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Gymnae said:
    Hi everyone,

• IPV4 / IPV6 (routable to docker containers)

You can route on KVM and XEN, if you don’t mind XEN virtualisation we can do one off offer.

Thanked by 1Gymnae
  • GymnaeGymnae Member
    edited February 2021

Hi @WebProject, I would not mind that, if XEN still means dedicated resources. I've not seen an offer on your page matching my desired specs, though.

I can't edit my original post, maybe I should clarify:

• 500GB+ refers to storage, which can be split between solid-state and magnetic
  • It's going to be hard to beat netcup's prices for the specs.

@Gymnae said: netcup changed in tonality of service in the past years and I feel less warmly treated.

How so, if I may ask?

Thanked by 1Gymnae
  • @Gymnae said:
    Hi @WebProject, I would not mind that, if XEN still means dedicated resources. I've not seen an offer on your page matching my desired specs, though.

I can't edit my original post, maybe I should clarify:

• 500GB+ refers to storage, which can be split between solid-state and magnetic

They mentioned "we can do one off offer" which means they're aiming to meet your requirements through something not listed on their site if you get in touch.

• @angstrom said:
    It's going to be hard to beat netcup's prices for the specs.

I am happy to see that they remain competitive, agreed. Yet I'll like to check out what else is on offer before plunging into a new commitment ;)

@Gymnae said: netcup changed in tonality of service in the past years and I feel less warmly treated.

How so, if I may ask?

Good question. I've been with them since 2017 and back then, getting phone support was no problem, they called me when I missed a billing deadline. Now it's all only via web portal and non-personalized emails. It's not that the service quality degraded - I am still happy with them in this regard, but it just feels they have increased in business so much, that the personal touch is not there anymore.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

@Gymnae said:
    Thank you two, PHP_Friends looks good and with great, yet they don't offer bulk storage.

NVMe provisioned as real logical volumes is expensive compared to SSD via QCOW.

If you don't need NVMe storage we can provide additional network storage (samba) up to 100 TB. It's provisioned on SSD-cached RAID-10 via ZFS so it performs quite good, NVMe is faster though.

Thanked by 1Gymnae
  • I haven't used @PHP_Friends 's services, but I have requested benchmark and more info previously and they were incredibly helpful and responsive. :)

If I wouldn't be using Contabo, I would probably be a PHP-Friends customer.

Thanked by 1Gymnae
  • @PHP_Friends said:

@Gymnae said:
    Thank you two, PHP_Friends looks good and with great, yet they don't offer bulk storage.

NVMe provisioned as real logical volumes is expensive compared to SSD via QCOW.

If you don't need NVMe storage we can provide additional network storage (samba) up to 100 TB. It's provisioned on SSD-cached RAID-10 via ZFS so it performs quite good, NVMe is faster though.

Hi, do I understand that correctly you would offer SSD-cached RAID storage which could be connected via SMB to a VPS with NVMe for system storage. If so, what would be the cost for 2TB or such storage space?

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited February 2021

@PHP_Friends can you tell the price per Gb and performance of the network storage?

• dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

500GB = 6,90€
    1TB = 9,90€
    2TB = 17,90€
    3TB = 24,90€
    5TB = 29,90€
    10TB = 49,90€
    20TB = 99,90€

everything beyond this is individual, all prices with 19% vat.