Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why VPS for India location are costly ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why VPS for India location are costly ?

Comments

• @kwaralala said:

@upal said:

@seenu said:
    In general internet is expensive in India.

i used to pay Rs.2000 (around $50 that time) in 2010 for 1-2mbps speed,

then beam (now called ACT) started offering 10mbps for Rs. 1000 which is like a dream for many people.

now same company offers me 150mbps speed and 2000GB bw per month for same amount i.e. they keep adding more speed and bw for free.

i pay around $17/m for it....now you compare prices in other countries...

Jio Fiber offers 150Mbps unlimited for $13usd/mo. Plus you get an entire IPv6 range for every separate device connected to your network. Why don't you just make a switch?

Too bad the IPv6 addresses aren't static. Rather, the default gateway IP also changes, so dunno if this is useful at all.

I'm unable to setup the Cloudflare DDNS service for my dynamic IPv6, if anyone has experience with that, please let me know. :)

Easy way to setup DDNS using cloudflare is by making a No-IP dns record and download their client which usually updates the IP address whenever it changes and create a 'CNAME' record pointing towards the No-IP hostname.

• kwaralalakwaralala Member
    edited February 2021

@upal said:

@kwaralala said:

@upal said:

@seenu said:

then beam (now called ACT) started offering 10mbps for Rs. 1000 which is like a dream for many people.

now same company offers me 150mbps speed and 2000GB bw per month for same amount i.e. they keep adding more speed and bw for free.

Jio Fiber offers 150Mbps unlimited for $13usd/mo. Plus you get an entire IPv6 range for every separate device connected to your network. Why don't you just make a switch?

Too bad the IPv6 addresses aren't static. Rather, the default gateway IP also changes, so dunno if this is useful at all.

I'm unable to setup the Cloudflare DDNS service for my dynamic IPv6, if anyone has experience with that, please let me know. :)

Easy way to setup DDNS using cloudflare is by making a No-IP dns record and download their client which usually updates the IP address whenever it changes and create a 'CNAME' record pointing towards the No-IP hostname.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. Can the CF proxy work over No-IP? Any bandwidth restrictions owing to this?

Edit: Found something which might work:
    1. https://github.com/LINKIWI/cloudflare-ddns-client
    2. https://github.com/eoprede/cf_dynamic

• @kwaralala said:

@upal said:

@kwaralala said:

@upal said:

@seenu said:

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. Can the CF proxy work over No-IP? Any bandwidth restrictions owing to this?

Edit: Found something which might work:
    1. https://github.com/LINKIWI/cloudflare-ddns-client
    2. https://github.com/eoprede/cf_dynamic

You can hook up any DDNS updater which supports IPv6 to your rpi in order to do the job and yes cloudflare proxy does seem to work with any created CNAME given that it is No-IP or any other similar DNS service.
    The only drawback of using proxy is that it limits you to the default allowed ports by CF such as 80,443 but at the same time it offers the address to be reachable from an IPv4 address as well.

Thanked by 1kwaralala
  • Brain storming:

To reach Europe, India needs to
    1. bypass the Cape of Good Hope in Africa, submarine communication cables is expensive and hard to maintenance.
    2. By pass Suez Canal, it is doable but not much room to build.
    4. By pass Land or Persian Gulf, too many unfriendly neighbors.

Too many user, too less space that can be built.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I think it's because of lack of individual players in India. Big companies use price monopoly to sell server/vps at higher price.

Only individual can drop price by selling it at less margin.

Thanked by 1voxin
  • @elliotc said:

Brain storming:

To reach Europe, India needs to
    1. bypass the Cape of Good Hope in Africa, submarine communication cables is expensive and hard to maintenance.
    2. By pass Suez Canal, it is doable but not much room to build.
    4. By pass Land or Persian Gulf, too many unfriendly neighbors.

Too many user, too less space that can be built.

Interesting illustration there. I want to know how does Singapore work out with this logic.

• @kwaralala said: Interesting illustration there. I want to know how does Singapore work out with this logic.

It's probably Singapore to India to EU, and Singapore to Hong Kong to other east asian countries to west coast US. But usually to save costs some weird things can happen especially for ISPs. It's not uncommon to route you to west coast US then to EU. It's likely a thing where they have more spare traffic to US so they utilize it that way.

• @smallbibi said:

@kwaralala said: Interesting illustration there. I want to know how does Singapore work out with this logic.

It's probably Singapore to India to EU, and Singapore to Hong Kong to other east asian countries to west coast US. But usually to save costs some weird things can happen especially for ISPs. It's not uncommon to route you to west coast US then to EU. It's likely a thing where they have more spare traffic to US so they utilize it that way.

Makes sense. My understanding is that bandwidth is cheaper in SG compared to India?

• @kwaralala said:

@smallbibi said:

@kwaralala said: Interesting illustration there. I want to know how does Singapore work out with this logic.

Makes sense. My understanding is that bandwidth is cheaper in SG compared to India?

yes in Singapore bandwidth is cheaper.
    I test a few servers from Germany location less for Germany location also.
    if you too much bandwidth then Germany is also a good option.

• WhoaWhoa Member
    edited February 2021

@upal said: Jio Fiber offers 150Mbps unlimited for $13usd/mo. Plus you get an entire IPv6 range for every separate device connected to your network. Why don't you just make a switch?

Unlimited = "Commercial use policy of 3300 GB applicable on all Truly Unlimited Plans."

Source - https://www.jio.com/en-in/fiber/terms-and-conditions

To avoid abuse of Unlimited Data benefits by a few that affects the vast majority of other users, for such plans, RJIL will identify and treat any consumption by a customer beyond 3300 GB of data in a 30 day recharge cycle; as misuse of the benefits provided. Upon reaching such limit in a recharge cycle, RJIL reserves the right to withdraw the plan benefits in the form of data use for such consumer without giving any prior notice.

3300GB is a lot, but it's not "Truly Unlimited".
    And it's not that you'd be slowed down for the rest of the month upon exceeding this limit. You can be unceremoniously kicked out with no prior notice.

I can understand if they called it unlimited* (with an asterix), but they didn't ... they chose to call it "Truly Unlimited".

• @Whoa said:

@upal said: Jio Fiber offers 150Mbps unlimited for $13usd/mo. Plus you get an entire IPv6 range for every separate device connected to your network. Why don't you just make a switch?

Unlimited = "Commercial use policy of 3300 GB applicable on all Truly Unlimited Plans."

Source - https://www.jio.com/en-in/fiber/terms-and-conditions

To avoid abuse of Unlimited Data benefits by a few that affects the vast majority of other users, for such plans, RJIL will identify and treat any consumption by a customer beyond 3300 GB of data in a 30 day recharge cycle; as misuse of the benefits provided. Upon reaching such limit in a recharge cycle, RJIL reserves the right to withdraw the plan benefits in the form of data use for such consumer without giving any prior notice.

3300GB is a lot, but it's not "Truly Unlimited".
    And it's not that you'd be slowed down for the rest of the month upon exceeding this limit. You can be unceremoniously kicked out with no prior notice.

I can understand if they called it unlimited* (with an asterix), but they didn't ... they chose to call it "Truly Unlimited".

Everybody knows that. He just mentioned that he had a 2TB limit on his ACT but other ISPs provide up to 3.3TB which eventually will increase if everybody in this country starts reaching that limit that is. And corporate connections like leased line do not have these limitations what so ever. As per my knowledge it is currently Rs.4000/10Mbps which is highly negotiable if you take higher speeds that is, it has speed limitations up to 1Gbps.

• @upal said: Everybody knows that. He just mentioned that he had a 2TB limit on his ACT but other ISPs provide up to 3.3TB

Maybe call it as 3.3TB limit then ? and not "unlimited" like you did ?

which eventually will increase if everybody in this country starts reaching that limit that is

Quite the opposite. If "everyone" in the country starts reaching that limit, it will be unsustainable with current infrastructure & prices = much more strict usage limits on these plans.

I mentioned my problem with Jio's advertising viz. they call their plan "Truly Unlimited", when it clearly isn't.

btw, 10mbps = 3200GB/month @ 100% utilization = not any cheaper @ 4k/month.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Funny, Tata, an indian corporation/group runs some of the major international cables (afiak mostly sub-marine) and is one of the more attractive carriers even in Europe.

My guess (and really just a guess): indian bureaucracy, infrastructure not up-to-date, plus too many layers trying to make some money.

If I'd ever be interested in finding an indian colo (very, very unlikely) I'd look around and close by the cable landing points.

• Ovh is coming to India, this might change our pricing.

Thanked by 1kwaralala
  • @Whoa said:

@upal said: Everybody knows that. He just mentioned that he had a 2TB limit on his ACT but other ISPs provide up to 3.3TB

which eventually will increase if everybody in this country starts reaching that limit that is

Quite the opposite. If "everyone" in the country starts reaching that limit, it will be unsustainable with current infrastructure & prices = much more strict usage limits on these plans.

I mentioned my problem with Jio's advertising viz. they call their plan "Truly Unlimited", when it clearly isn't.

What are you even saying? 10Mbps on a leased line does not have any level of FUP involved in any corporate. And who the hell even takes 10Mbps leased line as it is their starting slab and it gets negotiated with the more bandwidth you assign to your network.

And given that your “unlimited” point of view which seem to really suck against Jio Fiber. We the users have a plan worth of 199 for 7 days as well which gives 1TB additional of limit on a 100Mbps as a combo plan. Even if you sum it up to 4 weeks it comes to just around Rs.798/mo for 4TB plus it can get added and stacked any time you are running out of the usage.
    Jio Fiber has a very flexible billing system and plans can be stacked and activated upon your own will if you are worried about running out of your very current bandwidth usage.

Last month I had used around 11gigs worth of download/upload using Jio Fiber.
    Maybe get your facts checked first. I know the word “truly unlimited” sucks for a lot of users as what the hell which web hosting company in the world does not advertise like this and all their plans are always covered by a FUP limit, it is all a part of a sale strategy.

• @upal said:

@Whoa said:

@upal said: Everybody knows that. He just mentioned that he had a 2TB limit on his ACT but other ISPs provide up to 3.3TB

What are you even saying? 10Mbps on a leased line does not have any level of FUP involved in any corporate. And who the hell even takes 10Mbps leased line as it is their starting slab and it gets negotiated with the more bandwidth you assign to your network.

And given that your “unlimited” point of view which seem to really suck against Jio Fiber. We the users have a plan worth of 199 for 7 days as well which gives 1TB additional of limit on a 100Mbps as a combo plan. Even if you sum it up to 4 weeks it comes to just around Rs.798/mo for 4TB plus it can get added and stacked any time you are running out of the usage.
    Jio Fiber has a very flexible billing system and plans can be stacked and activated upon your own will if you are worried about running out of your very current bandwidth usage.

Last month I had used around 11gigs worth of download/upload using Jio Fiber.
    Maybe get your facts checked first. I know the word “truly unlimited” sucks for a lot of users as what the hell which web hosting company in the world does not advertise like this and all their plans are always covered by a FUP limit, it is all a part of a sale strategy.

Edit: *11TB

• @upal said: What are you even saying? 10Mbps on a leased line does not have any level of FUP involved in any corporate.

With a 10mbps line you can not get more than 3200GB/month - this is not due to any FUP, this is due to basic algebra.
    (10 * 30 * 24 * 60 * 60) / (8 * 1024)

One poster mentioned his ACT connection categorically calling out his current 2 TB limit, you recommended Jio fiber instead. But you called it unlimited, omitting a mention of the actual limit that is in place.
    I merely corrected this.

what the hell

All statements in my posts have been just facts. What are you so worked up about?
    But I guess getting offended by facts is all the rage these days.

• @jsg said:
    Funny, Tata, an indian corporation/group runs some of the major international cables (afiak mostly sub-marine) and is one of the more attractive carriers even in Europe.

My guess (and really just a guess): indian bureaucracy, infrastructure not up-to-date, plus too many layers trying to make some money.

If I'd ever be interested in finding an indian colo (very, very unlikely) I'd look around and close by the cable landing points.

tata do provide in India but their prices are almost same in 2010 and 2021....

they charge too high and they target corporations than individuals because they know, individuals won't pay such amount anyways.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • Wide spread corruption in India doesn't allow proper competition among serious business. This leads to possible monopolies and prices are not as good as consumer expect given country cost of living. India is more than capable to lay down some good fiber under the ground.

OVH in India will be the same or even more expensive than SG.

Thanked by 1voxin
  • @LTniger said:
    Wide spread corruption in India doesn't allow proper competition among serious business. This leads to possible monopolies and prices are not as good as consumer expect given country cost of living. India is more than capable to lay down some good fiber under the ground.

I don't know much about india politics but I guarantee you every country faces the same problems when it comes to internet. It's always an oligarchy when it comes to internet/mobile.

There could be some factors causing internet to be expensive apart from pure greed. Even in US, there are rural areas still running on DSL or even no internet at all. It's not very worthwhile to run lines to areas with low population density or to areas which are too poor to pay for internet. If it were cheap and trivial to run fibre lines everywhere, frontier wouldn't have gone bankrupt running mostly on dsl and charging people $100+ monthly for few Mbps internet.

• @seenu said:

uhhh, i pay $60 a month for 100mbps in the us. significantly cheaper.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2021

@SirFoxy said:

@seenu said:

We are using 2 fiber connection here in Kolkata, India

For wishnet: paying Rs. 750 ($10) monthly for 100mbps unmetered fiver connection here in India.

And for alliancebroadband: we are paying Rs. 7000 + GST (Almost $100) monthly for 1Gbps unmetered fiber

Edited:

https://wishnet.in/tariff

http://alliancebroadband.co.in/index.php?page=NewTariff

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @ViridWeb said:

@SirFoxy said:

@seenu said:

For wishnet: paying Rs. 750 ($10) monthly for 100mbps unmetered fiver connection here in India.

And for alliancebroadband: we are paying Rs. 7000 + GST (Almost $100) monthly for 1Gbps unmetered fiber

Edited:

jio Giga fiber provide in Rs3999 [$55]
    https://www.jio.com/fiber/en-in/monthly-plans

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2021

@mhosting_in said:

@ViridWeb said:

@SirFoxy said:

@seenu said:

Edited:

jio Giga fiber provide in Rs3999 [$55]
    https://www.jio.com/fiber/en-in/monthly-plans

Yes I know. We also use jio 150mbps plan as well just because they provide IPv6. The other 2 provider don't provide that

Edited: The only issue I have with Jio is if we need some onsite support then we have to wait.

The other 2 provider I mentioned have office in our locality so we always get priority support.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @ViridWeb said:

@SirFoxy said:

@seenu said:

Edited:

You are using residential internet for servers?

• @SirFoxy said:

@seenu said:

Make sure you cater for currency disparity.

• @LTniger said:
    Wide spread corruption in India doesn't allow proper competition among serious business. This leads to possible monopolies and prices are not as good as consumer expect given country cost of living. India is more than capable to lay down some good fiber under the ground.

I doubt it is more so due to corruption than just market dynamics.
    Most of the country runs on Mobile data, which is very cheap now, owing to what Jio did in 5 years.
    Quite affordable to get a plan with unlimited calling and ~2GB of 4G data a day, for ~2$ a day.

Since the upfront cost for laying fibre is quite high, and there isn't a demand as significant as for LTE, companies are keeping prices high to make up for the loss in the mobile internet sector.
    An example is all broadband operators slashing prices by ~40% or doubling the data cap with double speeds once Jio started offering FTTH in the open market.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • upalupal Member
    edited February 2021

@Whoa said:
    All statements in my posts have been just facts. What are you so worked up about?
    But I guess getting offended by facts is all the rage these days.

What country do you live in even? Airtel has been pulling off the same strategy from the time when FUP was implemented in the first place. Everybody knows this, the guy I was talking to also knew that, everyone who uses any IT kind of service will obviously go through their ‘Terms of Service’ unless you’re an illiterate.
    Reading of a TOS does not mean you have your facts right or gained a level of knowledge but surely a retard not to read one. Wait a second who told you to shove your dick down a well where you're not welcome? Who’s talking to you anyway.

• Ok, That escalated quickly.

• Thanked by 2dosai vimalware