Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Bare Metal Hypervisor?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Bare Metal Hypervisor?

Hello,

I have a question.
For our company, we have a Hetzner server, and we want to create 2 vm's on it.
One Windows 2019 server, and one CentOS/Cpanel server.
Maybe in the future one more, but we dont know that yet.
What bare metal hypervisor is (relatively) easy to use, and has a good performance out of the box?

We are thinking of Proxmox. Because it looks easy, and free. :)
And it uses KVM, and i have experience with that.
But maybe there are better idea's.
The cheaper, the better of course.
For a couple of VM's i dont need esxi.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Use Proxmox if you are familiar with it.

• Proxmox is free but you pay like 80 bucks / year for the enterprise subscription which I think is worth it but it's not required.

You can def. use ESXi which is free, but if you want a little bit more functionality you need vcenter and pay for licensing.

Or you can just rent two VPS servers.

• @chihcherng said:
    Use Proxmox if you are familiar with it.

Iam not familiar with Proxmox. Only with KVM.

• RedPantherRedPanther Member
    edited February 2021

@marvel said:

We want to use a dedi, and have the freedom to fast add and remove a vm.

• @RedPanther said:

@marvel said:

We want to use a dedi, and have the freedom to fast add and remove a vm.

I would go with Proxmox then, you can't go wrong and the community support is great.

• Go with Xen. Solid and time proven.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • For a single node, Proxmox or ESXi.
    Proxmox is easy to use and free, and ESXi is rocksolid and supported by everything.

• Thanks for the responses. We already leaned towards Proxmox, so we will use that one.

• lpnlpn Member
    edited February 2021

@RedPanther said:
    Thanks for the responses. We already leaned towards Proxmox, so we will use that one.

Please share your experiences once you have used it

• @lpn said:

@RedPanther said:
    Thanks for the responses. We already leaned towards Proxmox, so we will use that one.

Please share your experiences once you have used it

Ok!

• @rcy026 said:
    For a single node, Proxmox or ESXi.
    Proxmox is easy to use and free, and ESXi is rocksolid and supported by everything.

Respectfully, I disagree. Since I have been using ESXi, I developed allergy for purple colour (never seen so many BSOD's on windows, as PSOD's on ESXi). And concerning "supported", ESXi is the most peculiar OS I have ever seen. Support even for expensive server-HW just a few years old is frequently dropped between minor versions without any warning.

HCL (hardware compatibility list) is another dissapointment: you can find some hw-raid controller listed as supported, but after you install ESXi, you find there is no way of array health monitoring. Etc, etc.

• @Jarry said:

@rcy026 said:

Respectfully, I disagree. Since I have been using ESXi, I developed allergy for purple colour (never seen so many BSOD's on windows, as PSOD's on ESXi). And concerning "supported", ESXi is the most peculiar OS I have ever seen. Support even for expensive server-HW just a few years old is frequently dropped between minor versions without any warning.

HCL (hardware compatibility list) is another dissapointment: you can find some hw-raid controller listed as supported, but after you install ESXi, you find there is no way of array health monitoring. Etc, etc.

Hehe same, I even prefer Xenserver over ESXi.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Uhm, isn't proxmox meant for providers? As in many VMs and probably on multiple (or even many) nodes?

How about simply using KVM and be done with those 2 or 3 VMs on a single node?

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • Proxmox is just frontend/management tool for kvm (similar as oVirt). You do not need it, but life is easier with it...

• @Jarry said:

@rcy026 said:

Thats peculiar, I know of probably hundreds of ESXi installations, most of them running for many many years, and I have never even heard of a problem with stability.
    Never had a problem with hardware support either, but granted, I only use HP or IBM servers almost exclusively, cant really speak for anything else.

• If you don't intend to rent servers, and just to have two servers installed for yourself, Proxmox is the way to go.

Here's something I spent a few months working on and scavenged the internet to create:
    https://pastebin.com/W6nveAMR

It's basically what you need to install Proxmox @ Hetzner

• @RedPanther said:
    Hello,

I have a question.
    What bare metal hypervisor is (relatively) easy to use, and has a good performance out of the box?

Thank you in advance!

virtualizor

• If your needs are simple, but you'd still prefer not to just use the command-line tools to create and manage the VMs, then perhaps just drop https://cockpit-project.org/ on the machine's existing setup to manage them. That supports managing KVM VMs, and is available in most distros' standard repositories (apparently for RedHat it has become the recommended simple interface for managing VMs, effectively deprecating the desktop app virt-manager).

For more complex needs, then proxmox as already recommended is probably the way to go.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • @RedPanther said:
    Hello,

I have a question.

Thank you in advance!

For a couple VMs, you can use KVM and manage it with Webmin/Cloudmin.