Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sync backup from VPS storage (CentOS) to my home PC (Windows)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sync backup from VPS storage (CentOS) to my home PC (Windows)

Hey,

I am using a VPS for storage and want to sync the files on them with my PC. So anytime something new is added or deleted on the VPS, it syncs with my PC and I have the latest files. Obviously my PC is not on all the time, so the syncing happens whenever I am online or like once each day or something.

Could you propose solutions to this problem?

Thank you.

Comments

• I don't want to backup to gdrive. I want to backup to my home pc. So I want to synchronize my VPS server with my home PC. I have plenty of room in my home PC. Why should I use Google Drive?

• @jokjok said:

I don't want to backup to gdrive. I want to backup to my home pc. So I want to synchronize my VPS server with my home PC. I have plenty of room in my home PC. Why should I use Google Drive?

Because google drive also syncs with multiple other devices? So you can have the live copy every time something changes and downloaded automatically to your home device

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited February 2021

Syncthing is very good for this use case! It's free and open-source, doesn't rely on a central server (it's all peer-to-peer, so your PC would directly communicate with your VPS) and setup is extremely simple. https://syncthing.net/

They've got an Android app too. I'm using it to synchronise photos from my phone onto my storage VPS.

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • rclone sync with task scheduler

Thanked by 2jokjok farsighter
  • OwnCloud or NextCloud is exact match for your needs.

• @seriesn said:

Because google drive also syncs with multiple other devices? So you can have the live copy every time something changes and downloaded automatically to your home device

But don't I need gdrive account and have to pay for it? Or does it do it for free? Like say, 100 GB?

I want to make use of my own free disk space at home instead of paying a 3rd party service when I can do it for free, no?

@Daniel15 said:
    They've got an Android app too. I'm using it to synchronise photos from my phone onto my storage VPS.

That sounds great. And is it possible to do it other way arround, sync from VPS to home?

@sayem314 said:
    rclone sync with task scheduler

Okay, thanks, have to look in to that. Does rclone work in Windows?

edited February 2021

@jokjok said: That sounds great. And is it possible to do it other way arround, sync from VPS to home?

Yes, it's bidirectional by default, meaning it syncs both ways.

Actually, it's more than just that. It's not restricted to just two computers; you can have the same folder synchronised to as many computers (and Android phones) as you want, and it'll keep it in sync across all of them.

If you do want a one-way sync, you can optionally set folders as "send only" or "receive only" per device. For example, I have the photos folder on my phone set to "send only" so that even after I delete a photo off the phone to save space, it stays on the storage VPS.

Thanked by 2jokjok nyamenk
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited February 2021

Resilio. Development appears to have slowed to a crawl, but still better than Syncthing.

That being said, I'll be looking at rsync +inotify to get best transfer speeds for large folders. Resilio is excellent for ease of use, but the added over head of torrent protocol means it won't be the best performance possible. For me, anyway.

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • A few years back, I use GoodSync, it was first combined with Roboform to sync the password to server, but then I use it to sync files from vps/ftp/webdav to my computer.

We can make a schedule to sync when our computer turned on, based on time, or when there's a file change

Thanked by 1jokjok
    edited February 2021

@TimboJones said: Resilio. Development appears to have slowed to a crawl, but still better than Syncthing.

What's better about Resilio compared to SyncThing? I compared both and ended up choosing SyncThing.

@TimboJones said: That being said, I'll be looking at rsync +inotify to get best transfer speeds for large folders.

You might find lsyncd useful. It uses inotify, aggregates the events, then spawns a process (rsync by default) to do the actual sync. It also has a hybrid rsync + SSH mode where transfers are done using rsync but moves and renames are done using SSH (to avoid having to transfer the entire file again as regular rsync would need to).

I personally haven't had perf issues with SyncThing though, and it was very easy to configure, so I haven't tried lsyncd yet.

Thanked by 2jokjok TimboJones
  • edited February 2021

I use https://freefilesync.org through sftp to backup my server. You can also use SyncBackPro for more features.

Thanked by 1jokjok
  • Need to set something like you keep the PC for particular hour online for sync to happen