Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Layering Volume Manager
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Layering Volume Manager

jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
edited January 2021 in Help

Are there Filesystems/Volume Managers that allow for a layered fs layout? I haven't tried out BTRFS, ZFS and have only worked with LVM to a limited extent so I'm not sure if what I'm describing is possible with those.

Basically what I'm trying to accomplish is sort of a factory reset setup, I have the base OS install on an immutable partition then layer another partition that only stores changes to it; so if I want to do a reset I just wipe out the layered partition and I would still have a working install.

I have had success with this setup using multiple basic partitions and overlayfs but find it too cumbersome to maintain, I've read about snapshots for LVM/BTRFS/ZFS but am still not quite sure if those can be used here.

Comments

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited January 2021

Just found out LVM snapshots are CoW and aren't anything special, they can be treated as simple block devices which exactly fits my needs.

I basically just need to mount the snapshot instead of the original volume to get the layered setup.

/thread but additional suggestions are also welcome