Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DIY CDN Node locations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DIY CDN Node locations

vyalavyala Member
edited September 2013 in General

I am setting up my own CDN for images (2 KB to 50KB in size) distribution.

Right now, I am using OVH CDN, pricing and performance is very good, I don't get the HTTP logs, I need HTTP referrer header and geographical region of users . MaxCDN and other CDN providers are very expensive, they provides the HTTP logs only for Enterprise customers.

Today I found that I can use Rage4 Networks, I am looking at couple of LEB VPS instance and got some.

When bandwidth is compared, I prefer to use USA and Europe VPS. I could not find any affordable provider in Singapore.

What are the best locations in Europe and USA to have decent CDN setup?. I can look for VPS providers near by.

Mirroring is not an issue since I use rackspace cloud files. I can get files locally on demand and cache it using openresty and lua.

My budget is about 100 USD per month.

Comments

• The obvious solution would be to have 3 servers in the US (west, mid and east) and 2 servers in the EU (GB and IT). Depending on the amount of traffic that should cost about 20$/month.

Thanked by 1vyala
  • @gsrdgrdghd Thanks

Do you think, the fail-over IP make sense if I buy 2 servers in each locations (2 x 3 servers in USA), 2 x 2 in EU. Rage4 seems to offer fail-over at DNS level, I can use the external services to monitor and pull out the failed nodes. As I mentioned, my servers are cookie-less, static servers, pull images from cloud-files, no database.

• I don't think so, especially since you'd have to find providers offering failover IPs in every location. If you have extra money to spend the best alternative is probably to just buy more servers.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

2 servers in the EU (GB and IT).

Both are terrible choices, in the boonies as far as networking is concerned.

In the EU first and foremost you want Frankfurt and/or Amsterdam.

Thanked by 3asf vyala ElliotJ
  • I did kind of the same setup using Rage4 DNS. It's amazing and easy to setup. I'm using the following locations (which all of them I got deals from LEB site):
    San Jose (2HOST)
    New Jersey, Chicago & Los Angeles (ChicagoVPS)
    Atlanta (RamHost)
    France (OVH.FR Kimsufi)

The funny thing, I have no use for a CDN, but I did find a cool way to setup tunnel to traffic everything through (example, connect to FTP via port 21 using the CDNDOMAIN.com and it will tunnel traffic through the best location to you).

The awesome part about Rage4 is that you can manually set the geolocation of the IP. I noticed that all of my IPs are not even close to the actual geolocation.

Thanked by 1vyala
  • I have a similar setup going on for streaming media.

Los Angeles, KC/Chicago, and NYC (now that there are enough cheap providers there) are good starts; though if you want cheapy-cheap, there's always Buffalo. Expanding out beyond those basic three, Seattle is good for PacNW and Dallas/Atlanta will help you round out Midwest and (l)East Coast.

Denver is nice too.

Frankfurt and Amsterdam, as rm_ said above, are good choices in Europe; I think there are one or two cheap Romanian providers.. and if you want to go all-out worldwide, EDIS is your one-stop shop.

Thanked by 1vyala
  • @ihatetonyy,

Any recommendation for fail-over setup? Do you find performance of LEB like 512 MB when they are over 1 Gbps network good for static contents?

• @vyala said:
    What are the best locations in Europe and USA to have decent CDN setup?. I can look for VPS providers near by.

Expanding on @rm_'s comments on Frankfurt/Amsterdam, the reasoning is that those cities host the largest internet exchanges (DE-CIX and AMS-IX)

In terms of best locations in the USA, San Jose and Miami are good locations for serving both their local clients, as well as Asian/South American due to submarine cables landing there. New York City is also a good bet.

• @vyala said:
    ihatetonyy,

Any recommendation for fail-over setup? Do you find performance of LEB like 512 MB when they are over 1 Gbps network good for static contents?

No idea about failover. I just have Rage4 do nearest-first geolocation. Also no experience with static content - everything ran is streaming. None of them have ever choked up, though, with 1Gbps; I would imagine streaming media might be more taxing on bandwidth because of having to both take in and spit out a stream.

• Would be good to have a POP in Asia too. A lot of the population is there.

• @concerto49 said:
    a POP in Asia

The prices! :(

• @vyala said:
    I could not find any affordable provider in Singapore.

You can consider OnApp CDN federation, there's a provider out there providing very cheap CDN out of SoftLayer facilities.

• I use Front Range's CDN, it has over 120 POP's and seems cheaper than hosting/creating your own.