Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A feedback is verry welcome !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A feedback is verry welcome !

cociucociu Member
edited January 2021 in Reviews

Hello Guys ,

in the last mont`s we have work hard and we keep think in how to improve more our old and new services. Yesterday due of some customers demands i got a ideea to make a upgrade in all our plans to 10gbps port speed (in all services except dedicated servers) ... the problems is this will create a huge downtime (i espect 8-10 hours) until all nodes will be up due of our network structure and some hardware too.

This will be a planned work with lets say 1-2 month before the due date.

The config what we have now to the nodes is :

2x10gbps (one line dedicated and the other burst)

In order to have a good quality after this i want to install a dual qsfp port in each proxmox node.

And now .. my interest is how you respond to this question :

YOU like a customer (even you are not , lets imagine you are) ... how is 8 hours of downtime in order to get 10gbps port speed for free after we suffer together ?

PS for the moment is only a supposition but i am 80% to make this possible because start from day 01.02.2022 i will have verry verry much traffic unused (cogent + another one wich will be surprise) ...

EDIT : This if will happen , will happen in Oradea Location first (like a pilot test) and if is all good we will replicate to all our locations.

Thanks all .

Thanked by 2BBTN Ganonk

Comments

• Can you provide exact time when it start?
    So we can also prepare for the downtime.
    And make us notice that it’s start. :smiley:

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2021

Sure. But for the love of aliens, please establish a day with a huge time in advance, try to stick with it as a gentleman's promise, and inform all the affected customers in a simple plain-text email message way before this happens. This way people will not come to complain here with more popcorn drama, and it will make all life on earth easier (including penguins which have nothing to do with Linux).

• cociucociu Member
    edited January 2021

@default said: Sure. But for the love of aliens, please establish a day with a huge time in advance, try to stick with it as a gentleman's promise, and inform all the affected customers in a simple plain-text email message way before this happens. This way people will not come to complain here with more popcorn drama, and it will make all life on earth easier (including penguins which have nothing to do with Linux).

edited the thread, is clear will be with 2-3 emails informed and with at least 1 month before this. For the moment i want to see how the people is react in such things and if is worth to think in such upgrade . First of all we need to buy the parts what is missing for such move, etc etc.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I can see this being a problem for some people if their primary or solo service is with you but 8 hours to get free 10g sounds good. I am not a customer though.

• @risharde said: BF/CM Grabs: 1-GeorgeDataCenter, 1-Netcup, 1-Avoro, 1-PHP-Friends, 1-Virtono, 1-AlphaVPS, 1-VirMach ($1/year!), 1-MxRoute

Other VPS: 4-Virmachs

in such list you have in your signature i am same not be pressent :)

• I have a few services with you, as long as a warning is given I can't see how many people would complain about a free upgrade.

• do it , it is a must

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • @notarobo said: do it , it is a must

the problem is with +1200 vms ... the rest is easy because the network/servers is prepared to this upgrade is missing only some clicks ... but still 1200 clients is 1200 clients.

• As it seems, it will not affect me either. I am a customer Norway in data center. However, I do like HostSolutions passion for servers and their vertical stand against traffic mirroring towards corrupted politicians of Romania; so I express my opinion precisely because I don't like to see their image thrown into dirt by customers complaining on LET. Notifications in advance could help the affected clients.

• I'm fine with that downtime for 10Gbps upgrade, but I'm not in Oradea location so I will have to wait a bit.

• Don't get me wrong for most people 1gig is more than enough maybe increase their monthly bandwidth by 10%, but "planned" 8 hours of downtime for free upgrade doesn't sound terrible.It might even reduce the problems created by bad people maxing port speed.

• @codelock said: Don't get me wrong for most people 1gig is more than enough maybe increase their monthly bandwidth

we have the 10tb storage plan for exemple right now. Plan to add plans up to 50tb/vm in the future ... so think a client need his backup asap so in this case will be perfect to have 10gbps port speed. Yesterday we had 2 tiketing related to this huge client who was need to save like 18tb.

• notarobonotarobo Member
    edited January 2021

@cociu said:

@notarobo said: do it , it is a must

the problem is with +1200 vms ... the rest is easy because the network/servers is prepared to this upgrade is missing only some clicks ... but still 1200 clients is 1200 clients.

you come long way from shit service to now, don't stop moving up. I am 1201 client in next 7 days in Bucharest

• @notarobo said: you come long way from shit service to now, don't stop moving up. I am 1201 client in next 7 days in Bucharest

this is 90% true ... at least you have 100% reason for the last year and no reason for the rest period of our existence (from 2012) . BUT you make me happy to see you noted the difference. What i can assure every person who buy our services we do all what we can (all people who work in Hostsolutions.ro) to have a nice customer experience.

Thanked by 1notarobo
  • Upgrades are always welcome and tbh expected. 8 hours of downtime is much, but I am pretty sure most people could live with it :)

Can you re-use that time to upgrade more things? Idk, put more RAM or replace some old soon-to-fail drivers so you can also count this as 'maintenance' and avoid that one in future? :)

• @cociu said:

@notarobo said: you come long way from shit service to now, don't stop moving up. I am 1201 client in next 7 days in Bucharest

this is 90% true ... at least you have 100% reason for the last year and no reason for the rest period of our existence (from 2012) . BUT you make me happy to see you noted the difference. What i can assure every person who buy our services we do all what we can (all people who work in Hostsolutions.ro) to have a nice customer experience.

and now wish you best business and best uptime , now that become one small client of many

• HakimHakim Member
    edited January 2021

8-10 hours of downtime, I am perfectly ok with this as long as I receive the exact timeline at least 24 hours ago. Though if someone host a production application on his VM, 8-10 hours of downtime is quite a big deal for him. Still, I believe they can make a temporary solution as you are giving them enough time.

• I am okay with downtime

• By given the advance notice, i guess 100% of your customers willing to wait for even longer to see the network upgrades. excited to see it happens

• cociucociu Member
    edited January 2021

@derekyang said: excited to see it happens

like i have told i am 80% to make it , will see how the people is react to this and if is all ok for sure we will swich, menatime looking for temporary solutions to cut from the downtime period if is possible like Add more people in the day programmed, like find another solutions wich is less downtime etc etc.

The easy way for us is wait until the client is gone and start to provide all services with 10gbps.The migration is difficult due of petabytes of data ...(i think imposible) . OR send a newsletter to the clients and offer this like we have done with ovz to kvm ... (i had no succes with this like i have expected , we still have a bunch of old ovz ...even ovz is old kernel and for my personal opinion is shit with money ...).

• no problem @cociu . all for greatness. but as others request. please inform 72hrs before the downtime. maybe here in Let or formally via email for affecting customer.

Thank you. All the best.

• @cociu said: will see how the people is react

Always there are ppl over react when the downtime happens, perhaps just to anticipate how to deal with those unreasonable requests during downtime (auto replay to the tickets and close it etc) , personally i still prefer a big bang upgrade as customer :)

• Im fine with 8hrs of Downtime and think for added capacity to the Nodes its great.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@cociu

Obviously upgrading all nodes to 10 Gb/s would be great - but so will a few shady people think and flock to HostSolutions and create problems. Be sure to think about and prepare for that too.

8 - 10 hours downtime outside of european business hours wouldn't be much of a problem I think, because (I mean this honest, not sarcastic) your customers are used to occasional down times, and this time they'd actually get a significant "reward".
    But are you sure, really sure that it won't become more? Frankly, if any possible I'd strongly suggest to change a single node only to test your procedure, config changes, etc. and only then do all the other nodes, preferably in batches with a shorter downtime.

Finally, also be sure to inform in advance in case the virtual network controller of the VPSs changes so there are no ugly surprises for users (whose OS suddenly sees a different network controller).

Oh and good luck in case you go ahead with your idea.

Thanked by 1k4zz
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jsg said: Obviously upgrading all nodes to 10 Gb/s would be great - but so will a few shady people think and flock to HostSolutions and create problems. Be sure to think about and prepare for that too.

My thoughts exactly... :/

• @cociu Fortunately, I'm at the Oradea node. It's a good thing to upgrade for free. Just send an email in advance.

• I'm fine with that downtime for 10Gbps upgrade.

• 8 Days Hours for that update would be fine for me, too. ;)

• Why not just offer the 10Gbps as standard on the larger storage plans & as an optional add on to the smaller plans - say an additional 1 euro.

/runs

• does it include 1tb/50eur/3year package? Have very low speed on that plan.