Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi flashsale ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi flashsale ?

Comments

• @Bob_v2 said:
    In case somebody wants to have more details, mine was:

Intel i5-2300 / 4c/4t @ 2.8GHz /16GB DDR3 1333 MHz /2T
    12.99 + VAT + 9.99 SETUP + VAT

I received an i5-2400 ( very minor upgrade), 100Mbps (no upgrade), 2TB disk (model HUS726020ALA610) HGST Ultrastar® 7K6000.

i5-2300 has passmark of 3343, i5-2400 has passmark of 3793, so like 14% more CPU power

How many hours on your HDD though? Also, Do you know how I run test to check for fault in HDD/RAM maybe? Thanks

• @ps20090 said: Do you know how I run test to check for fault in HDD/RAM maybe? Thanks

Boot into rescue, memtest/smartmon is built in.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@ps20090 said:

@Bob_v2 said:
    In case somebody wants to have more details, mine was:

Intel i5-2300 / 4c/4t @ 2.8GHz /16GB DDR3 1333 MHz /2T

I received an i5-2400 ( very minor upgrade), 100Mbps (no upgrade), 2TB disk (model HUS726020ALA610) HGST Ultrastar® 7K6000.

i5-2300 has passmark of 3343, i5-2400 has passmark of 3793, so like 14% more CPU power

How many hours on your HDD though? Also, Do you know how I run test to check for fault in HDD/RAM maybe? Thanks

When the machine gets delivered, there is a PDF attached, Kimsufi already tested the hardware.

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited September 2020

Well, if you are lucky, in CA your i3 can be upgraded ...

Last year, instead of an i3 2130, I get an i3-3240 and a HDD with 40 hours !

• @ps20090 said:

5917 hours so around 250 days... pretty low for an enterprise grade disk.

• matlagmatlag Member
    edited September 2020

Ordered my KS7 yesterday and 120secs later... nothing. I got email confirmation my order was placed but I'm actually still waiting. Hope this won't end up a a bad surprise, the KS7 is still listed available within 120secs as of this morning (QC time).

EDIT: Actually the issue was on my end. I added the payment method AFTER ordering and so it was not used automatically. The system was waiting for my payment and sure enough, I have now my KS7 ready to roll!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Pretty much half of OP's thread history is regarding Kimsufi flashsale.

Kinda feel sorry for the dude and it's also kinda sad?

• hzrhzr Member
    edited September 2020

@matlag said: EDIT: Actually the issue was on my end. I added the payment method AFTER ordering and so it was not used automatically. The system was waiting for my payment and sure enough, I have now my KS7 ready to roll!

I have to admit OVH is an oddball for payments. I've had servers autoterminated because of no payment (on ovh.com, not KS / SYS), while there was a credit card added to the account. It feels like half of OVH services are autobilling and half of OVH services are "click this renew.cgi url every month, can't add a card, sorry, just pay one-time every month or pay 12 months at a time"

You'd also imagine that it would automatically capture payment off the only payment method you have added to an account specifically authorised for billing but...?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The issue with OVH is that their billing system remains in 60s.

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • @boernd said:

@Neoon said:
    https://www.kimsufi.com/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=1901sk21 ok

Intel i5-2300
    4c/4t @ 2.8GHz
    16GB DDR3 1333 MHz
    2T

not that great
    I have exactly the same kimsufi server and I'm paying 10.99 for it.

@boernd - How did you manage to get it for €10.99 ? - Was that an old offer ?

I have the same offer as above when I purchased it in April 2019.

• @happyman said:

@boernd said:

@Neoon said:
    https://www.kimsufi.com/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=1901sk21 ok

Intel i5-2300
    4c/4t @ 2.8GHz
    16GB DDR3 1333 MHz
    2T

not that great
    I have exactly the same kimsufi server and I'm paying 10.99 for it.

@boernd - How did you manage to get it for €10.99 ? - Was that an old offer ?

Yes, purchased in June 2016

Thanked by 1happyman
  • @hzr said: I've had servers autoterminated because of no payment (on ovh.com, not KS / SYS), while there was a credit card added to the account.

I had similar with paypal, I added funds but they wont autorenew with the funds, i have to renew manually, paying with the balance.

• Hope they have a flash sale soon again :-)

• @wii747 said:
    Hope they have a flash sale soon again :-)

Their KS-07 flash sale from 2018 is still live:

https://www.kimsufi.com/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=1804sk181

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • wii747wii747 Member
    edited January 2021

@CyberneticTitan said:

@wii747 said:
    Hope they have a flash sale soon again :-)

Their KS-07 flash sale from 2018 is still live:

https://www.kimsufi.com/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=1804sk181

interesting, would perfer EU server but thanks for that info I have ordered it :smile:

• I wrote a telegram bot to check ks-02. It has been running every 5 minutes since two months. Still nothing but I have a hope. :)

• @ederlezi said:
    I wrote a telegram bot to check ks-02. It has been running every 5 minutes since two months. Still nothing but I have a hope. :)

server hunter discord / metadedi discord bots, give me a notification of ks-01 a couple of times a week

Thanked by 2ederlezi password_
  • @ServerNotFound said:

@ederlezi said:
    I wrote a telegram bot to check ks-02. It has been running every 5 minutes since two months. Still nothing but I have a hope. :)

server hunter discord / metadedi discord bots, give me a notification of ks-01 a couple of times a week

Thanks, I have two ks-01.

• @ServerNotFound said:

@ederlezi said:

how do I join the group for notifactions?

• AmplificatorAmplificator Member
    edited January 2021

What do people use servers like the KS1 for? I'm genuinely asking, as the resources are so low that getting basically any regular VPS would seem like a better choice?

KS1 gets a CPU passmark score of a measly 222 points.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @Amplificator said:
    What do people use servers like the KS1 for? I'm genuinely asking, as the resources are so low that getting basically any regular VPS would seem like a better choice?

Ever heard of unmetered bandwidth with lots of storage for this cheap

• @codelock said:

@Amplificator said:

Ever heard of unmetered bandwidth with lots of storage for this cheap

That is why I'm asking what people use it for.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited January 2021

@Amplificator said:

Email or anything else requiring privacy that can’t be hosted at home. No VPS provider being able to dump memory (and FDE keys with it) at the touch of a button, and Atom CPUs are in-order and therefore immune to many/all the CPU security bugs in recent years

Thanked by 2Chronic rm_
  • edited January 2021

@Amplificator said:
    What do people use servers like the KS1 for?

Backups, static hosting (or simple not-so-static hosting), seedboxes maybe...

As prices elsewhere have dropped and the Kimsufi ones haven't, the lowest spec boxes are not as attractive as they once were for some use cases. You still won't find many plans (any outside of special offers?) that give 500Gb storage and 2Gb dedicated RAM for that price though, so if your use is not CPU intensive and you need the space and/or RAM they can still be an excellent deal. And that CPU is all yours so you have consistent power even if it is low power and you'll never be stung by a vague "fair use" policy (what difference that makes depends on how much a host's cores are oversold and how noisy your neighbours are).

Bandwidth may be capped at 100mbit, and sometimes you don't get that as it is a shared resource, but it is unmetered and I've not noted significant slowdowns whenever I've needed mine to do bulk transfers.

Mine is mostly a secondary backup location and for storing/transferring bulk data between friends (faster than the uplink of our home connections), and runs a DNS server & private VPN too. It used to host other bits but no longer does. Aside from the drive glitch some months ago which made me consider decommissioning, it has run reliably for years and the network has seemed reliable for all that time.

If you are lucky you might get even more storage. I hear tales of some coming with 1T drives instead of half. The ½T drive in mine died and they replaced it with a 2T (usefully it didn't die immediately, when it started behaving oddly I moved the bits of data that wasn't already copied elsewhere (its own logs mainly, some of those shared files) off to another machine and tried a some diagnostics and an OS rebuild during which it failed more completely).

The storage not being RAIDed at all is my main concern, if it goes it all goes, but I bet many similarly cheap deals on VPSs are not on properly redundant storage either (and you are still at the mercy of host cockups: I've had entire VMs lost which is no different effectively to the drive in this box failing).

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
  • @Amplificator said:

They say Atom D425 for KS-01 but they give Atom N2800. It's approximately equal to my laptops CPU so I know my limits. VPS can be more powerful but ks-01 has 500GB Disk, no bw, 100 Mbps (all is yours).

My usage:
    Host sites with centminmod,
    VPN (softether),
    Torrent (Transmission),
    Also I tried directadmin on KS-01, still good performance for 10 web sites and 1000 simultaneous visitors,
    And test environment.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Amplificator said:

Unmetered, dedicated box on OVH network = good seedbox

• edited January 2021

@ederlezi said:

https://www.kimsufi.com/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=1801sk14 KS-2 in stock.

EDIT: sorry, it's a KS-3

Thanked by 2ederlezi password_
  • edited January 2021

@ederlezi said:

@Amplificator said:

They say Atom D425 for KS-01 but they give Atom N2800.

That is arbitrary, you might get a D425. I'm not sure what the balance is (mine is an N2800 too) but they quote D425 as some definitely will have that CPU. If you get better that is a bonus. Similarly, some report getting larger drives than the stated 500GB.

For single-threaded workloads (hashing a file, compression with an algorithm that doesn't lend itself to threading, ...) the two CPUs are very similar (each of the N2800's two cores having slightly better performance than the D425's single one) so for most of my use which involves a lot of rsync with not usually more than one running concurrently (and other things that are not CPU-bound anyway) the difference is marginal.

• i have 6 ks1 ... most of them are mining storj
    since all 6 of them got 2tb disks.
    not too bad for 3.99€ monthly!

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited January 2021

My KS-01 HDD just won't die after more than 8 years so I can get a 2TB disk as replacement.