Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you host your DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do you host your DNS?

Looking to switch away from Cloudflare for privacy reasons.
Do you host your own DNS server or use a hosted one? And if so, which?

Thanked by 1PandoGulf

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

ClouDNS.

Thanked by 1Moofie
  • I use OVH DNS

Thanked by 1Moofie
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

I host it by myself

Thanked by 2Moofie dedotatedwam
  • verovero Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

If you use any provider's DNS you sacrifice your privacy. If you run your own, you will likely sacrifice response time. I'm not sure what is so private about DNS, perhaps unless you don't want to share usage data etc.

Thanked by 3Moofie pbx JasonM
  • OhJohnOhJohn Member
    edited January 2021

ClouDNS, but looking for a good secondary dns service. The problem: mirroring geodns configs...

Thanked by 1Moofie
  • https://dynu.com

Been hosting with Dynu for a long time. It works and supports all DNS records and DNSSEC. Its very fast and hastle free.

Thanked by 1Moofie
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

dns.he.net

Had no issues at all over the last 5 or so years.

• agomezagomez Member, Host Rep

I use more than one, according to the site, cloudflare, route53, most hosted their own dns server

Thanked by 1Moofie
  • he.net :smiley:

Thanked by 3Moofie Doragon themew
  • ClouDNS mainly.

Thanked by 1Moofie
  • I host my own DNS server.

Thanked by 1Moofie
  • DNS.HE.NET and ClouDNS

• HE.net, NS1, Oracle and self-hosted.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Cloudflare

• Self hosted

PowerDNS makes it less painful to manage

• Hurricane Electric.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • HE, ns1, Cloudflare

Once used cloudns but they do not offer dnssec for free accounts. Switched to ns1 then.

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • rackspace

• Self hosted or Cloudflare

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • only Cloudflare

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2021

I used to use ClouDNS but I self-host now, using PowerDNS

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Both master and multiple slaves hosted on some small cheap VPS. Using NSD. No DNSSec nonsense. Even the smallest 256 MB (actually even 128 but they are uncommon nowadays) VPSs are more than good enough.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:
    Even the smallest 256 MB (actually even 128 but they are uncommon nowadays) VPSs are more than good enough.

Right, until you get DDoSed, then you quickly remember how cool Cloudflare was :)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2021

@vero said:

@jsg said:
    Even the smallest 256 MB (actually even 128 but they are uncommon nowadays) VPSs are more than good enough.

Right, until you get DDoSed, then you quickly remember how cool Cloudflare was :)

Won't happen. My servers are configured properly and those scum-heads will use some of the plenty available ones that serve their purposes better.

Unless you mean they don't abuse them as amplifiers (which won't work) but rather attack them. Well, in that case they'd need to attack all of them, which is ridiculously unlikely too for some reasons I won't elaborate on.

Well, whatever, I choose that risk any day over being victimized by some CF - which I never found cool in the first place.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Vultr. But tinkering with self hosting on BuyVM's anycast boxes :)

• redgreenblueredgreenblue Member
    edited January 2021

Self-hosted, with NSD. According to dnsperf.com, it performs better than using Linode's DNS service. Used Knot DNS and djbdns previously.

Looked at ClouDNS several times, but could not see its attraction neither over Linode's DNS nor my self-hosted solution both in terms of cost and performance.

• My personal domains run on a bunch of self hosted masters/slaves with he.net as slaves.

• Me, I and myself.

But for serious stuff, I just use the domain registrar's DNS service.

It feels like it resolves faster this way, I know this has nothing to support it and probably 100 % not true. But It just feels this way to me :smiley:

• @aglodek said:
    Vultr. But tinkering with self hosting on BuyVM's anycast boxes :)

The main downside with BuyVM anycast is that Asia Pacific coverage isn't too good given they only have servers in the US and Europe. Also their network in Europe isn't fantastic (Cogent in Europe isn't that good) but it's totally fine for DNS. I use BuyVM anycast for most of my sites, but I have a few sites where the users are primarily based in Australia, and for those I use VPSes hosted in Australia for the DNS.

• I‘m using rage4. They have the best GeoDNS imho.