Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A fresher, more stable and more secure billing system has now launched. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A fresher, more stable and more secure billing system has now launched.

Comments

• Hi

Footer seems misaligned on mobile. Also profile picture ratio become weird.

Good luck

Thanked by 1Jord
  • Wonder which large provider will make the first move towards BillingServ. Tried the demo on desktop. Looks good actually. Good luck !

Thanked by 1Jord
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@ferri said:

Hi

Footer seems misaligned on mobile. Also profile picture ratio become weird.

Good luck

Thank you for spotting that, I will get that fixed and pushed.

Thanks for wishing us luck :heart:

@DreamCaster said:
    Wonder which large provider will make the first move towards BillingServ. Tried the demo on desktop. Looks good actually. Good luck !

Thank you means a lot, we have lots of exciting things coming up this year. So it's going to be even better.

• @Jord said:

@ben47955 said:
    How do you prevent of being nuke by flash sale ? If a provider nuke the billing, how do you prevent to not affect other provider using your service ?

We have multiple servers around the world that are load-balanced, so we can add and remove servers as needed. Plus we can balance the load if a customer is getting more attention than everyone else. Our system is fully monitored.

This seems a little bit marketing gimmick... How you can keep load balancing and concurrency at the same time ? I will give you a example. Imagine this is Black Friday. You have Virmach running crazy sale, including with bot trying to stole all deals. At the same time, you have dozen of other host trying to sold their crazy offer, but still sustainable. Virmach trying literally to shutdown the billing. This affecting his customer and this his their choice. But how other host can't be affected ? More, how customer who don't take part of any sale can be not affected ? At the same time, you need to keep concurrency, because someone may take advantage of this to abuse the sale. How you deal with that ?

Not trying to bitch your work, I'm just interested in how you solve this.

Thanked by 1Jord
  • @Jord said:

@Amplificator said:
    @Jord What languages do you support?

Currently English, but we have the language files and the language system ready to go. We are going to start translating it into other languages soon.

What language would you like to see?

Danish, but I'm not holding my breath :)

Thanked by 1Jord

@ben47955 said:

@Jord said:

@ben47955 said:
    How do you prevent of being nuke by flash sale ? If a provider nuke the billing, how do you prevent to not affect other provider using your service ?

We have multiple servers around the world that are load-balanced, so we can add and remove servers as needed. Plus we can balance the load if a customer is getting more attention than everyone else. Our system is fully monitored.

This seems a little bit marketing gimmick... How you can keep load balancing and concurrency at the same time ? I will give you a example. Imagine this is Black Friday. You have Virmach running crazy sale, including with bot trying to stole all deals. At the same time, you have dozen of other host trying to sold their crazy offer, but still sustainable. Virmach trying literally to shutdown the billing. This affecting his customer and this his their choice. But how other host can't be affected ? More, how customer who don't take part of any sale can be not affected ? At the same time, you need to keep concurrency, because someone may take advantage of this to abuse the sale. How you deal with that ?

Sorry for my late reply here,

We utilise our pod system, which we can add and remove servers when extra capacity is needed. For instance Black Friday, we would add more resources to our pods so we can sustain continued use for crazy sales. Our monitoring is able to add/remove servers from our DNS in case of any failures. Plus it would alert us to any incoming issues.

We are also able to balance the load between nodes in our pods, via our system. So if one server isn't coping we are able to shift traffic to another server if it's being used less. Our pods have their data replicated to all nodes so we can easily move traffic around if needs be.

Thank you for your questions, it certainly does help us to build a stronger network/billing.

BillingServ is very lightweight too, so doesn't use a lot of resources so we can scale up and down as we need to.

Thanked by 1ben47955

@Amplificator said:

@Jord said:

@Amplificator said:
    @Jord What languages do you support?

Currently English, but we have the language files and the language system ready to go. We are going to start translating it into other languages soon.

What language would you like to see?

Danish, but I'm not holding my breath :)

If we can find someone to translate it, I will of course get it added :)

• @Jord said:

@ben47955 said:

@Jord said:

@ben47955 said:

Sorry for my late reply here,

We utilise our pod system, which we can add and remove servers when extra capacity is needed. For instance Black Friday, we would add more resources to our pods so we can sustain continued use for crazy sales. Our monitoring is able to add/remove servers from our DNS in case of any failures. Plus it would alert us to any incoming issues.

We are also able to balance the load between nodes in our pods, via our system. So if one server isn't coping we are able to shift traffic to another server if it's being used less. Our pods have their data replicated to all nodes so we can easily move traffic around if needs be.

Thank you for your questions, it certainly does help us to build a stronger network/billing.

BillingServ is very lightweight too, so doesn't use a lot of resources so we can scale up and down as we need to.

Kubernetes promises a lot of things, the reality is quite different if you had production experience with it at least with prior versions.

Also adding more hosts to Kubernetes cluster may work, but if you are not prepared with underlying hardware or use some cloud provider like AWS with large capacity and specific region with "no" limits then it may work out, if that's not the case then you can get pretty f**ed up when sh*t hits the fan I mean traffic :smiley: .

Automated scaling is very hard in my opinion and takes quite a time to sustain, people mostly run it in semi auto mode, meaning that a human intervention is needed.

Since you are ISO27001 and PCI DSS compliant, I guess you have taken extra care about pod networking security.

The thing you are missing out is big enterprises such as telco providers.
    On the other hand as you mentioned it's not for everyone and your pricing is more targeting smaller hosts.

Good luck and have fun with v2 :smiley: !

Thanked by 1Jord

@Vita said: Kubernetes promises a lot of things, the reality is quite different if you had production experience with it at least with prior versions.

Also adding more hosts to Kubernetes cluster may work, but if you are not prepared with underlying hardware or use some cloud provider like AWS with large capacity and specific region with "no" limits then it may work out, if that's not the case then you can get pretty f**ed up when sh*t hits the fan I mean traffic .

Automated scaling is very hard in my opinion and takes quite a time to sustain, people mostly run it in semi auto mode, meaning that a human intervention is needed.

While we don't use Kubernetes, we do have our own deployment system that allows us to add/remove servers into our pods as and when we need them. So that really helps us to deploy new servers very quickly for growth and or traffic spikes.

We continue to test our systems to make sure everything is working as it should be, if any issues are found we work to resolve them quickly.

@Vita said: Since you are ISO27001 and PCI DSS compliant, I guess you have taken extra care about pod networking security.

Yes we have, anything sensitive that goes through our pods is secured and maintained to our set of standards via our ISO 27001 ISMS and adheres to PCI Compliance regs.

@Vita said: The thing you are missing out is big enterprises such as telco providers.

On the other hand as you mentioned it's not for everyone and your pricing is more targeting smaller hosts.

We can be used by anyone, little or big, we've actually had some interest from big companies in the US, which has given us some extra ideas on how to build BillingServ out. The sticking point with some people is that we host their data. But like I said we can't please everyone, and I wouldn't want to either. So it's ok.

@Vita said: Good luck and have fun with v2 !

Thank you, it means a lot :)

• @Jord

-do you have multiple instance of the system, by region for instance. Let say I want my data to never touch UK servers and want it all on US how do you manage?

-What isolation mechanism have you implemented to prevent a breach from affecting all customers at once?

-What kind of code / audits, inspections and test have you done with external entities? Any certifications and/or report from external entities? Any recurrent audits with external entities in place? You are asking for a lot of trust of potential customers /companies. Imagine a breach of all your customer's customers info. I mean that would be terrifying! Why would you say you are better than WHMCS or even Blesta? At least on Blesta I can read the code, see how competent they are or look for potential vulnerabilities.

-You mentioned you are not using Kubernetes yet you are talking about pods, worries me that you guys re-created the wheel thinking you could do it better... what are you guys using that you call it "pods", a custom implementation of docker?

-Is data encrypted and at REST? Is every customer data encrypted with a different key?

-What's your server distribution across region?

just my 2 cents important questions..

Thanked by 1Jord

Thank you for your questions :)

@Hxxx said: -do you have multiple instance of the system, by region for instance. Let say I want my data to never touch UK servers and want it all on US how do you manage?

When you sign up for an account with us, you have the option of choosing from our two regions, USA with NYC, LA and Miami. Or our EU Region with NL, DE and PRG. So if you pick the US pod no data will reside on our EU pods. They are completely separate.

@Hxxx said: -What isolation mechanism have you implemented to prevent a breach from affecting all customers at once?

Once you deploy a BillingServ instance via our control panel, your site is set up with its own database. So your data is completely separate from everyone else's. They have no connections to any other database.

@Hxxx said: What kind of code / audits, inspections and test have you done with external entities? Any certifications and/or report from external entities? Any recurrent audits with external entities in place? You are asking for a lot of trust of potential customers /companies. Imagine a breach of all your customer's customers info. I mean that would be terrifying! Why would you say you are better than WHMCS or even Blesta? At least on Blesta I can read the code, see how competent they are or look for potential vulnerabilities.

Our systems/code is tested via external companies, we also test our code internally every time we push an update. All our systems are Pen Tested along with PCI Compliance checks in line with our ISO 27001. We also have an external consultant who views our code before we push any updates live.

@Hxxx said: -You mentioned you are not using Kubernetes yet you are talking about pods, worries me that you guys re-created the wheel thinking you could do it better... what are you guys using that you call it "pods", a custom implementation of docker?

We don't use Docker/Kubernetes, we aren't trying to reinvent the wheel either. We were coming up with names for our regions and pods stuck. That is all. We have our own deployment system that helps us to quickly bring up new servers. It's as simple as that :)

@Hxxx said: -Is data encrypted and at REST? Is every customer data encrypted with a different key?

Sensitive data is encrypted at rest yes.

@Hxxx said: -What's your server distribution across region?

We have USA with New York, Los Angeles, and Miami. Then the EU is Netherlands, Germany, and Prague.

All with our own GeoDNS system which helps us move load across our pods and allows us to drop a server quickly for maintenance or if a server goes down. You will always hit the server closest to you, depending on which region you selected when setting up your BillingServ Install.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
    1. How can anyone add their Payment Method, I mean Module ??
    2. Custom SSL supported ??
    3. What about integration of other control panels ??
    4. What about Domain Registrar Modules ??
    Thanked by 1Jord
  • I played around with the demo a bit and found some issues.

1. Prorating is broken and doesn't calculate properly
    2. "Package options" does not calculate price properly
    3. URL slug works but does not update the links on the order page or the backend

And some small suggestions:
    1. Maybe it would be good to have more options for coupon codes eg. apply only to some packages
    2. Seems like there's no options to change currency?

Thanked by 1Jord

Thank you for taking a look at our demo and bringing these issues to my attention @smallbibi

@smallbibi said: Prorating is broken and doesn't calculate properly

Thank you for this, I have asked the devs to get this fixed.

@smallbibi said: "Package options" does not calculate price properly

Ah yes I see this, thank you for pointing this out, I've asked them to fix it to.

@smallbibi said: URL slug works but does not update the links on the order page or the backend

I can't seem to replicate this one? I was able to update a group name and it updated the slug just fine on the frontend and backend. The packages don't need the URL Slug so I will get that removed, it was just from the template. As the packages use numbers for their URLs so that won't update.

If you meant something else then please let me know :)

@smallbibi said: 1. Maybe it would be good to have more options for coupon codes eg. apply only to some packages

Thank you, I will take a look into this and see what we can come up with.

@smallbibi said: 2. Seems like there's no options to change currency?

You can change the default currency and add multi-currency via Settings -> Invoice Settings.

I will come back shortly and let you know once these issues have been resolved. Thanks again for reporting them to me.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider

@Jord This looks interesting! Nice work!

Can you provide a timeframe for the Proxmox integration on v2?

Thanked by 1Jord

@launchvps said:

Thank you :heart:

We are looking at the next few weeks. We are just getting ready to test our integration. As soon as that's done I will update this thread and let you know it's been launched :)

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @Jord said:

@launchvps said:

We are looking at the next few weeks. We are just getting ready to test our integration. As soon as that's done I will update this thread and let you know it's been launched :)

That would be awesome.

Thanked by 1Jord

Thank you for your questions :)

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: How can anyone add their Payment Method, I mean Module ??

We would have to code the payment module into our system for you, is there one you are currently looking for?

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Custom SSL supported ??

With our new update, you'll be able to setup a CNAME record for a custom domain and we will auto-deploy a Lets Encrypt SSL Cert for you on our servers.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: What about integration of other control panels ??

We currently have cPanel and DirectAdmin, plesk is coming soon. What other control panels would you like to see?

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: What about Domain Registrar Modules ??

These are coming too, on the list will be OpenSRS, Resellerclub, Openprovider and many more. We are just in the process of getting these upgraded to v2.

Thanks again for the questions, if there is anything I can do to help or you have any further questions please do let me know :heart:

@seriesn said:

@Jord said:

@launchvps said:

That would be awesome.

Thanks sir, we will also be launching our Virtualizor plugin too.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Jord said: With our new update, you'll be able to setup a CNAME record for a custom domain and we will auto-deploy a Lets Encrypt SSL Cert for you on our servers.

What about if anyone holds an OV/EV for his business ??

Thanked by 1Jord

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@Jord said: With our new update, you'll be able to setup a CNAME record for a custom domain and we will auto-deploy a Lets Encrypt SSL Cert for you on our servers.

What about if anyone holds an OV/EV for his business ??

They can just let us know and we will deploy it for them. No problem at all.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited April 2021

With everything going on with WHMCS, @Jord got some refugee hookup?

Migration assistance?

@seriesn said:
    With everything going on with WHMCS, @Jord got some refugee hookup?

Migration assistance?

We do offer 15% discount for anyone who moves to us. You've just need to reach out and we will get it applied.

Yes we do have importers, we can help with that too if there are any issues.

Thanked by 1battlebright
  • why your pricing and method similar to whmcs.
    the customer already doesn't like this pricing and plans.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@mhosting_in said:
    why your pricing and method similar to whmcs.

Mate, it's a SaaS product. Bigger customers will pay more money. Also if you can't afford the low pricing for the software that provides billing for you to earn money, then maybe it's easier to just not run a company.

Billingserv will cost $24.78/month for 1000 customers.
    WHMCS being $44.95/month

Have 10k customers? Billingserv is $38.54/month, WHMCS, $299.95/month.

Keep in mind WHMCS is self-hosted, so WHMCS doesn't have additional expenses with having more customers. BillingServ being SaaS, have to also scale their infrastructure, thus increasing cost, to handle more customers (and traffic).

pay per use is only fair in SaaS solutions.

• @Zerpy said:

@mhosting_in said:
    why your pricing and method similar to whmcs.

Mate, it's a SaaS product. Bigger customers will pay more money. Also if you can't afford the low pricing for the software that provides billing for you to earn money, then maybe it's easier to just not run a company.

Billingserv will cost $24.78/month for 1000 customers.
    WHMCS being $44.95/month

Have 10k customers? Billingserv is $38.54/month, WHMCS, $299.95/month.

Keep in mind WHMCS is self-hosted, so WHMCS doesn't have additional expenses with having more customers. BillingServ being SaaS, have to also scale their infrastructure, thus increasing cost, to handle more customers (and traffic).

pay per use is only fair in SaaS solutions.

100% this ^^
    If you have 10k customers and can't afford the $40/m for the billing - its probably best to close shop.

Thanked by 2Jord adly
  • I tried it out and it looks really good! Do you have an area for affiliates / resellers? That is important for us.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

At the same time, if you have 10k customers and can't afford $300/month. It's probably best to close shop.

@NobodyInteresting said: If you have 10k customers and can't afford the $40/m for the billing - its probably best to close shop.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@generalzebrastripe said:
    I tried it out and it looks really good! Do you have an area for affiliates / resellers? That is important for us.

Congrats on your first post