Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7GB OVZ VM or 3GB KVM VM ?? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

7GB OVZ VM or 3GB KVM VM ??

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Sounds like KVM ftw, see you in a month or so with another "what would you prefer" thread.

• Neither. I prefer quality over quantity and I really doubt you'll be able to offer the former at LET pricing.

And what Anthony said.

• +1 KVM

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

OpenVZ please.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

7GB OpenVZ for $7 I don't think so it's possible without heavy overselling.

• @WebProject said:
    7GB OpenVZ for $7 I don't think so it's possible without heavy overselling.

well of course it would be oversold, thought that was obvious

• 3GB KVM with custom ISO/Windows.

• The reason why people want KVM is ability to use "their own" license anyway. Fuck it. Just use OVZ. It's the best.

• @serverian said:
    Just use OVZ.

And QEMU.

• @Serverian, I wnt be able to allow people to use windows because it will swap too much.
    Should i go for openVZ than ?

• @serverian said:
    The reason why people want KVM is ability to use "their own" license anyway.

No way. KVM is the best since I can run BSD and Solaris with it. All the rest is just words.

• @Master_Bo said:
    No way. KVM is the best since I can run BSD and Solaris with it. All the rest is just words.

Of course there are exceptions. Believe me, from my last offer, I have %80 people running Windows on KVM.

• @serverian said:
    Of course there are exceptions. Believe me, from my last offer, I have %80 people running Windows on KVM.

That's normal. At home, I run Windows from KVM only, when it should be used.

• @Master_Bo : Running windows on KVM provides too much swap usage. Therefore the IO increases making things hell of slow for everyone. I want to avoid it. I am trying to provide a very rare high quality offering.

• @darknessends said:
    Master_Bo : Running windows on KVM provides too much swap usage. Therefore the IO increases making things hell of slow for everyone. I want to avoid it. I am trying to provide a very rare high quality offering.

Depends on how VM is actually used. The WIndows VM I mentioned does behave quite well in terms of swapping (doesn't use it most of time).

Just do not allow installing Windows on VPSes.

• IS KVM attractive still when you do not allow Windows ?
    @Serverian : By your comment it feels as if the entire world is looking upto KVM for Windows only ?

• If you're trying to provide a high quality product then do the 7GB OVZ. If you can make a high quality one you'll get business. Just look at Overzold

• @Dragoon0309 : I can run a 7GB promotion, I wanna know it for sure would be a little oversold, the thing is people will prefer it or not ? - Since I see KVM guys are more here. Also I am limited on my disk space.

• Overzold is very popular and almost always sold out. They say they oversell and they manage it well and it doesn't affect performance. If you can do that then you'll get business too. If you oversell too much and dont manage well and end up like 123systems, then you won't do well.

• I can manage definitely, the only problem being Overzold is not sold out, Mao always has some of the good plans up there. @Maounique, it it sold out ?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@darknessends said:
    I can manage definitely, the only problem being Overzold is not sold out, Mao always has some of the good plans up there. Maounique, it it sold out ?

I think that we could have filled a few more nodes, but I wanted to reserve all the servers for iwStack so I had to stop sales as overzold use the same hardware used for iwStack :-)

Also I don't see the reason to sell to the point the service is really bad....

Regarding the question of this thread I suggest you to go with KVM. 3GB/7$ seems too much aggressive however ;-)

• @prometeus : If uncle sal says me KVM - than KVM is final :) I respect him a lot !. However any reason specifically ? And yes its very aggressive I know.

Well you can only manage the overselling well if you have multiple nodes so frankly you might actually be better off with KVM.

• @AnthonySmith: Thanks, As uncle sal said - we ll go with KVM - that is a rare offering as well.

• @darknessends - who are/is we? Which provider are you?

@W1V_Lee said:
    darknessends - who are/is we? Which provider are you?

My money is on hostrail.

• @AnthonySmith I forgot about hostrail.

Yeah I still like to drop the H bomb now and then :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

I think he will do well, it is hard to start, nobody gave uncle a chance either when he launched HA vmware here and it was indeed a flop selling 4 in a month, however, look how things evolved...

I talked a bit to this guy and will probably learn a lot from this offer, nobody is perfect from day one, but I bet he wont be hostrail :)

• +1 for KVM and windows capabilities.