Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is secure dragon still in buisness?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How is secure dragon still in buisness?

skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

How?
Their plans are way too expensive,
They didn't change the copyright year in 2 years on their website.
One of their servers seems to be broken on theirs status page.
How haven't they disappear yet?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 2021

SecureDragon used to be nice: 1-hour ticket response, and transparency on any hardware / network issues.
    However, they aren't secure anymore as they are still selling OpenVZ 6.
    I canceled on 2019-Nov.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited January 2021

@skorupion said:
    How?

Copyrights are cosmetic. A bankrupt company shows 2021 just because of the code isn't hardcoded.

Broken servers is a valid complaint. But there's a difference between broken today and broken a week ago. Do you know when it went down?

Tl;dr I've got far bigger complaints with providers than stale copyright and outdated status pages.

Also, expensive is relative. The labour to move services usually far exceed small annual pricing differences.

Moving a yunohost (mail and nextcloud) from one VPS to another to save $12/year took 7 hours. If I had to pay someone else for 7 hours at my rate, it wouldn't make sense unless the service was garbage and it needed to move.

It's a lot easier to move personal projects Willy nilly, but not for business projects.

Thanked by 3kkrajk niceboy coolice
  • dunno, guy probably lives frugally and owns his own gear. his motivation to grow seems to have stalled.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe

@skorupion said: Their plans are way too expensive,

1GB with 2c, 2TB bandwidth incl ipv6 for $4.99/mo is more resources than what you'd get at Vultr or DO.

• Agree expensive is relative. I know friends who spend 12K/year on server costs which I think even with really reliable LET hosts and dedicated servers would not be more than 3/4K.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

They maybe are in autopilot, but I bet still more reliable than 90% of the hosts advertised here. I was a customer in their heyday and service was super nice and dependable for the price, brings good memories.

Now it is the year 2021 and their IP space is likely worth more than the rest of their business assets, so I would not expect Secure Dragon to last many years in its current form. But you never know.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Nyr said:
    They maybe are in autopilot, but I bet still more reliable than 90% of the hosts advertised here. I was a customer in their heyday and service was super nice and dependable for the price, brings good memories.

Now it is the year 2021 and their IP space is likely worth more than the rest of their business assets, so I would not expect Secure Dragon to last many years in its current form. But you never know.

they only own a /22

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

And imma agree with y'all about expensive is relative

@yoursunny said: SecureDragon used to be nice: 1-hour ticket response, and transparency on any hardware / network issues.

I canceled on 2019-Nov.

I saw that they offer OpenVZ7 now too.

@TimboJones said: Broken servers is a valid complaint. But there's a difference between broken today and broken a week ago. Do you know when it went down?

The server is STILL down

@raindog308 said: 1GB with 2c, 2TB bandwidth incl ipv6 for $4.99/mo is more resources than what you'd get at Vultr or DO.

I have racknerds VPS, that is 3 cores, 3 GB of ram, 8 TB of bandwidth and a dedi ip, for 30 usd a month (no ipv6, but i just use tunnel broker, from which i get /48, And they plan to bring ipv6 to my location, and in another location, which i could choose has ipv6)
    So ye...

@SirFoxy said: his motivation to grow seems to have stalled.

Ye you are right, it probably did, though he might make a comeback in 2021

@SirFoxy said: they only own a /22

Ye so approx. 25k usd, so most likely their ip space is worth more than their buisness.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited January 2021

Are you sure the server is down do you have a VPS on that node

Or you just see on the status that do not show IO RAM that could be the PHP not able to shell exex (php went to disable some function on update)

Or Firewall could blocked some readings between status sever and vps node

SSH and ping are ok but to read the stats need 443/80 connection

http://drgn.biz/servers
    It shows as UP and ssh UP just do not show stats

and the 100 mb test file downloads from Arizona http://162.253.177.4/100MB.test

P.S It maybe not cheap by current standart but server load on most of the nodes is 1 which mean 1 core is used most of the time so that cost the premium to be on a cold server :)

@coolice said:
    http://drgn.biz/servers
    It shows as UP and ssh UP just do not show stats

"External Uptime Monitor" is showing NodePing pricing page. @KuJoe forgot to pay the invoice. This is not a good sign. Deadpool imminent?

• @skorupion said:
    How?

Too expensive???
    The cheapest VMware VPS from scannet.dk costs $32/mo.
    You get 1 vCPU, 1GB RAM, 50GB storage, and Linux.
    It's not a managed VPS. And they have many happy customers.
    :-)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Hey everybody, I'll reply to the replies in this thread later but I'd like to address the OP first. :smile:

@skorupion said:
    How?

Very well. :smiley:

Sorry about that?

Copyright only needs to updated when the data on the page changes, but since you are bothered by that I've hardcoded the year on the page to ease your mind (I never liked this but I guess not having the correct copyright date bothers others so I made the change).

This was fixed, the status agent on the server needed to be re-installed. Good catch! :wink:

As long as the income is higher than expenses we'll be around, and as long as people love us and keep ordering services with us we're happy to continue. :lol:

@yoursunny said:
    SecureDragon used to be nice: 1-hour ticket response, and transparency on any hardware / network issues.
    I canceled on 2019-Nov.

Our OpenVZ refresh project was interrupted by COVID which impacted our ability (and costs) to ship hardware and travel. We're still upgrading to OpenVZ 7 but at a much slower pace. Thankfully the OpenVZ devs have been great and still released kernel updates for OpenVZ 6 after the EOL date. :smile:

@TimboJones said:

Broken servers is a valid complaint. But there's a difference between broken today and broken a week ago. Do you know when it went down?

To be clear no servers were actually offline. Our uptime has still been excellent (aside from the scheduled reboots over the weekend which makes this page look bad: http://status.securedragon.net/)

@SirFoxy said:
    dunno, guy probably lives frugally and owns his own gear. his motivation to grow seems to have stalled.

I wish I lived frugally but we do own our own gear so expenses are really low. I never wanted Secure Dragon to be huge, I like that we continue to grow but I'm extremely thankful we didn't expand rapidly beyond our means like we did when we launched, that was stressful.

@Nyr said:

We are pretty much on auto pilot, but that's because we automate as much as possible and whatever we can't we add to Wyvern to let our clients do it themselves. The bulk of my time is handling sales and generic Linux questions.

@SirFoxy said:

they only own a /22

Incorrect, we have 4 /22s. :smile:

@yoursunny said:
    "External Uptime Monitor" is showing NodePing pricing page. @KuJoe forgot to pay the invoice. This is not a good sign. Deadpool imminent?

Can you provide a screenshot? The NodePing monitor is working fine for me and we have NodePing on auto pay so no missed invoices.

@coolice said:
    Are you sure the server is down do you have a VPS on that node

I've confirmed no nodes are down nor have been excluding a scheduled reboot over the weekend. The status agent needed to be reinstalled on that node for the page to get the stats correctly.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited January 2021

@KuJoe said:

@yoursunny said:

Can you provide a screenshot? The NodePing monitor is working fine for me and we have NodePing on auto pay so no missed invoices.

Seems to be ok now.

It wasn't earlier.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://status.securedragon.net

Thanked by 2KuJoe yoursunny
    edited January 2021

@skorupion said:
    I saw that they offer OpenVZ7 now too.

We should be 100% OpenVZ7 within the next few months.

The server is STILL down

The server was never down. The stats were not loading but you could see that the server status was still a green checkmark. Here's out NodePing status page for confirmation: http://status.securedragon.net/

Ye so approx. 25k usd, so most likely their ip space is worth more than their buisness.

If we were only making $25k USD a year we'd have sold our IPs and jumped ship a while ago.

@thedp said:

@KuJoe said:

@yoursunny said:

Seems to be ok now.

It wasn't earlier.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qCzyPOSMq_0J:status.securedragon.net/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out to see if it happens again. Thankfully NodePing lets me setup an HTTP Content monitor so I can see if it changes. :)

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe said: Thanks, I'll keep an eye out to see if it happens again. Thankfully NodePing lets me setup an HTTP Content monitor so I can see if it changes.

So how about huge comeback in 2021? You seem like you have amazing respect on there, so it would be nice if you came back, looked over your pricing, and once again started being active on LET

@skorupion said:
    So how about huge comeback in 2021? You seem like you have amazing respect on there, so it would be nice if you came back, looked over your pricing, and once again started being active on LET

Can I get my $4.99/year 64MB back, but quadruple the RAM and on OpenVZ7?

• skorousskorous Member
    edited January 2021

No, only double ... ( except it's out of stock )

https://securedragon.net/clients/cart.php?gid=51

EDIT: Oh, that's NAT. Sorry, didn't notice.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Do you know how they are still in business? Because they are secure!

• @sdglhm said:
    Do you know how they are still in business? Because they are secure!

maybe because dragon

Thanked by 2KuJoe yoursunny
  • @budi1413 said:

@sdglhm said:
    Do you know how they are still in business? Because they are secure!

maybe because dragon

Dragon beats secure, any day of the week.

• @budi1413 said: maybe because dragon

They are secure because they are dragons. I'm no knight so I'm not going to mess with a dragon.

@t0ny0 said: Dragon beats secure, any day of the week.

^

• @KuJoe is a well respected member and business owner in web hosting scene. I guess I have seen him around WHT, FWHT and LET like boards since 2009. Definitely not a summer host or a temporary cash cow seeker. That is why he and his business are still around.

Thanked by 1KuJoe