Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Parler.com Back Online - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Parler.com Back Online

Comments

• @trycatchthis said:
    Was everyone banned from Twitter, Facebook a racist / reactionary / pedophile? I don't think its fair to paint every one with such a broad brush.

Everyone of them? of course not. The ones that end up on Parler/Gab/etc? Wayyy more likely

@randomq said:
    @trycatchthis it's true, I don't like the politics of gullible or insane people either. I do think there are probably more effective ways to deal with the criminal conduct than to confirm their paranoia by taking down the platform though.

Deplayforming as a tool to fight extremism is actually insanely effective. There was a lot of studies done on this with ISIS, it effectively cuts extremists off for their most effective recruiting tool

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/deplatforming-parler-bans-qanon

I'll have to find the source, but after that recent QAnon purge, the amount of election misinformation floating through social media dropped like 70% overnight. Hell, even Trump being de-twittered has taken a lot of steam out of his most fervent cultists

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2021

@texteditor said:

@trycatchthis said:
    Was everyone banned from Twitter, Facebook a racist / reactionary / pedophile? I don't think its fair to paint every one with such a broad brush.

Everyone of them? of course not. The ones that end up on Parler/Gab/etc? Wayyy more likely

@randomq said:
    @trycatchthis it's true, I don't like the politics of gullible or insane people either. I do think there are probably more effective ways to deal with the criminal conduct than to confirm their paranoia by taking down the platform though.

Deplayforming as a tool to fight extremism is actually insanely effective. There was a lot of studies done on this with ISIS, it effectively cuts extremists off for their most effective recruiting tool

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/deplatforming-parler-bans-qanon

I'll have to find the source, but after that recent QAnon purge, the amount of election misinformation floating through social media dropped like 70% overnight. Hell, even Trump being de-twittered has taken a lot of steam out of his most fervent cultists

But its wrong and counterproductive to forcefully suppress a specific group and their discussions to promote your own ideals. It never worked well in history. Eventually when you do this and the dissatisfaction goes beyond tipping point with people having nowhere to vent out and share their thoughts with similar minded people, they will become openly dissents, anti-govermental, separists and make them even more violent.

When you suppress 50% of your country (76 million voters), you better do that damn well down to the every little platform and forum thread or it will explode into your eyes.

When suppressed, if they get even little space to express their ideas, the first thing someone comes up with would be "How can I harm those that made us like this". and if he gets approval to that idea from another similar minded person, everyone is fucked then.

We all know how IRA loved those in power and how law abiding and peaceful they were before there was any mutual discussion.

Thanked by 2raindog308 that_guy
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@texteditor said: Deplayforming as a tool to fight extremism

And there's the fault in your argument. Not everyone on Parler was an "extremist". 99.9% or more weren't - certainly no in my circle there. 100% of the people I saw on Parler were those who were tired of FB. But many view everyone they disagree with as an "extremist". You're painting with a brush broad enough to paint a mountain.

This is just raw partisan smashmouth politics - suppress and eliminate those you disagree with, deny them access to speak, etc. Been going on since before the pyramids were built.

There's absolutely no justification to "deplatform" Parler and not, say, Twitter or DailyKos or any leftist media. But it's not about holding to some ironclad rule of law - it's about politics.

• Deplayforming as a tool to fight extremism is actually insanely effective.

Who gets to define what is extreme?

edited January 2021

@trycatchthis said:

Deplayforming as a tool to fight extremism is actually insanely effective.

Who gets to define what is extreme?

Those in power even if its just the 51%.

edited January 2021

@texteditor said:

It never disappeared.. Its just smoldering in places where we can't see, and eventually burns the entire place down if not taken care of with proper means. This is just hiding the consequences and escalating the source of it by throwing more gas to the fire.

ISIS is different as its a foreign threat, but these are everyday americans everywhere. The "enemy" of yours is already in every institution and small business, and they actually went and shit on their lifeblood while this "enemy" is silently watching.

It could be ur co-worker, boss, or employee.. You never know what they might do now lol

I would had never done this myself in an already divided country. Best way would had been allowing it as a discussion place and have biden normalize everything slowly.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @raindog308 said:
    And there's the fault in your argument. Not everyone on Parler was an "extremist". 99.9% or more weren't - certainly no in my circle there. 100% of the people I saw on Parler were those who were tired of FB.

Again why do the smears work. Its like a couple of higher up people send out emails saying, were going to tell people that Parler is White Nationalist / Isis / Pedo heaven. It circulates and a ton of people believe it without even looking into it.

Don't people research?

• @trycatchthis said:

@raindog308 said:
    And there's the fault in your argument. Not everyone on Parler was an "extremist". 99.9% or more weren't - certainly no in my circle there. 100% of the people I saw on Parler were those who were tired of FB.

Again why do the smears work. Its like a couple of higher up people send out emails saying, were going to tell people that Parler is White Nationalist / Isis / Pedo heaven. It circulates and a ton of people believe it without even looking into it.

Don't people research?

People's love for hate is infinite. ;)

• Big tech needs to ask themselves if they are the bad guys if Russia is more welcoming of platforms like Parler.

And to the people asking for them to host on Tor. You do know the media will demand Tor be made illegal and for all relay operators to be arrested?

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @MatthewM said:
    Big tech needs to ask themselves if they are the bad guys if Russia is more welcoming of platforms like Parler.

And to the people asking for them to host on Tor. You do know the media will demand Tor be made illegal and for all relay operators to be arrested?

The Russian government supports destruction and violence against other countries, as long it's not affecting themselves.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

It's almost painful how mis- oder even dis- informed many are and how stuck in one or the other corner. Maybe I can help. I'm neither pro- nor anti-Trump, in fact I'm not even from that continent. But checking, counter-checking, and verifying is a major part of my job ...

Example: Q: Who gets to decide what is right and what is wrong? A: The majority.

Sorry, wrong, dead wrong.

• identifying large groups as well as how to "catch" and bind them is a very major part of what politics really is about.
    • humans can indeed be - and are! - considered - and treated - as herds. Because they are (when in large numbers/groups) and do behave like herds. Solid example: modern safety exit design in e.g. football arenas are modeled and based on herd (and panic) behavior.
    • your opinion is next to worthless. politics may (intentionally) seem to address and care about each and every individual, but it does not, in fact, it even couldn't even if they wanted to. politics thinks and works and can't but work in terms of herds, obvious ones like "white" and "black" and less obvious ones but at the end of the day herd size is what counts.
    • Your opinion also more often than not actually is not your opinion but something defined and formed by many factors - and worse, it can be influenced and even manipulated quite easily. Some major factors are region, kin, school and most importantly media.
      Quick hint: In a controlled experiment a proband, along with 4 others that were part of the experiment and who chose as told, the proband was shown images of a couple of lines of different lengths and asked to pick e.g. the shortest one.
      And so he did - until the majority (of controlled other "probands") picked one that obviously was not the shortest one. And guess... proband followed suite, almost each and every time. THAT is how massive and decisive "peer pressure" is! It does even make people prefer the group "opinion" over the reality they can observe with their own eyes.

And almost all of you are guilty too. Why? Because you tolerated it when "the others" were hampered or even forbidden to openly and freely speak their mind.
    That's in fact a politician's device that is well known and understood since far more than 1000 years. It works like this:
    First, hamper some right of some minority. Most within the majority group won't mind, be it because it suits them or be it because they are ignorant.
    Later, hamper some (important to you) right of the majority or even of all and if they complain suppress them and enforce your rule ... mentioning that they themselves agreed to such measures against others. If needed mention "national security" or a dangerous threat from outside ... and they WILL swallow the pill.

So, already learn the lessons: Unless everyone is free to speak their mind, nobody really is. A "right" that you can't defend is no right but a fairy tale. And finally and maybe most importantly: We are all but herds, "political capital" for the politicians, no matter which color.

That said, I myself wouldn't join Parler, but not for reasons of political color, no, I wouldn't join them because their whole operation was ridiculously poorly designed and operated.

Thanked by 2that_guy bulbasaur
  • @jsg said:
    That's in fact a politician's device that is well known and understood since far more than 1000 years. It works like this:
    So, already learn the lessons: Unless everyone is free to speak their mind, nobody really is.

What is the name of this device?

That said, I myself wouldn't join Parler, but not for reasons of political color, no, I wouldn't join them because their whole operation was ridiculously poorly designed and operated.

As an observer I would say they did fairly good to get it up and running and to obtain a user base. As time goes on any security and technical issues would be improved.

edited January 2021

@trycatchthis said:

As an observer I would say they did fairly good to get it up and running and to obtain a user base. As time goes on any security and technical issues would be improved.

Throwing tons of $$ at Amazon != good design/engineering.
    "As time goes by ..." AFAIK about 70 TB of data were already leaked or hacked. So you mean that the next 70 TB will be safe?

edited January 2021

You talk about freedom of speech but what about Aleksei Navalnyi? In the wonderland Russia the situation is even worse. They only allow Parler cause it creates discord in the west. As always their only target is to have destructive activity around the world rather than developement so they can stand proud above others even without ever evolving as a nation.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @MatthewM said:
    Big tech needs to ask themselves if they are the bad guys if Russia is more welcoming of platforms like Parler.

Tor will not be illegal. It is a project sponsored by the US Department of State. Instead, because of its low accessibility, it is useless in this case.

• "But can it run Parler?" will be the new "but can it run Crysis?" meme for webhosts mhmm?

@stefeman said:
    You talk about freedom of speech but what about Aleksei Navalnyi? In the wonderland Russia the situation is even worse. They only allow Parler cause it creates discord in the west. As always their only target is to have destructive activity around the world rather than developement so they can stand proud above others even without ever evolving as a nation.

Russia != Navalny and Russia != Putin.

To say that Russia supports Parler to create discord in "the west" (btw. "the west" is far larger than just the USA) is about as smart as saying "the USA supports [any russian company] to create discord in Russia".

FACT: Some russian company is selling services to some american company called Parler. And they didn't need any approval of Putin to do that.

Plus: Well, if the west (your words) boycotts you, you need to find services elsewhere. It wasn't Putin who made Parler go there; it was "the west" who pushed Parler.

As for Navalny, I suggest you bring that up again once Assange isn't kept in a hellhole of prison anymore. Navalny is treated far, far better. Funny btw that you bring that up in the context of an american company having been suppressed and slaughtered in America for daring to offer a medium for free speech to Americans, who are suppressed by all the oh so wonderfully 'democratic' corporations and media (e.g. "deplorables") in the oh so free western world ...
    If I had to choose I'd get the Navalny treatment over that of Assange, Snowden, and millions of ordinary Americans any day.

One shouldn't be guided by ones dislike or even hatred of some country.

Thanked by 1that_guy
    edited January 2021

I would also be treated like royalty in Russia if I exposed something disasterous in USA for the USA govermental body. Russia can show middle finger to the west by protecting and pampering me after I caused problems to their enemy.

Assange caused his own problems by escaping from west to west. He did not manage to flee into russia where he would be protected and treated well due to the havoc he managed to cause be exposing everything. (Which is a good thing that he exposed the mass spying by the way).

Similary if someone in Russia does something which causes the nation go against him, the USA and some EU countries are more than happy to offer protection just to say "fuck you" to Russia.

My point was that Navalny wont get Assange treatment or Snowden treatment in his home country similary how Snowden and Assange would be treated badly in USA and some EU countries. You claim Navalny treated well and would like same treatment over Assange?

GRU members stalk his flights and fly after him in order to bury him 6 feet under whenever theres a chance. He gets poisoned by his own goverment.. And when hes in coma, the doctors also try to bury him by not providing adequate treatments or denying his extraction to better hospitals and other countries for treatment. Then he survives that shit by miracle and even manages to recover almost fully. He flies back to his country and is arrested instantly lol. I bet they try to throw him into jail for some stupid made up charges and when the media eventually loses interest, he sadly dies in that prison for some "random complications" and putin offers his condolences. Its a bandit country and the citzens there already have third generation stockholm syndrome.

At least USA wont assasinate their own dissents.

Best regards, A person with Russian surname and some history living in Finland. Fuck putin. Im writing his name small cause hes a small man.

• @jsg said:
    Throwing tons of $$ at Amazon != good design/engineering.
    "As time goes by ..." AFAIK about 70 TB of data were already leaked or hacked. So you mean that the next 70 TB will be safe?

All the big tech companies were hacked before at some point as well. Were comparing 10+ year old companies to a startup. For their reliance on AWS how were they to know in advance they were going to be used as a political scape goat to take focus away from other social networks.

Microsoft never had the kind of power AWS has when they were considered a monopoly.
    It should be seem as scary how many companies actually depend on AWS and firms should wonder at this point if rolling out their own infrastructure might be a good idea. Or at least trying to manage some International standards for interoperability between cloud services so that if one provider pulls the plug you can setup on another vendor without a major rewrite.

As for the App store I wonder if this might cause some regulators to think Apple to should allow non Apple sanctioned apps to be loaded onto the device as is possible with Android.

The broader implication of this is that any business that depends on SaaS / IaaS could be shut down by coordinated Denial of Serivce.

@stefeman said:
    [yada, yada, yada hatred against Russia]

Can you provide credible and verifiable evidence for anything of your Russia-hating sermon?

And NO, the yada, yada in the media you seem to consume, is NOT credible and verifiable evidence.

FACT is that neither you nor the media have credible and verifiable evidence. Hardly anyone (incl. myself) has any inside information out of Putins office.
    FACT is that Assange is held in a hellhole prison while Navalny is held in a separate section of a prison so as to protect him from other prisoners. For a mere 30 days.
    FACT is also btw. that the allegations against Assange were politically motivated an construed in the first place.

Am I fighting for Putin? No, I don't care much about him. I'm fighting against baselessly smearing the russian nation (and against sheer idiocy ).

Thanked by 1that_guy

@trycatchthis said:
    All the big tech companies were hacked before at some point as well. Were comparing 10+ year old companies to a startup. For their reliance on AWS how were they to know in advance they were going to be used as a political scape goat to take focus away from other social networks.

Microsoft never had the kind of power AWS has when they were considered a monopoly.
    It should be seem as scary how many companies actually depend on AWS and firms should wonder at this point if rolling out their own infrastructure might be a good idea. Or at least trying to manage some International standards for interoperability between cloud services so that if one provider pulls the plug you can setup on another vendor without a major rewrite.

As for the App store I wonder if this might cause some regulators to think Apple to should allow non Apple sanctioned apps to be loaded onto the device as is possible with Android.

The broader implication of this is that any business that depends on SaaS / IaaS could be shut down by coordinated Denial of Serivce.

That may all be true or not, but fact is that Parler could be killed easily and fact is also that about 70 TB of Parler data are out there in the wild.

Kindly note that Parler had the expressed goal of providing a platform for free speech and Parler could - and should - have known that they'd have to sail in difficult seas. So, no, one can not apply the same ruler to e.g. Azure and Parler just as one can't apply the same ruler to a commercial ship and to a war ship; the latter is meant to survive under harsh conditions.

Seeing that one can't but realize and acknowledge that betting everything on a single provider was stupid, incompetent, and highly risky.

• @jsg said:
    Seeing that one can't but realize and acknowledge that betting everything on a single provider was stupid, incompetent, and highly risky.

This is reasonable.

What about the App store? Any chance of a push to get non Apple vetted apps, like with Android? Not saying that apple can't have their premium sandbox but maybe allow the option for non apple app stores and software. Microsoft has a windows store but you can load any app you want on it.

• @trycatchthis said:

@jsg said:

This is reasonable.

What about the App store? Any chance of a push to get non Apple vetted apps, like with Android? Not saying that apple can't have their premium sandbox but maybe allow the option for non apple app stores and software. Microsoft has a windows store but you can load any app you want on it.

Apple has TestFlight app store, but im not sure if there is process to become approved. Otherwise the users need to use browser to use Parler.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@stefeman said: but im not sure if there is process to become approved

They added an approval process this last June.

• @jsg said:

@stefeman said:

Can you provide credible and verifiable evidence for anything of your Russia-hating sermon?

Impossible.. You read your news and info from Sputnik, RT and Pravda while I use Reuters, CNN and Bellingcat

Anything we say to each others is doomed to fail. Lets focus on Parler now instead.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Hey -- is anyone concerned about the fact that Parler's data will be hosted abroad (e.g. DDoS-Guard is Russian)?

Isn't this a national security threat given that Russia is literally the #1 foe (or #2 after China) of the US?

• @lentro said:

@stefeman said: but im not sure if there is process to become approved

They added an approval process this last June.

Ah, It seems that they are out of luck with apple then lol.

edited January 2021

@lentro said:
    Hey -- is anyone concerned about the fact that Parler's data will be hosted abroad (e.g. DDoS-Guard is Russian)?

Isn't this a national security threat given that Russia is literally the #1 foe (or #2 after China) of the US?

Nah. Its a private company and while it could spy like any other company, there isn't likely any top secret info being shared. We already use Chinese phones and TikTok to view and share out private data/media. I even gave my passport to AliPay in order to use their Tourist Pass mode to scan QR codes for payments.

I also use Norton, F-Secure, Bitdefender, or Kaspersky in rotation depending which one is cheapest at black friday for 10 devices.

@trycatchthis said:

Me not know nor care (about Apple stuff) and anyway that's another scope. One remark though: All those app stores probably have made it easier (as in idiot-proof)to get software but, oh well, there is a price to pay.

@stefeman said:

@jsg said:

@stefeman said:

Impossible.. You read your news and info from Sputnik, RT and Pravda while I use Reuters, CNN and Bellingcat

Anything we say to each others is doomed to fail. Lets focus on Parler now instead.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see you that reasonable but let me correct you: I'm not getting my news from RT or Sputnik or Pravda, in part because I'm not that interested in news from Russia anyway. As for you, Reuters, hmm, CNN utterly untrustworthy, and Bellingcat, frankly, a joke and a bad one. But granted, it's really not easy to get real (objective, neutral, factual) information nowadays.

Otherwise, agreed, let's shift our focus back at Parler.

@lentro said:

Hey -- is anyone concerned about the fact that Parler's data were hosted abroad (e.g. AWS is us-american)?

Isn't this a national security threat given that the USA supposedly wants to be literally the #1 foe of Russia, China, and quite a few others?

Risking to shock you: the USA is just a tiny part of the world, both in terms of people and territory. And not a particularly neutral or fair one at that.

And, as @stefeman so aptly hinted, it is highly unlikely that government officials communicate via Parler. And btw, Parler data was hacked/leaked while being a US company and hosted there too.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2021

@Francisco I thought the news were going to say Parler now hosted on Frantech. LOL