Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have 10k $ bucket, do you think if I will step into host industry - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I have 10k $ bucket, do you think if I will step into host industry

Comments

• @jpeng said:
    Hmm, who just took the domain name HostSparkle.com? so my biz dies...

maybe thats the first lesson?

• @jpeng said:

Maybe they will sell it for $10,000. Looks like there is a market for it now.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@jpeng said:

Whoever regd that probably did it for the lulz.

But yeah, now don't go asking everyone for suggestions for a new name - not in public at least :D

• @jpeng said:

Welcome to LET.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You'll make more investing in Bitcoin than into hosting these days. The risk is about the same, but the memes are far fresher on the crypto side.

Francisco

• Has $10K

doesn't register domain

• Ohhhhh xD

• @jpeng said:

No worries. Check out @thedp

He has many good domains for hosting business. :)

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • @jpeng said:

Once you finalized your domain name, you should had to register it first of all.

• @pakhost said:

@jpeng said:

Once you finalized your domain name, you should had to register it first of all.

yeah.. I made this post at home, having no PC by hand. when I come to office this day and tried to register the domain, it was taken.

• @jpeng said:
    tried to register the domain, it was taken.

Register a different domain name secretly and then announce it.

• try bubble.host

Thanked by 1kalipus
  • Many registrars have cheaper prices for the first year, if you were serious you would use that to "reserve" the domain before announcing you plan to use it. If you can't afford that or are not sure enough, don't mention it publicly.
    Things like domains and usernames will always be squatted as fast as possible. A friend of mine once wanted to register a Github organisation with a specific name but made the mistake of mentioning it in public. Mere minutes later, taken. Lessons were learnt that day, lets hope this is a lesson to you.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • notarobonotarobo Member
    edited January 2021

hostaculous.***

register fast

best SEO

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@notarobo said:
    hostaculous.***

register fast

best SEO

For vanity, hostaculo.us :joy:

Thanked by 1notarobo
  • quick get one

hostaculous.net already be Uganda host provider

• I am selling my domain hostsparkle.com super cheap. Bidding starts at $5000.

That still leaves enough money to buy a couple Easter special dedis and start your summer host by summer!

• Capture

Surprisingly, Summer Host has been in business since 2002 :)

Thanked by 2jpeng AlwaysSkint
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Erisa said:
    Things like domains and usernames will always be squatted as fast as possible.

I mentioned the domain below several times, and nobody has registered it yet.

@yoursunny said:
    coloncrossing.com is better.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @yoursunny said:

@Erisa said:

Today I changed idea. I have no interest on hosting anymore. but plan to provide cloud storage.
    I have got the domain Tera Folder dot com (already registered by me this time).
    And plan to use HostHatch, buyvm, hostsolutions 's storage VPS as backend storage.
    Then I develop an app in front, providing both free and premium plan.
    for example, free user will get 2GB storage, paid user will start from 100GB.
    And I will provide lifetime plan as well.

How do you think my new biz? Thanks.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jpeng said:
    Today I changed idea. I have no interest on hosting anymore. but plan to provide cloud storage.
    for example, free user will get 2GB storage, paid user will start from 100GB.

@bacloud has free Nextcloud 10GB. You need to up your game.

If you have app for Windows Phone 8.1, I'll reconsider.

• @yoursunny said:

@Erisa said:

I mentioned the domain below several times, and nobody has registered it yet.

@yoursunny said:
    coloncrossing.com is better.

I suppose it depends on the way its said and which domain then, I personally find that domain quite funny (Especially since my brain keeps missing the n by accident) but I guess not everyone agrees, which is unfortunate.
    You have me tempted to buy it for the meme but I will resist this time.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@jpeng said:
    yeah.. I made this post at home, having no PC by hand. when I come to office this day and tried to register the domain, it was taken.

Someone might just saved you from making a mistake. It can be a sign, because I have no idea who and why would register such domain name.

• @jpeng

Congrats for the hand-registered domain!

Just a few concerns:

• I think there are many established providers that are on the first two pages on Google search engine. Any idea how to persuade general users to give you a chance, instead of going through those known names?

• The 3 providers that you mentioned are great, reliable and well received in the market. However, they'd still need to make their cut (from a B2C perspective) and therefore you can't really bring down the cost. Since you live in HK, I guess this is easier to explain : now you are small and wanna join the cut-throat F&B market by starting a fast food restaurant. Instead of having your own kitchen, you buy plenty of ready-to-eat hamburgers, fries and milkshake from other 茶餐廳. Your price cannot be competitive.

• In earlier discussion, you mentioned that you could not register HostSparkle.com because you were only with your mobile phone. With due respect, registering a domain through big registrars websites are indeed a piece of cake. If you could not do that, you gonna freak out if you receive tickets at odd hours or not with your computer.

• To cater to the general market, you would need a very user-friendly platform like Dropbox or ICloud.

Well, I might be wrong as the above is bullshit from someone who can only run apt upgrade. If you are determined and confident, just go for it and do your best. :smile:

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • This is a weird thread.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OP lives in HK. I assume this is all a deep cover Chinese CP plot to get their hand on my precious data.

• @swat4 said:
    @jpeng

Congrats for the hand-registered domain!

Just a few concerns:

• I think there are many established providers that are on the first two pages on Google search engine. Any idea how to persuade general users to give you a chance, instead of going through those known names?

• The 3 providers that you mentioned are great, reliable and well received in the market. However, they'd still need to make their cut (from a B2C perspective) and therefore you can't really bring down the cost. Since you live in HK, I guess this is easier to explain : now you are small and wanna join the cut-throat F&B market by starting a fast food restaurant. Instead of having your own kitchen, you buy plenty of ready-to-eat hamburgers, fries and milkshake from other 茶餐廳. Your price cannot be competitive.

• In earlier discussion, you mentioned that you could not register HostSparkle.com because you were only with your mobile phone. With due respect, registering a domain through big registrars websites are indeed a piece of cake. If you could not do that, you gonna freak out if you receive tickets at odd hours or not with your computer.

• To cater to the general market, you would need a very user-friendly platform like Dropbox or ICloud.

Well, I might be wrong as the above is bullshit from someone who can only run apt upgrade. If you are determined and confident, just go for it and do your best. :smile:

aha, thanks @swat4 for your so detailed answers. I may or may not take the real action on development such an online service, but just want to give a try. I didn't expect to earn money from the biz action, but this online practices can increase my experience. (btw, I didn't lack money at all).

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@jpeng said:

but this online practices can increase my experience. (btw, I didn't lack money at all).

To gain experience, start with a reseller account or work for some hosting company else no matter how much money you have you won't run a successful hosting business at least not with 10K, you will need lot more $$ and even knowledge and experience are required.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Francisco said:
    You'll make more investing in Bitcoin than into hosting these days. The risk is about the same, but the memes are far fresher on the crypto side.

Francisco

Should've listened :P

Francisco