Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letbox terminated client's server by mistake and lose all data - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Letbox terminated client's server by mistake and lose all data

Comments

• It's really bad for you. But it may be a single mistake, which is not a systematic bug. This happened to me one time, at Vultr - a top world provider. Then, they credited me $50 for it.

After that incident, I always keep backups.

• Darn... The support techs are terrible... Arent they required to speak atleast simple unbroken English?

• @gwnd1989 said:
    Darn... The support techs are terrible... Arent they required to speak atleast simple unbroken English?

No. They required to reply with answered question and/or resolved problem resolution. 0 f given if english is broken. Look at cociu.

• @snt said:
    this guy will promote his website in every possible thread he comment in

İ hate this type of answers. Yes you should always do backups. But still it doesn't justify what provider did.

"Provider is not guilty. You should have do backups"

• @key900 has my support here, but I definitely understand how that would be very shitty for the customer/OP.

I noticed a refound was offered by letbox which imo is a very fair gesture of goodwill on an unmanaged service without an enterprise SLA or any liability for data.

I noticed key900 also mentioned that moving forward more care will be taken, so it seems like the issue was acknowledged, a solution found (to be more careful) and a gesture of goodwill offered in the form of a refund.

Agreed 100% it's a shitty situation and in this case both parties got screwed in the process.

• @LTniger said:

@gwnd1989 said:
    Darn... The support techs are terrible... Arent they required to speak atleast simple unbroken English?

No. They required to reply with answered question and/or resolved problem resolution. 0 f given if english is broken. Look at cociu.

Well but not every customer thinks the same way... Broken Communication = Broken Sevices to some.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Modulesgarden? Translates to problems and crap. Seen more than enough.

Letbox is the hoster and hence responsible. Responsible for the software they use. Responsible for their hosting. And responsible for whom they let in to work on their stuff.
    The fact that the Letbox guy didn't respond yet although tagged doesn't help either.

OTOH @OP came away with relatively little and hopefully repairable damage. One well known provider here (HostSolutions) almost was destroyed by Modulesgarden crap.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2021

Hello,

Let's me apology for what happened and my delay to respond here, i have been in vacation i don't following up. we have been served a lot of clients for many years and we shouldn't do such issue like that.
    let me example what is happened, i'm not defend or blame since we who responsible for this data. what i collected.

1 - There was 2 issue in one ticket submitted to modulesgarden regarding IPS management.
    2 - 2 x account provided one test account and the OP account since it effected with this bug as example.
    3 - By mistake the agent of modulegarden confused the terminated the OP instead of the testing account.
    4 - ModuleGarden not notification us regards the account until the OP open with us a ticket.
    5- YES THEY did that mistake as we are and I apology for that, We will do our best to solve This issue, continue the good cooperation.
    6- WE directly have conversation with the modulegarden manager to make a detailed internal audit on this matter and make sure that this will never happen again.
    7- While i checked the OP account i can see that the last payment where made from the free credit we gives to all our client in BlackFriday so i want to be flexible as possible and Yes we made this mistake and would ask how the client need as compensation .

Thanks

• @key900 isn't that you should have a waiting period mechanism or putting the actual status of the trigger to "on hold" or something for some given time like 1 or 2 days before it actually deletes the data?

Thanked by 1Trav
  • @key900 said:
    7- While i checked the OP account i can see that the last payment where made from the free credit we gives to all our client in BlackFriday

Umm, wtf? First I'm hearing of this. Just checked, looks like $15 USD credit on my account!?! How did you communicate this to your customers? I don't recall getting an email.

Wow, thanks.

• I remember someone posted something about OVH kicked the guy out so he lost all his 10 years of data. Again, not to say whose fault was that or this incident, backup should be your basic principle of production.

Good luck.

edited January 2021

@TimboJones said:

@key900 said:
    7- While i checked the OP account i can see that the last payment where made from the free credit we gives to all our client in BlackFriday

Umm, wtf? First I'm hearing of this. Just checked, looks like $15 USD credit on my account!?! How did you communicate this to your customers? I don't recall getting an email.

Wow, thanks.

If you don't received our mail regarding the free credit in BF then i had to blame mxrouting for their Mail services.

regards

• @TimboJones said:

@key900 said:

Wow, thanks.

I received $5....opened ticket about an invoice suddenly marked paid without any payment from me...and they reply that it was a gift from them in form of credit....perhaps you didnt monitor your invoice that often.....

• This is my last payment, all paid from free credit?
    Gave me one more month as your staff said, I do not accept this condition cause it has nothing to do with free credit or my real payment.

@key900 said: 7- While i checked the OP account i can see that the last payment where made from the free credit we gives to all our client in BlackFriday so i want to be flexible as possible and Yes we made this mistake and would ask how the client need as compensation .

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@key900 said: let me example what is happened,

If this had been @VirMach the explanation would have been at least 20,000 words.

• @Shamli said:

@TimboJones said:

@key900 said:

Wow, thanks.

I received $5....opened ticket about an invoice suddenly marked paid without any payment from me...and they reply that it was a gift from them in form of credit....perhaps you didnt monitor your invoice that often.....

What? I receive emailed invoices just fine. I just didn't have any between now and black Friday. The fact that I have all $15 credit should have been a clue to you. I'm just saying, didn't get email, didn't see it mentioned on LET and not on their Discourse.

They totally missed marketing and good will from their credit.

Thanked by 2letbox skorous
  • @lightforce said:
    This is my last payment, all paid from free credit?
    Gave me one more month as your staff said, I do not accept this condition cause it has nothing to do with free credit or my real payment.

@key900 said: 7- While i checked the OP account i can see that the last payment where made from the free credit we gives to all our client in BlackFriday so i want to be flexible as possible and Yes we made this mistake and would ask how the client need as compensation .

Wth? What condition?

Jesus Christ, what part are you having difficulty with? You only had $1.70 credit left, so you paid $1.60 remainder. This isn't not complex at all and I worry for when you actually get a confusing bill.

The rest of the credit likely paid for other services in December.

Thanked by 2letbox AlwaysSkint
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2021

@key900 said:
    If you don't received our mail regarding the free credit in BF then i had to blame mxrouting for their Mail services.

regards

Always happy to follow up on this. I only see 2 emails since Black Friday from the domain that made it to the end of our stack, meaning they were either continually deferred, rejected for a reason that is suspected to be related to IP (forcing them to retry from other IPs and go through the stack until the end if necessary), or their mail servers were down at the time. Those two were delivered once they reached the end of the stack (spamwall).

Almost every single time someone says they didn't receive an email, it's either that they use Hotmail and it was accepted and blackholed (so none of us can see anything other than it being delivered successfully), or pebkac. If I bet $100 on every report I'd have a pool of money and I'd invite you over for beer and a rather dry swim party.

On another note:

Letbox is actually one of the few customers I've proactively whitelisted on the infrastructure without request, because @key900 handles his shit like a boss.

Thanked by 1letbox
    edited January 2021

@jar said:

@key900 said:

regards

Always happy to follow up on this. I only see 2 emails since Black Friday from the domain that made it to the end of our stack, meaning they were either continually deferred, rejected for a reason that is suspected to be related to IP (forcing them to retry from other IPs and go through the stack until the end if necessary), or their mail servers were down at the time. Those two were delivered once they reached the end of the stack (spamwall).

Almost every single time someone says they didn't receive an email, it's either that they use Hotmail and it was accepted and blackholed (so none of us can see anything other than it being delivered successfully), or pebkac. If I bet $100 on every report I'd have a pool of money and I'd invite you over for beer and a rather dry swim party.

On another note:

Letbox is actually one of the few customers I've proactively whitelisted on the infrastructure without request, because @key900 handles his shit like a boss.

This kind of true i saw got whitelisted for while ago and your services really amazing I really appreciate i was just kidding .

@TimboJones said:

@lightforce said:
    This is my last payment, all paid from free credit?

Wth? What condition?

Jesus Christ, what part are you having difficulty with? You only had $1.70 credit left, so you paid $1.60 remainder. This isn't not complex at all and I worry for when you actually get a confusing bill.

The rest of the credit likely paid for other services in December.

Ya $15 yearly services and $5 for monthly. We announced it in Discord and almost everywhere! I have to mention next BF we will do it again.

@TimboJones said:

@lightforce said:

The credit where spend on other invoice please check all the invoices. And again I’m flexible to fixing this problem with you whatever you feel compensation just PM. If you need time to think about it we shall waiting for you.

I also noted that you have different services with us since 2015 and I appreciate those years with us. I waiting your PM or i shall do?

Best regards

Thanked by 2jar TimboJones

@raindog308 said:

@key900 said: let me example what is happened,

If this had been @VirMach the explanation would have been at least 20,000 words.

I have to go to straight of the matter and admit the mistakes. Talking a lot does not solve any problems. This is why I would like us to cooperate in solving problems without wasting any time. Mistakes are part of our human nature But this not forgivable we had to learned from what happened and make sure never happened again.

Best regards

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

"LetBox" sounds familiar. I searched my inbox and found that I was one of their first customers.
    Original offer post: https://lowendbox.com/blog/letbox-6quarter-256mb-openvz-vps-in-dallas/

Invoice #60
    Amount Due: $5.74 USD
    Due Date: 05/11/2012

Invoice Items

256MB - vps6 (05/11/2012 - 31/01/2013)
    Operating System: Other (OS Available on VPS Panel)
    Extra IPv4: 0 x 1 IPv4 $6.00 USD
    Extra Bandwidth: 0 x 1TB Bandwidth $7.50 USD
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub Total: $5.74 USD
    Credit: $0.00 USD
    Total: $5.74 USD
    ------------------------------------------------------

However, I canceled service after a few hours because there was no Ubuntu 12.04 - it requires OpenVZ 6 but the host node was on OpenVZ 5.

• @TimboJones said: They totally missed marketing and good will from their credit.

I'm also very glad this came up. I wondered where that account credit came from. Was waiting to see if it cleared itself up.

• Much has already been said by @key900 on the matter of accidental VPS removal, but we would like to add our voice just so you have a complete picture. There were two different issues discussed in a single ticket with two different service URLs involved, which were confused in the middle of examination by mistake. As soon as it became apparent, OP was granted a full refund of the related payment, and a year of free service as an additional compensatory measure. We remain on good terms with OP, and continue assisting him comprehensively with any persisting issues under stricter safety standards.

• AmplificatorAmplificator Member
    edited January 2021

@key900 My question is: Do you keep backups at all? Or do you rely on RAID to save your ass in case of hardware failure only?

I wonder how many other hosts also have nothing backed up now.. seems unprofessional at best.

• @Amplificator said: seems unprofessional at best.

Disagree. You just don't use provider for anything remotely production. For testing and casual YABS, nothing more.

• @LTniger said:
    For testing and casual YABS, nothing more.

So.. unprofessional? :)

Thanked by 1Levi
  • Can somebody clarify what "unmanaged" means? I think I'm misunderstanding it because I thought it meant you have to take your own backups, apply your own updates, etc....

Thanked by 3chip jar RIYAD
  • @Amplificator said:
    @key900 My question is: Do you keep backups at all? Or do you rely on RAID to save your ass in case of hardware failure only?

I wonder how many other hosts also have nothing backed up now.. seems unprofessional at best.

AWS also does not have one. There were already multiple events this shit happens in AWS and they just tell you that its their mistake and they were sorry. Just like that.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2021

@Amplificator said:

If you expect your containers to be backed up regularly and available in case of an emergency, you've made a poor choice in coming to LET. But you're not exactly new around here, this isn't something you don't know. This entire community was founded around the idea of "less is more" and "Linux admins don't need bells and whistles or the associated price tags."

It's not unprofessional to have a market segment that openly leaves many tasks to the customer. It's unprofessional to enter that market segment as a customer and pretend to be surprised by it later. None should be more expected to stick to this community's values than the host literally named after it.