Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DirectAdmin Pro Pack
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DirectAdmin Pro Pack

JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
edited January 2021 in General

Looks Like DA are developing a pro pack to be included in some licenses :)

https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/pro-pack.62943/

Thanked by 1its420somewhere

Comments

• The slice of that juicy pie is getting a bit bigger and bigger :) . Good for them.

Thanked by 1xester
  • Oh wow.. really nodejs support in pro pack?

• no user backups for non pro pack users...

• @tridinebandim said:
    no user backups for non pro pack users...

User backups are already in DA, so this won’t change but they will be adding individual file restoration in the Pro pack from my understanding.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited January 2021

10/10 looking forward towards with. But mentally and with my wallet. <3

@DA_Mark @smtalk Keep on crushing it dudes. Maybe share some more hints ;)

Thanked by 1its420somewhere
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Hope Python works well

Thanked by 1kaz050457
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
  • I don't trust direct admin anymore
    Sells lifetime license
    Make updates paid
    Now not only the updates and also they want to charge you for the normal futures in other panels
    . Direct admin is not suitable for me

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

Haha, who knew lifetime license isn't sustainable... ?

:)

@Jorbox said:
    I don't trust direct admin anymore
    Sells lifetime license
    Make updates paid
    Now not only the updates and also they want to charge you for the normal futures in other panels

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Unfortunately all companies need sales and profit, so DA basic control panel will be the same price as advertised originally, as for top features will be at the same price level as cPanel or any other commercial panel, as development cost money.

• @Jorbox said: I don't trust direct admin anymore

ok

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Jorbox said:
    Sells lifetime license
    Make updates paid

If you read the features of PRO they're basically making their own Cloudlinux.

Francisco

Thanked by 2JamesF HostMayo
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited January 2021

@Jorbox said:
    Sells lifetime license
    Make updates paid

Would you prefer them Deadpooling like all your favorite providers here and leb?

Almost every vendor that sells softwares with life/one time price charges for updates. Why? You paid for the current product. Not the future. Your current service will continue to work without probably the newer features. But the rest should work exactly as one would hope for.

But anyways, enjoy CPanel.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Wait wait wait... Lifetime licenses will continue to get updates... Who said otherwise??

• @DA_Mark said:
    Wait wait wait... Lifetime licenses will continue to get updates... Who said otherwise??

He said @Jorbox

LOL.. :neutral:

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited January 2021

@lonea said: Haha, who knew lifetime license isn't sustainable... ?

All of (Dutch) hosting industry who has been around more than a few years. Over here, essentially every (budget) webhoster is using DirectAdmin lifetime licenses and has more than sufficient to last quite some time without paying the outrageous $29/m, which make for extremely low cost to deliver very great service. I can see DA making a tremendous amount of additional revenue, and likely, in spite of the accelerated development, (much deserved) profits.

While really enjoying the growth DirectAdmin got and really deserves (been with them for many many years), the new pricing (where one full year at Standard costs more than the former lifetime licenses, despite being the exact same service), makes for really unfair competition - if you were to ask me... The Pro Pack, so far, only really seems to deliver services that are part of CloudLinux - again, commonly used, or that can be implemented fairly easily yourself using some Bash/PHP - which again gives no real benefit. I don't think this will make folk jump from lifetime licenses to paying significantly more, effectively. Rather: it would be great to lower current pricing and make the Pro Pack an addition, an addon, just for those who need/ want it. I think that, to most the DA 'core' is more than sufficient and is what is paid for.

Really, Mark and John, nothing personal - just ignore the rage above, rather, regard it as feedback. Still loving DirectAdmin nonetheless - in spite of being 'stuck' to Enhanced, just by preference: the better, the - to me - OG, DirectAdmin.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2021

@Jorbox said:
    Sells lifetime license
    Make updates paid

Would you work for a company for life if they pay you only once in your whole life?

That's what you are asking.

• @RickBakkr Thank for the feedback & kind words. I remember your name from the early days. Legit OG. :sunglasses:

Quick feedback in return:

If you are a server provider/datacenter, that $29 doesn't apply to you. Under our internal pricing, you would pay less than 1/3 of that. Something under $10 for unlimited accounts/domains doesn't seem outrageous to me, especially these days. But of course, it doesn't compare to the deals of the past.

Regarding Pro Pack, totally fine if you think it's no big deal. In fact, someone on our forum admitted there was nothing in the list attractive to him. His only concern was "Please don't tell me I will be forced to buy this?" Of course, the answer is no. This is not a trick to get money out of OG people. You can continue to use your lifetime licenses, with updates, as you always have.

Very nice to see you posting here!!

• jhjh Member

As an owned licence holder, I fully support this. They have to make money somehow and continuing to provide updates and support for the originally purchased feature set and charging more for extra features is the fairest and most transparent way imho, and it encourages the company to keep developing new features which benefits everyone.

The Pro features look really good too!

Thanked by 2DA_Mark seriesn
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

I am a cPanel Refugee from the 1st price hike.

I managed to get a retail owned license at the time. I was actually looking into them around the same time it happened seeing the offers at buyvm and DA looked interesting.

To me, the $199 a year for Supoort which I have used a few times is perfect. I hate monthly fees and this is a good price point. Decent services cost money and development does as well. What everyone needs to remember is DA currently allows for unlimited domains and that is massive!! For a lot of hosts this will save them lots compared to cPanel new pricing! I mean CPanel (Dedicated hardware version) unlimited back in the day was more expensive than the DA retail standard monthly license for $29 and now you’ll have more discounts the more you buy.

To me personally their pricing is great!

A lot of the pro features to me look like what people wanted from cPanel. This to me is fair in rewarding users paying the higher price which included their support.

Also if these pro features mean you can drop cloudlinux, then that’s more savings again!

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • People are still taking about how a company can sell a product ones in the lifetime and pay the employees.!

Have you ever heard of open source where the product is completely free ? and still there are plenty of open source panels around and updated frequently.

The only reason why hosting panel companies are changing their prices not because they are not making money but because they want a larger piece of the cake.

They know how much money we make and want to take advantage of it, thats it.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2021

@Jorbox said: They know how much money we make and want to take advantage of it, thats it.

We're still talking about directadmin? The team that, even after cPanel raised prices the 1st time, went out of their way to introduce smaller, cheaper, plans just to help people out?? That directadmin?

Directadmin's prices have been exact freaking same as they were 10 years ago when I was talking to them about bulk licenses back then.

Please note:

• cPanel does not provide a way to limit RAM/CPU/other resources of a users account by default.
    • cPanel doesn't include a Python or RoR selector.
    • cPanel doesn't provide a secure SSH (think cagefs style). Directadmin includes a limited setup with bubblewrap already.
    • cPanel doesn't provide a way for full user control backup creation/restores on a per file basis.

To get the above you're spending an additional $17 - $20/month depending on how much you get Cloudlinux & JetBackups for.

If Directadmin comes in at $10 - $12/month for this, you're saving money.

There's no features that are currently in DA that will go missing once PRO is available. They aren't moving features to try to force you to upgrade.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@Jorbox said: They know how much money we make and want to take advantage of it, thats it.

We're still talking about directadmin? The team that, even after cPanel raised prices the 1st time, went out of their way to introduce smaller, cheaper, plans just to help people out?? That directadmin?

Directadmin's prices have been exact freaking same as they were 10 years ago when I was talking to them about bulk licenses back then.

Please note:

• cPanel does not provide a way to limit RAM/CPU/other resources of a users account by default.
    • cPanel doesn't provide a secure SSH (think cagefs style). Directadmin includes a limited setup with bubblewrap already.
    • cPanel doesn't provide a way for full user control backup creation/restores on a per file basis.

To get the above you're spending an additional $17 - $20/month depending on how much you get Cloudlinux & JetBackups for.

There's no features that are currently in DA that will go missing once PRO is available. They aren't moving features to try to force you to upgrade.

Francisco

You are completely right I know cPanel is the worst at pricing as they are changing their prices every hour.

I want to mention a message I sent to cPanel months ago about WordPress toolkit..

"Dear cPanel Support,

I want to talk about the Wordpress Toolkit, The plugin looks good but most of the features needs premium access, without the premium access I can't secure the installation, I don't think there is any need for the premium/lite thing and the full plugin should be included in the panel we are already paying +100$ month for license such services are included other panels for example Hestiacp, Cyberpanel even if they are opensource since the plugin is developed by you and not from a 3rd party it has to be included without extra fees.

As a developer I can secure the installation manually as mentioned in the plugin but why I would since I already paid cPanel to make things automated from managing the server to host websites, from the beginning I can install Apache,PHP,SQL and host my website manually without paying the fees."

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited January 2021

@Jorbox said:

You will get updates for free as it is for the main panel with current features....

if you need support or the pro pack got to pay $199 for extended support year which seems reasonable

I like that as it creates alternative to cloud linux which currently

I like this as it will allow Ubuntu providers to rise with Ryzen CPUs as even new RH8 CL8 kernel is too old to support them fully and reveal the full potential of the AMD and will help to check CL under control as when provider has no alternative they can rise the price to what level they want + they will become target for VCs which then will rise the prices as VCs will know product is without alternative

About wordpress toolkit softaculous has WP plugin with staging support that came free with a a softaculous license I doubd someone will pay cPanel per client

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@Francisco said:

Please note:

Francisco

They have some sort of collaboration with Cloudlinux and as well as with Jetbackup (you can see on pricing page). Are you sure they will develop Cloudlinux alternative with in DA with Pro ?

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited January 2021

@Jorbox said:
    People are still taking about how a company can sell a product ones in the lifetime and pay the employees.!

Have you ever heard of open source where the product is completely free ? and still there are plenty of open source panels around and updated frequently.

Is there anyone forcing you to not use the open source options? Just out of curiosity.

The only reason why hosting panel companies are changing their prices not because they are not making money but because they want a larger piece of the cake.

You want to save money as a consumer, they want to make money as a business. Inflation exists in every single industry.

Cows are still producing the same milk but yet the cost seems to go up, I am not aware of cow shortage. Or the price of egg. Or Rent. Or.... you know where I am going with this.

Atleast with DA, they are going up for existing customers and they are actually offering more for more. Unlike the examples I posted above or well, CuntPanel.

They know how much money we make and want to take advantage of it, thats it.

Are we still talking about DA? I really don’t understand the reason for you to rain on someone else’s parade.

LiteSpeed license costs a solid 30-70/mo
    CloudLinux costs another $10-15
    Immunity or cpguard adds another $10
    Softaculous adds another dollar.

If I can get the benefit of all the above, while spending half the price for the addon, I am not sure why that would be a bad thing.

• @coolice said:
    if you need support or the pro pack got to pay $199 for extended support year which seems reasonable

Where are you seeing $199/y for extended support. I thought extended support was $99/y?

• Exactly what @seriesn said. I think the Pro Pack is a good move and will extend the functionality of DA. Everything that cPanel doesn't offer, DA will and already can, can only be a good move by the DA team.

• @LeonDynamic said:

@coolice said:

Where are you seeing $199/y for extended support. I thought extended support was $99/y?

Someone on webhosting talk says $199 if it is 99 it is even better and will make me happy :) $8 on top of provider license for the pro pack as I do not have owned

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1834765&p=10286138#post10286138

• @coolice said:
    Someone on webhosting talk says $199 if it is 99 it is even better and will make me happy :) $8 on top of provider license for the pro pack as I do not have owned

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1834765&p=10286138#post10286138

Interesting, as the DA forum says $99/y - https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/pricing-changes-updates-as-of-july-1-2019-no-we-arent-raising-our-prices.58091/.

EDIT: We ultimately decided against the "Owned" license, which is a permanently activated license at $299 with one year of updates, and then $99/year after that.

Maybe @smtalk or @DA_Mark could shed some light on this?

Thanked by 1coolice