Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feasibility of low-ram VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feasibility of low-ram VPS

So I'm looking at things like hostsolutions.ro, where their cheapest VPS has 256 MB RAM. How does that even work? I can't even boot up Ubuntu Server installer on VirtualBox with that kind of memory - it just kernel panics. How does anyone manage to run any stuff on it? Can I expect nginx to even start at all, let alone handle more than five visitors at once? What's interesting is that it's not just the dirt cheap providers that skimp on the RAM. Why even limit to such ridiculous extent when normal usage isn't going to be that high.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@femter said: So I'm looking at things like hostsolutions.ro, where their cheapest VPS has 256 MB RAM. How does that even work? I can't even boot up Ubuntu Server installer on VirtualBox with that kind of memory - it just kernel panics. How does anyone manage to run any stuff on it? Can I expect nginx to even start at all, let alone handle more than five visitors at once? What's interesting is that it's not just the dirt cheap providers that skimp on the RAM. Why even limit to such ridiculous extent when normal usage isn't going to be that high.

You break my heart.

Read this:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

Granted, that was Deb 5 and current Deb says 512MB minimum but still, the principle applies.

I run a number of VPNs on 128MB boxes with no issues. I have run them on 32MB previously.

FreeBSD requires 96MB. OpenBSD doesn't publish a minimum but it's likely smaller. And of course NetBSD only requires 4MB of RAM.

There are plenty of other distros besides Ubuntu, which is a pig. It's minimum is more than RHEL's LOL.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

64MB is sufficient to host 18 sites: https://lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

I also just tried to run DirectAdmin on 256MB RAM without much efforts

Why even limit to such ridiculous extent

I am sure 256MB can run a lot of things, if you think you cant then maybe dont complain and just pay a bit more for a higher plan?

• They are perfect for a VPN.
    Got few 128MB OVZ NAT VPS running Debian 10 that I use for WireGuard.

• Calling push-up man @yoursunny to flex on you

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Just add some swap. I host a wordpress site with my 512m kvm vps using nginx, mariadb 10.3 and php7.4-fpm. Everything works smoothly and there are still 311m memory available.
    In my opinion, if server load is low (below 0.50) , you don't need to care too much about memory.

• daffydaffy Member
    edited January 2021

Don't have any 256MB VPS left, but still have 2 x512MB KVM which currently is still doing their job more than adequately. One being a slave NS, the other I use as with AdGuard for my home and VPN stuff.
    Running Debian and Ubuntu, even the newest is running smooth as silk.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

IIRC, the freevps.us forum (when it was around) was hosted on a 96MB VPS for a long time.

• Running a few monitoring tools and a VPN on a 128MB KVM.
    There are a lot of things you can do with a low-ram VPS.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

10 years ago, I had a PHP site runing on a 256M vps with 10k+ daily users