Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Already allocated IP from virmach?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Already allocated IP from virmach?

nwmnwm Member
edited January 2021 in General

So my VPS primary IP is 107.175.242.194 according to their panel

Server is off and a reverse ip lookup gives:

Support hasn't helped, am I being scammed?

Comments

• @nwm said:

Have you tried turning it on..?

• nwmnwm Member

of course

• Have you put in a ticket to update your reverse DNS record? DCs are notoriously slow in updating those.

Also, it's not a good idea to post your IP publicly in here.

• @nwm said:
    of course

Are you concerned that its showing these sites then?
    Cause you are likely not the first person using that ipv4, and these results that you posted could just mean that someone else hosted those sites before you got the IP assigned to you.

• nwmnwm Member

@t0ny0 said:

@nwm said:
    of course

Cause you are likely not the first person using that ipv4, and these results that you posted could just mean that someone else hosted those sites before you got the IP assigned to you.

nslookup thehandyhomegirl.com -> 107.175.242.194

• edited January 2021

@nwm said:

@t0ny0 said:

@nwm said:
    of course

Huh. Yeah that's just strange.
    Sounds like they assigned you an IP which is currently in use?? Cause its pinging back, so whatever that IP is running on - it's definitely online..
    @VirMach ?

• @nwm said:

@t0ny0 said:

@nwm said:
    of course

Hi, I can access your site

Thanked by 1pike
  • nwmnwm Member

@nyamenk said:

@nwm said:

@t0ny0 said:

@nwm said:
    of course

That's not my site

• @nwm said:

@nyamenk said:

@nwm said:

@t0ny0 said:

@nwm said:
    of course

That's not my site

lol , but that website is not what you think

• Your vps just provisioned?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

No you’re not being scammed.

Whatever it is, you’ll still need to wait for VirMach’s response and intervention.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited January 2021

Expand disk button? What kind of server is this? I was told that this button is dead now for new servers and only migrated OpenVZ -> KVMLite has those? But that would be like at least a year old server and you just checked IP?

Was there a migration of something or did you like... err... bought this from someone?
    Anyway - this is clearly a priority ticket - server is offline due to VirMach misconfiguration/fuckup, but when you open ticket like that please mention all the data and investigation you did: "Seems like my main IP <107.175.242.194> is already used by another service (conflict), this seems wrong, can't start server, etc" rather than going with "Help, you scammed me? Can't start".

First post, already going "scammed!?!!??!?!". I have a feeling you won't have a successful story :D

• Did you try reinstall ? By the disk expansion, this was a ovz package converted to kvm and you just bother now ?

• nwmnwm Member

@youandri said:
    Your vps just provisioned?

vps has been provisioned for ~ > @JabJab said:

Expand disk button? What kind of server is this? I was told that this button is dead now for new servers and only migrated OpenVZ -> KVMLite has those? But that would be like at least a year old server and you just checked IP?

Was there a migration of something or did you like... err... bought this from someone?
    Anyway - this is clearly a priority ticket - server is offline due to VirMach misconfiguration/fuckup, but when you open ticket like that please mention all the data and investigation you did: "Seems like my main IP <107.175.242.194> is already used by another service (conflict), this seems wrong, can't start server, etc" rather than going with "Help, you scammed me? Can't start".

First post, already going "scammed!?!!??!?!". I have a feeling you won't have a successful story :D

The ticket I opened was closed reporting this exact thing with screenshots, step by step, etc in their ticket system. I guess I should be a bit more patient

• nwmnwm Member

@ben47955 said:
    Did you try reinstall ? By the disk expansion, this was a ovz package converted to kvm and you just bother now ?

Multiple times IIRC Debian 10

• @nwm said:

@youandri said:

The ticket I opened was closed reporting this exact thing with screenshots, step by step, etc in their ticket system. I guess I should be a bit more patient

I doubt this if properly explained.

"My server is powered off but the IP $IP appears to already be online and not my VPS! Please check if it was double allocated by mistake. "

Reverse DNS is irrelevant and likely the root of your miscommunication.

• ask support to update reverse dns to your site.
    afaik, maybe $5 can help it.

• nwmnwm Member

@TimboJones said:

@nwm said:

@youandri said:

I doubt this if properly explained.

"My server is powered off but the IP $IP appears to already be online and not my VPS! Please check if it was double allocated by mistake. "

Reverse DNS is irrelevant and likely the root of your miscommunication.

I stated my IP wasn't correct and at the time as I couldn't rule out it was my issue until I dug into it, I provided screenshots of the main IP, reverse lookup of 107.175.242.194 and powered off the machine to show that the ip isn't for my vps (could still ping 107.175.242.194 which is why it was off in the initial screen shot). It's ok I'll deal with it later though just frustrated

• Have you tired the VNC console to see if the server is getting a different unique ip through DHCP?

• nwmnwm Member

@cablepick said:
    Have you tired the VNC console to see if the server is getting a different unique ip through DHCP?

No didn't think of that, will try though thanks!

• @nwm said:

Reverse DNS will resolve regardless of the state of your server. They have have TTL for the reverse DNS record set at 1 hour in which case even if you change the hostname, it may take up to an hour for the resolution update on all name servers.

https://www.dynu.com/en-US/NetworkTools/ReverseLookup?IPAddress=107.175.242.194

The reverse lookup gives 107-175-242-194-host.colocrossing.com at this time.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • nwmnwm Member
    edited January 2021

@WiredBlade said:

@nwm said:

Reverse DNS will resolve regardless of the state of your server. They have have TTL for the reverse DNS record set at 1 hour in which case even if you change the hostname, it may take up to an hour for the resolution update on all name servers.

shutdown vps..
    ping 107.175.242.194 which replies
    vnc into vps, no internet connection with solus setup networking

• @nwm said:

@WiredBlade said:

@nwm said:

shutdown vps..

Would you be able to provide MTR from both source to destination and destination to source? Example mtr command below:

mtr -rwbzc 107.175.242.194

There must be a routing issue. BTW, the ping rate to that IP is extremely high. Are you able to ping the gateway from the VPS?

• nwmnwm Member

@WiredBlade said:

@nwm said:

@WiredBlade said:

@nwm said:

shutdown vps..

Would you be able to provide MTR from both source to destination and destination to source? Example mtr command below:

mtr -rwbzc 107.175.242.194

There must be a routing issue. BTW, the ping rate to that IP is extremely high. Are you able to ping the gateway from the VPS?

Cannot ping anything from within the VPS, gateway, external, nada

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited January 2021

I would suggest stop doing things and turning the machine off tbh and waiting for support.

From all the looks here it looks like you got duplicated/allocated to other service IP and with starting/restarting/trying to fix stuff you can break the other guys thing. I know your service is dead... but even if you will temporary somehow fix it (while breaking his/her website), they will probably try the same fix... and restores theirs/breaks yours - you both will end with dead services.

I mean I have no idea how VirMach setup is provisioned, but in most (some?) cases it's possible - traffic will get routed to you, you don't have that website (and everything else there configured), etc.

• nwmnwm Member

Resolved, given a new IP