Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Parler goes offline after AWS shuts off traffic to its clients - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Parler goes offline after AWS shuts off traffic to its clients

2»

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@vovler said:
    @Francisco should just host Parler
    if he doesnt, the second option would be HostSolutions.ro :D

How does the other users feel when they know their websites are running over the dirty fibers that are transferring violent content?

More importantly, if Luxembourg / Romanian police demands to power off the router, other users would be severely affected.

• @SmartHost said: either they are a private business free to service who they want OR they are a common carrier protected by section 230.

Yes, because it really is a simple either/or like that.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2021

@t0ny0 said:
    And I'm not going to pretend that I am not enjoying seeing these twats taken down. Because I am very much enjoying it :-)

No problem, and maybe it will help you to understand the Trump voting rednecks when it's their turn to very much enjoying it ...

@lonea said:
    At the end of the day, a religion is a belief. Not facts.

But a belief protected by the constitution.

To avoid misunderstandings: I'm not at all against gays (or people of color, or ...) but I'm against "X believes that Y did [something bad]" or "X feeling oppressed, discriminated against, ..." replacing a fair trial and a judge determining what really happened and who really is guilty.
    And I'm against one group plundering buildings and setting them on fire being called "largely peaceful protests" but another group, 99.9% if which did indeed protest peacefully, being called rioters.

Thanked by 1elos42
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

So what are you trying to rebuttal against?

The fact that it is ok for a belief to discriminate just because it is protected by the constitution, or a business in America can choose to do business with whomever they want based on their company values ?

... oh wait it's the same thing.

@jsg said: But a belief protected by the constitution.

• @FrankZ said:

@elliotc said: Epic but it is saying nothing...

I was suggesting to read the book for a better understanding of the times we live in. As the cycles of time have a tendency to rhyme.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" can fit into any second of the history. Literature is literature, they are romantic, but also unrealistic.

If you really want to know more about the times we live in, I will highly suggest you read "amusing ourselves to death".

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@vovler said: if he doesnt, the second option would be HostSolutions.ro

Romania is country with lots of corruption and crime, not a free speech heaven.

Parler needs to find a host for their frontend within the US or Russia, not many suitable options but there are some which can work. Since they also need significant DDoS protection, their options are limited.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@t0ny0 said: And if you see it as a "freedom of speech" issue - thats on you. Because it is not (at least thats my opinion).

@lonea said: The fact that it is ok for a belief to discriminate just because it is protected by the constitution, or a business in America can choose to do business with whomever they want based on their company values ? ... oh wait it's the same thing.

I understand these arguments but they're a bit off-base.

In the case of the bakery, refusing to serve a gay couple is completely within their rights. A bakery is not an essential business (as, for example, a hotel has been ruled to be) and couple still have literally thousands of other options. Moreover, as pointed out, they did not refuse to serve them, only to customize in a particular manner (depends which case - there were several of these). And also worth pointing out, this case was 100% BS from the start - at least one of these bakeries was targeted specifically to make a stink.

Finally, there's a huge difference between religious freedom - which is protected - and discriminatory practices, which are not. In the 50s/60s, lunch counters were not saying "blacks can't drink at these water fountains" out of religious beliefs. Indeed, they were saying "they can't drink there because the law says it's illegal". There's a difference between overturning a law (through legislative or judicial means) and private rights.

It's hugely different when we're talking about social media. Sure, you can still get to Parler by going to the parler.com (or whatever it is) web site. And yes, Apple, Google, Facebook, and Twitter are private businesses.

But come on - in 2021, the "town square" is not the web, it's mobile devices and social media. Imagine a country in which every square inch was owned by Evil Co. except for a patch of swampland. 99.9% of people worked and lived in the gleaming cities and teaming luxury marketplaces, but their speech there was thoroughly censored. "Of course, if you want to protest, feel free to do so on public land," which is only the swamp land. Technically, free speech is preserved, but practically, there is no free speech.

It's more accurate to say that the town square has been privatized and a small group of companies have decided to squelch any conversation they don't approve of. Let's be real - if you're banned from FB/Twitter and your app is rejected by the two major app stores, you're dead as far as reaching the public. These places are the de facto public square and big tech's ability to censor them is appalling.

• @Nyr said:

@vovler said: if he doesnt, the second option would be HostSolutions.ro

Romania is country with lots of corruption and crime, not a free speech heaven.

Parler needs to find a host for their frontend within the US or Russia, not many suitable options but there are some which can work. Since they also need significant DDoS protection, their options are limited.

So BuyVM at NY w/a DDOS Protected IP and TBs and TBs of slabs

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

Well, that's the key point here.

@raindog308 said: Technically, free speech is preserved, but practically, there is no free speech.

People are saying this is censor of free speech but indeed it isn't. When parler signed up to be in the Apple app store, Google play store, AWS, they agreed to certain guidelines and policies which they have to follow. They have the freedom to not follow it. That's entirely up to them.

At the end of the day companies make decisions based on what make (dollar) sense to them the most and they have the freedom to make business decisions.

"Freedom" is a double edged sword.

@lonea said:
    So what are you trying to rebuttal against?

The fact that it is ok for a belief to discriminate just because it is protected by the constitution, or a business in America can choose to do business with whomever they want based on their company values ?

... oh wait it's the same thing.

@jsg said: But a belief protected by the constitution.

Yes, indeed.

Plus: not providing one special service != cutting all services off.

Is it great, do I like it that someone doesn't get his cake made? No - but it's part of life and a grown up gay couple would simply have got their cake made elsewhere. But for that couple it wasn't really about the cake; it was about making lots of "discrimination!!!!!" noise. Did they care at all about that bakers life work being endangered or even destroyed? Nope. They wanted to win their "fight for gay rights" no matter the cost - as long as others had to pay them.

One reason I very much like Putin is that when asked why the russian government "discriminates" against gays, he said something along the lines of "We do not discriminate. In fact, we do not care at all what you do in your bedroom. But we won't allow certain minority groups to impose their world view upon others". Well said.

• edited January 2021

@jsg said:
    anti-Trump witch-hunt.

He instigated an attempted coup, which failed like everything else he does, and you are still trying to call it a witch-hunt?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@vovler said:
    @Francisco should just host Parler
    if he doesnt, the second option would be HostSolutions.ro :D

How does the other users feel when they know their websites are running over the dirty fibers that are transferring violent content?

More importantly, if Luxembourg / Romanian police demands to power off the router, other users would be severely affected.

You have a weird sense of purity for the internet given there's CP hosted on every single host on the internet. As well as spammers, malware, etc.

At the end of the day Parler has a pretty strong moderation team, far more than twitter. You can go on twitter and see 10's of thousands of people calling for the Mike Pence to be hung, or people literally calling for the irradication of Isreal and such.

If they wanted to be hosted on me I'd have no problem with that. Biggest issue would be a capacity wise since I'm assuming they'd need quite a bit of equipment.

I reached out to them to at least see what their setup is like. I'm assuming that the vast majority of their rumoured AWS spend is for bandwidth.

Francisco

@lonea said:
    Well, that's the key point here.

@raindog308 said: Technically, free speech is preserved, but practically, there is no free speech.

People are saying this is censor of free speech but indeed it isn't.

It’s like you read nothing I wrote.

De facto vs de jure.

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@jsg said:
    anti-Trump witch-hunt.

He instigated an attempted coup, which failed like everything else he does, and you are still trying to call it a witch-hunt?

What a pile of BS! A coup looks very different and you should be happy to obviously never having lived through one.
    I've seen multiple video clips of multiple occasions where Trump clearly asked his followers to act peacefully. In case you have so much as a clip where he tried to instigate violence feel free to tell me.

Also kindly note that I am not pro Trump. I am against the lying media, against obvious election manipulations, and against the political swamp (no matter the party) which doesn't care sh_t about the american people, again, no matter the political party.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@vovler said: So BuyVM at NY w/a DDOS Protected IP and TBs and TBs of slabs

The slabs are a bad idea, they absolutely need to separate frontend and backend to be able to switch providers fast.

I don't think BuyVM would be my first choice if I were in their position, but can be a good and fast option to get started while they create a plan for the long term.

Given that they have a decent amount of money to burn, they can do better than putting a relatively small provider in a difficult position with their upstream.

• edited January 2021

@jsg said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@jsg said:
    anti-Trump witch-hunt.

What a pile of BS! A coup looks very different and you should be happy to obviously never having lived through one.
    I've seen multiple video clips of multiple occasions where Trump clearly asked his followers to act peacefully. In case you have so much as a clip where he tried to instigate violence feel free to tell me.

Also kindly note that I am not pro Trump. I am against the lying media, against obvious election manipulations, and against the political swamp (no matter the party) which doesn't care sh_t about the american people, again, no matter the political party.

They beat a cop with an American flag. They beat another cop to death with a fire extinguisher. You are piece of garbage for supporting these people. I won't respond to you again.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    You are piece of garbage for supporting these people.

Just because you disagree does not give you the right to sling insults.

Thanked by 3jsg Andrews angelius
  • @Nyr said: Given that they have a decent amount of money to burn, they can do better than putting a relatively small provider in a difficult position with their upstream.

But big providers want to save face against the left media, so I doubt anyone big would take them in for PR reasons.
    But if they find someone, good for them.

• @LosPollosHermanos said:

@jsg said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@jsg said:
    anti-Trump witch-hunt.

They beat a cop with an American flag. They beat another cop to death with a fire extinguisher. You are piece of garbage for supporting these people. I won't respond to you again.

From the same people shouting "BLUE LIVES MATTER" and "LAW AND ORDER".

The fucking irony man.

These kinds of threads never end well.

This discussion has been closed.