Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Parler goes offline after AWS shuts off traffic to its clients
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Parler goes offline after AWS shuts off traffic to its clients

Looks like AWS has taken Parler servers offline, and the service is currently down.

Saw this on a discussion. But is it really that big a deal? I'm sure those guys can easily rent a rack on a DC somewhere and put up their own servers?

Surely not all colo providers would be averse to dealing with them?

Don't hold your breath. There's only a handful of firms that can handle traffic at that scale and I highly doubt Microsoft or the others would take their business. And it doesn't matter who's funding them, they can't afford to spin up their own onprem servers even if they managed to not get dropped by payment processors (which will be coming shortly).

AWS pulls the plug
  1. Do you agree with what AWS did?85 votes
    1. Yes
      34.12%
    2. No
      56.47%
    3. Kinda, but should have given more time to Parler
        9.41%

Comments

• Eventually they will find warm spot somewhere in Russia. Such advertisement from media is rather a favor for them.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@LTniger said:
    Eventually they will find warm spot somewhere in Russia. Such advertisement from media is rather a favor for them.

Why Russia? Mexico is right next door and the mexican president has condemned the anti-Trump witch-hunt.
    Also I'm not so sure that Russia would like to get involved. The "Russia = enemy ergo Russia supporting anything against the USA" may describe the view of many Americans but certainly not that of most Russians.

• Kinda funny. The shit you see on Telegram messenger, wickr, signal...and this gets shut down. Meh.

• They will be coming for Conservatives next, not just Trump supporters. People on Twitter seem to think conservative-minded people are evil.

• @jsg said: Why Russia?

Because Russia has history to host websites not welcomed in USA. Probably oligarchs has better data centers than MX cartels.

edited January 2021

@LTniger said:

@jsg said: Why Russia?

Because Russia has history to host websites not welcomed in USA. Probably oligarchs has better data centers than MX cartels.

Hahahaha! Now that the "oligarch" card has been played only one assertion is missing (russian DCs are all rusty and run by continually drunk staff"). Sorry but at least currently it seems that Russia is a by far more open minded and democratic state with high levels of freedom than the USA.

Hint: what do you call Bezos, Dorsey, and the likes? They are not oligarchs?

• @jsg said: what do you call Bezos, Dorsey, and the likes? They are not oligarchs?

Those are moguls. They don't brute force, they simply buy what they want and is on entirely another level than oligarchs.

Russian DC's are not rusty and run by drunk staff :D . Rather otherwise, Russians are well known for their damn good engineering skills. Personally I had work with Russian programmers, very intelligent people. Myths about vodka :) well, they are myths.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @jsg said: Sorry but at least currently it seems that Russia is a by far more open minded and democratic state with high levels of freedom than the USA.

Just passed by to make my laugh audible.

Thanked by 2pike vimalware
  • @LTniger said:

@jsg said: what do you call Bezos, Dorsey, and the likes? They are not oligarchs?

Those are moguls. They don't brute force, they simply buy what they want and is on entirely another level than oligarchs.

Russian DC's are not rusty and run by drunk staff :D . Rather otherwise, Russians are well known for their damn good engineering skills. Personally I had work with Russian programmers, very intelligent people. Myths about vodka :) well, they are myths.

Not even close.

• angeliusangelius Member
    edited January 2021

My first reaction after seeing this is we are following CCP ideas of mutting opposit voices, this is really bad!

Thanked by 1DataWagon

I'm glad to see that there are quite a few here who have a realistic image of Russia.

• Parler should sue amazon.

• @angelius said:
    My first reaction after seeing this is we are following CCP ideas of mutting opposit voices, this is really bad!

What is CCP, if I may ask?

• @Shot2 said:

@angelius said:

Chinese Communist Party.

• @LTniger said:

@Shot2 said:

@angelius said:

Chinese Communist Party.

Oh, right, thought it was some USofA political thing.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

@dodheimsgard said:
    Parler should sue amazon.

They can sue but they won't win.

Thanks to the bakery that denied a gay couple wedding.

@lonea said:

@dodheimsgard said:

• Relation?
    • That bakery did not deny them their wedding (and how could they?), they merely denied to make a special wedding cake for them
    • Funny how you do see the right of gays to marry, but not the right of the baker to stay true to his belief. Is being gay and desiring to marry somehow more valuable a right than the right to ones religious belief? Certainly not in my universe.
    edited January 2021

They denied doing business with them because they're gay. If you didn't bother reading it up on the case.

Meaning, any business can deny doing business with anyone based on their own beliefs.

And in this case, Amazon believes Parler is responsible for the capital riot.

@jsg said:

@lonea said:

@dodheimsgard said:

• Relation?
    • That bakery did not deny them their wedding (and how could they?), they merely denied to make a special wedding cake for them
    • Funny how you do see the right of gays to marry, but not the right of the baker to stay true to his belief. Is being gay and desiring to marry somehow more valuable a right than the right to ones religious belief? Certainly not in my universe.
    Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting

@lonea said:
    They denied doing business with them because they're gay. If you didn't bother reading it up on the case.

Meaning, any business can deny doing business with anyone based on their own beliefs.

No. They clearly said that they would sell the gays whatever they wanted (standard products). They only refused to create a custom designed cake. Big difference.

And those gay people also had a lot of other options - Parler however not. They were willfully cut off and it was known, understood, and planned to deny them other options in a concerted effort.

And in this case, Amazon believes Parler is responsible for the capital riot.

Assume Donald Trump believed that twitter was responsible for what you call "capitol riot". Would you accept then that it's OK, if Trump put twitter completely out of business? Of course not.

Guilt ("they were responsible for ...") must be determined by a proper court and not by Amazon or twitter.

Thanked by 2needsy elos42
  • edited January 2021

@jsg said:

No. They clearly said that they would sell the gays whatever they wanted (standard products). They only refused to create a custom designed cake. Big difference.

Hence - they refused to provide them with a certain service. Im sure parler people can still order shit off of Amazon, but can't use their specific hosting platform.

And those gay people also had a lot of other options - Parler however not. They were willfully cut off and it was known, understood, and planned to deny them other options in a concerted effort.

It is not. Its none of amazons business as to what Parler people have as an option. They are just making it clear that AWS is NOT an option for them.

Assume Donald Trump believed that twitter was responsible for what you call "capitol riot". Would you accept then that it's OK, if Trump put twitter completely out of business? Of course not.

He is an elected official. He is NOT a business. They go by different rules.

Guilt ("they were responsible for ...") must be determined by a proper court and not by Amazon or twitter.

AWS and amazon and Twitter and Facebook are businesses. And they have the full right to refuse service as they see fit. The same way that they would take down someone hosting CP - they will also take down shit that results in violence. Or will take it down because the CEO woke up in a bad mood, and decided he doesn't want to provide services to a certain company. It doesn't matter why they don't want them on board. The fact is - they have the legal right to refuse a customer.

Thanked by 2skorous maverickp
    edited January 2021

Parler have other options. Ie: they can build a datacenter themselves, or in the other case "those gay people" can build their own cake.

@jsg said:>And those gay people also had a lot of other options - Parler however not. They were willfully cut off and it was known, understood, and planned to deny them other options in a concerted effort.

• It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way ó in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
    -- A Tale of Two Cities

• In ancient times, people who did not believe in God were guilty. What’s more interesting is that there are not many people who understand words, so the father says you are guilty, then you will die.

Welcone to the ancient time.

• @FrankZ said:
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way ó in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
    -- A Tale of Two Cities

Epic but it is saying nothing...

@t0ny0 @lonea

Well, obviously we have different views and I refuse to play the games of people who use tricks like "Trump is not a business" (well, simply replace "Trump" with some business) obviously just for the sake of somehow "being right" - my point however wasn't "politician vs. business" but it was "believing? Seriously? Remember the times when one had to prove an allegation and/or get a court verdict?". Today believing (or feeling) is enough.

Be proud of that achievement ... while it lasts.
    But please do not unnerve me when - yes, 'when', not 'if' - the tide turns and all the woke believers and feelers get to taste their own medicine based on oh so evil right wingers hitting you just as brutally based on what they "believe" and "feel".

Thanked by 1elos42
  • edited January 2021

@jsg said:
    @t0ny0 @lonea

Well, obviously we have different views and I refuse to play the games of people who use tricks like "Trump is not a business" (well, simply replace "Trump" with some business) obviously just for the sake of somehow "being right" - my point however wasn't "politician vs. business" but it was "believing? Seriously? Remember the times when one had to prove an allegation and/or get a court verdict?". Today believing (or feeling) is enough.

Be proud of that achievement ... while it lasts.
    But please do not unnerve me when - yes, 'when', not 'if' - the tide turns and all the woke believers and feelers get to taste their own medicine based on oh so evil right wingers hitting you just as brutally based on what they "believe" and "feel".

I have been kicked out of a gas station, due to them "not serving my kind".
    I didn't take them to court. I just took my business elsewhere :-)

I am not gonna go around to bitch and moan that some inbred basement-dwelling redneck republican (figured that out by the Trump flag hanging in there, and the couple of teeth left in the dwellers mouth) refused to sell me a bottle of water because I am mexican (which I also am not btw).

So don't go around telling me that this has just started. There has been refusal of service for a long time, from both ends.

And if you see it as a "freedom of speech" issue - thats on you. Because it is not (at least thats my opinion).

And I'm not going to pretend that I am not enjoying seeing these twats taken down. Because I am very much enjoying it :-)

I am not going to continue this conversation, because we all have our points of view. And I will not try and force mine on someone else, because that will be a waste of time for both parties involved. And vice versa.

Thanked by 2lonea skorous
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2021

@elliotc said: Epic but it is saying nothing...

I was suggesting to read the book for a better understanding of the times we live in. As the cycles of time have a tendency to rhyme.

@jsg said: But please do not unnerve me when - yes, 'when', not 'if' - the tide turns and all the woke believers and feelers get to taste their own medicine based on oh so evil right wingers hitting you just as brutally based on what they "believe" and "feel".

More likely the US will get their own Robespierre and Law of 22 Prairial. In other words they will do it to themselves.

edited January 2021

No, you are trying to rebuttal the case between bakery vs gay couple

There was nothing the bakery could go on about not serving the gay couple. Hence... believing

At the end of the day, a religion is a belief. Not facts.

@jsg said: Well, obviously we have different views and I refuse to play the games of people who use tricks like "Trump is not a business" (well, simply replace "Trump" with some business) obviously just for the sake of somehow "being right" - my point however wasn't "politician vs. business" but it was "believing? Seriously? Remember the times when one had to prove an allegation and/or get a court verdict?". Today believing (or feeling) is enough.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2021

Don't forget that they receive protections from the government (section 230) as if they were a common carrier telecom business, that is not responsible for user activity/content.

They cannot have their cake and eat it too (pun intended)...either they are a private business free to service who they want OR they are a common carrier protected by section 230. If they want to start policing content and removing things they do not politically agree with, then they need to have their section 230 coverage removed. Fair is fair.

• @Francisco should just host Parler
    if he doesnt, the second option would be HostSolutions.ro :D

Thanked by 1raindog308
This discussion has been closed.