Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rent to own dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rent to own dedicated server?

Hello all,

As the question above,
Just wondering, do any providers here offer rent to own dedicated servers?
What is the price usually offered?

Thank you.

Thanked by 1Ganonk

Comments

• I wonder why you would want this. It's probably cheaper and more flexible to buy/lease and colocate.

• Worldstream do.

Thanked by 1youandri
  • @marvel said:
    I wonder why you would want this. It's probably cheaper and more flexible to buy/lease and colocate.

I think, it is simpler to use this mechanism. We don't need to buy a server first and move to colocation. Besides, the upfront cost of purchasing a server is quite substantial. :smile:

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2021

@youandri said:

You should keep in mind, that in some countries, doing financing would be subject to an additional business liscense or regulation.

The legitimate options i am aware of are:

• dacentec (.us - used hardware)
    • empire-hosting.net (.us - used or new hardware)

• serverius (.nl - new hardware)

• worldstream (.nl - new hardware)

On new hardware, you will not save much. Just think regular pruchase price broken up over a certain timeframe. Add a few % on top for the financing . So in the end you could come out more expensive than on an outright purchase.

@youandri said:
    I think, it is simpler to use this mechanism. We don't need to buy a server first and move to colocation. Besides, the upfront cost of purchasing a server is quite substantial. :smile:

The oder the hardware, the more likely you have to also deal with failure. It then becomes a thing with: how do you get spare parts to the datacenter, how much is the remote hands (if not included),....

So from experience i can tell you that if you go for colo, go with your own hardware without financing. Otherwise your best option for value is most likely just regular server rentals.

Thanked by 1youandri
  • @SGraf said:

@youandri said:

You should keep in mind, that in some countries, doing financing would be subject to an additional business liscense or regulation.

The legitimate options i am aware of are:
    *dacentec (.us - used hardware)
    * empire-hosting.net (.us - used or new hardware)

• serverius (.nl - new hardware)
    • worldstream (.nl - new hardware)

@youandri said:

The oder the hardware, the more likely you have to also deal with failure. It then becomes a thing with: how do you get spare parts to the datacenter, how much is the remote hands (if not included),....

So from experience i can tell you that if you go for colo, go with your own hardware without financing. Otherwise your best option for value is most likely just regular server rentals.

I see, that makes sense. :smiley:

• Same as other opinions, I won't mix the two:

Usually I would go for rented server or otherwise just buy the server and co-locate instead. Rent to own servers aren't that cost effective overall and you may or may not want to use it at the end of long contract.

Thanked by 1youandri
  • @youandri said:
    Hello all,

As the question above,
    What is the price usually offered?

Thank you.

yes, lots of providers here.

Thanked by 1youandri
  • Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

We offer lease to own servers on 3, 6, and 12-month leases in our Dallas, TX location.

• Dacentec

Thanked by 1youandri
  • It's probably cheaper to buy your own equipment (get a loan if you can't afford the initial investment all upfront), then colocate it.

Be careful, HudsonValleyHost is ColoCrossing, so good luck ever sending emails from or using IPv6 with the server :)

Thanked by 2youandri Frameworks
  • Dacentec, I have done it before. But most of is old hardware though

Thanked by 1youandri
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@youandri send us a PM. We have quite a few clients that utilize this.