Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Hetzner Data Centre?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Hetzner Data Centre?

BSABSA Member
edited August 2018 in General

Hi guys, I need some help. I'm looking to purchase a server at Hetzner but not sure which location is best for me. I need the best location for UK traffic.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1hablutzel1
Hetzner Data Centre
  1. Which Hetzner data centre is best for UK traffic?177 votes
    1. Nuremberg, Germany
      40.68%
    2. Falkenstein, Germany
      45.76%
    3. Helsinki, Finland
      13.56%

Comments

• Not Finland.

Thanked by 1BSA
  • Falkenstein (FSN1-DC6) was quicker than Nuremberg for me using VM & BT (forget which Nuremberg DC number sorry).

Thanked by 1BSA
  • vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

FSN is good as my view

Thanked by 1BSA
  • pikepike Veteran

Any location will most likely connect through frankfurt.

Add 2-3ms for Falkenstein and Nuremberg and 20ms for Finland.

Thanked by 2Falzo BSA
  • graphicgraphic Member
    edited August 2018

For me Nuremberg was always better than Falkenstein. Stable speeds and less downtimes than in Falkenstein.

Thanked by 1BSA
  • BSABSA Member

Thanks all for your input, I think Nuremberg is the clear favourite.

Here is also something Hetzner sent to me:

You can ping to our data center in Nuremberg: nbg.icmp.hetzner.com
    You can ping to our data center in Falkenstein: fsn.icmp.hetzner.com
    You can ping to our data center in Finland: hel.icmp.hetzner.com

The latency between our data center locations in Nuremberg and Falkenstein is ca. 3.2 ms.

The latency between our data center locations in Nuremberg and Finland is ca. 23.6 ms.

Thanked by 2hablutzel1 Rich
  • emghemgh Member

Their Finland centre dosen’t have good routing to even other nordic countries. From Sweden with my home connection with honestly good routing still routed through Germany from Finland to Sweden. It’s really not good.

Thanked by 2BSA rm_
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited August 2018

@emgh said:
    Their Finland centre dosen’t have good routing to even other nordic countries.

They started with routing all connections through frankfurt (5 months ago), now they have direct routing for some connections... guess what they will have in the future?

Atm they seem to be peering with Telia in Sweden.

Thanked by 1BSA
  • YuraYura Member

Give Heztner time! and money. and time. and money.

their name makes me think of ketchup.

Thanked by 1BSA
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

If your use case REALLY is time critical then get a server in the UK. If it's not then what do you care about 5 or even 20 ms?

Thanked by 1BSA
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Yura said: Give Heztner time! and money. and time. and money.

their name makes me think of ketchup.

1) This makes me feel old, but is the "time! and money..." a movie/song quote? It feels like it should be.

2) In the provider poll someone accidentally misspelled our name "Hertzner", so I guess we make people think of ketchup and rental cars. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 2Yura pike
  • YuraYura Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    is the "time! and money..." a movie/song quote? It feels like it should be.

blushes I do write amazing scripts for movies but Hollywood is too slow on getting it on with young talented writers. I will send you premier tickets, Katie.

2) In the provider poll someone accidentally misspelled our name "Hertzner", so I guess we make people think of ketchup and rental cars. --Katie, Marketing

I get hungry every time I think of Hetzner. One day I might become a fat pussy just like my avatar but there is no help for that - your servers are too tasty to keep myself away from them <3

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • pikepike Veteran

@Hetzner_OL said:

Honestly there are worse misspellings of your companies name. If someone leaves the n for example...

• solufsoluf Member
    edited August 2018

I really don't get it. If most of the traffic moves through fsn location won't fsn be the best?

(they "carry" all the other datacenters).

@pike said:
    Honestly there are worse misspellings of your companies name. If someone leaves the n for example...

True, true. For you non-German speakers, you'll have to look that one up. --Katie, Marketing

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Yura said:
    ... fat pussy just like my avatar ...

OT side note: cats aren't fat. They are stately. Just like cats are not "jerky, weird, obviously insane, and occasionally unnerving" but "playful".

@Hetzner_OL

Your tolerance is commendable but keep in mind that Google might be less forgiving with wrong company name spelling.

Btw, I like it very much that your company is still called after its founder (well, I guess) rather than the usual "GigaCyber" or similar.

jsg said: Btw, I like it very much that your company is still called after its founder (well, I guess) rather than the usual "GigaCyber" or similar.

Yes, it is and it also helps that the founder is actually quite a nice guy and is unpretentious. The company still feels like a family business despite its growth. Today we got to have a free barbeque lunch "just because". @Yura - You had me thinking of you when I saw the condiments. ;) --Katie

Thanked by 3Yura pike emgh
  • kaktus69kaktus69 Member
    edited August 2018

@Sid Falkenstein was definitely quicker than Nuremburg for me (hence why I dropped that server and kept the Falkenstein one).

They were similar E3 specs - no iNIC on the Nuremburg one but wouldn't think that would make a huge difference.

I didn't do any proper 'scientific' testing, just bench.sh and sftp'ing things to home and there was a bottleneck somewhere between me and it.

Perhaps the Nuremburg server I tested was on a particularly busy rack or switch.

Edit: they were both Auction servers rather than the current range

Thanked by 1BSA
  • so fsn and nbg good than finlan ?

Thanked by 1jonatha
  • @mzikagate said:
    so fsn and nbg good than finlan ?

Yes.
    My testing from my place in the UK in the past revealed a small boost in nbg compared to fsn but both are really great for connecting from UK - Finland is definitely usable
    but a fair amount worse in terms in connection unless you and all your users are up there next to it.

(I was testing on Hetzner Cloud)

• Finland is the best for me..

• @black84 said:
    Finland is the best for me..

Generally depends where in the world you are, the topic was coming from the UK and the answer to that is definitely not Finland. I can think of a few places though where Finland would be a useful server location.

• You can find some more information about Hetzner datacenter's network here: https://docs.hetzner.com/general/others/data-centers-and-connection#how-are-the-data-centers-connected-to-each-other

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • FWIW - I'm on east coast of US and Finland has better peering to me.

• @network33 said:
    FWIW - I'm on east coast of US and Finland has better peering to me.

Why? Germany is closer to US than Finland!

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

I guess the newer a DC is, the better.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited January 2021

@jsg said:

@Yura said:
    ... fat pussy just like my avatar ...

OT side note: cats aren't fat. They are stately. Just like cats are not "jerky, weird, obviously insane, and occasionally unnerving" but "playful".

@Hetzner_OL

Your tolerance is commendable but keep in mind that Google might be less forgiving with wrong company name spelling.

Btw, I like it very much that your company is still called after its founder (well, I guess) rather than the usual "GigaCyber" or similar.

Oh damn! I gotta steal this name and make a new DC locally. Gigacyberhyper. 800ms to EVERYONE! 10/2mbps connection on already trusted ADSL

• @Erisa said:

@black84 said:
    Finland is the best for me..

Generally depends where in the world you are, the topic was coming from the UK and the answer to that is definitely not Finland. I can think of a few places though where Finland would be a useful server location.

Still acceptable from UK for SEO Website in my opinion...

edited January 2021

I think that depends on what you want to do and where you are personally located. Our product advice techs can help you directly at +49 (0)911 234226-927 or https://www.hetzner.com/support-form or click on the red chat symbol (bottom left of screen)