Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need reliable SMTP for email sending for user registrations + more (not a spammer!)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need reliable SMTP for email sending for user registrations + more (not a spammer!)

risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Hi everyone, I'm in the middle of working on an SMTP class for sending emails out for a new project I'm working on. This isn't a mass sender per say - really part of a system I'm using for people to register within my project to receive their email credentials and / or verification emails to make sure clowns and bots aren't going to be on the system if people decide to use it.

Because it's an absolute startup, it's going to be pretty much me testing while I code so I suspect very low emails the first few months. As hopefully people register, those emails may increase (and I have no vision of whether it could be 10 per month or 1000 per month or 10,000 per month at this point though one would likely see the change as that comes by).

Long story short, I need something cheap at this point but works (minus I do not want to have to set up my own VPS and have to keep eyes on ip blacklisting though that should not happen with my usage - again though, rather have it outsourced so I can focus on the project - this is going to just start off with registration / password reset emails as far as my vision goes so far).

Any provider willing to supply or confirm whether they would be cool with this? Would like the price and what sort of email thresholds are allowed so I'm clear on how I go about this.

I was thinking about MXRoute / @jar unless he still has beef with me.
I also saw @seriesn offering cheap personal emails as well.

Any others from reputable providers are welcome so I can make a decision. Yearly offers would be great just so I don't have to keep remembering to pay for the service as well.

Thanks for reading and understanding, I know someone is going to call scam / spammer (very funny).

Thanked by 1seriesn

Comments

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

The fact that you assume we will think you are sending spam is enough for me to think that you are a spammer :lol:

If I remember correctly, @seriesn resells @jar so both are off limits if @jar "still has beef with [you]" (@risharde please elaborate -- I like drama :smirk: )

• DianTamaDianTama Member
    edited January 2021

if you are using it for transactional email,
    try to use amazon ses / SendGrid / mailgun

It's easy to integrate, and it's relatively cheap.
    and it good option too if you were planning on going big

Thanked by 2risharde the_doctor
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@lentro I hate to be on the end of drama as well especially here lol thanks for clarifying that seriesn resells mxroute, definitely will keep it in mind depending on how it goes. I just remembered that since the threshold is this low (Probably after doing a few iterations of the code, I'd probably need about 100 emails per month - I guess if I'm desperate I could use a cPanel account)

@DianTama thanks for the suggestion, it is indeed a great suggestion - I don't want to be dependent on the bigger guys at the moment unless I have no other choice - plus I'd rather help / fund a LET provider who might need it more (even if it's very little?).

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

You can use SparkPost.
    During development: 500 emails per month free.
    Production: 50000 emails per month for $20.

Remember: spam = account suspended.

Thanked by 2risharde Doragon
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited January 2021

@risharde said:
    Hi everyone, I'm in the middle of working on an SMTP class for sending emails out for a new project I'm working on. This isn't a mass sender per say - really part of a system I'm using for people to register within my project to receive their email credentials and / or verification emails to make sure clowns and bots aren't going to be on the system if people decide to use it.

Because it's an absolute startup, it's going to be pretty much me testing while I code so I suspect very low emails the first few months. As hopefully people register, those emails may increase (and I have no vision of whether it could be 10 per month or 1000 per month or 10,000 per month at this point though one would likely see the change as that comes by).

Long story short, I need something cheap at this point but works (minus I do not want to have to set up my own VPS and have to keep eyes on ip blacklisting though that should not happen with my usage - again though, rather have it outsourced so I can focus on the project - this is going to just start off with registration / password reset emails as far as my vision goes so far).

Any provider willing to supply or confirm whether they would be cool with this? Would like the price and what sort of email thresholds are allowed so I'm clear on how I go about this.

I also saw @seriesn offering cheap personal emails as well.

Any others from reputable providers are welcome so I can make a decision. Yearly offers would be great just so I don't have to keep remembering to pay for the service as well.

Thanks for reading and understanding, I know someone is going to call scam / spammer (very funny).

Ahoy. Don’t know what you did to tick Jar jar off.

@300/hour limit, you should be solid here :)

You can give Jarland your money or save pretty penny and share the love with me :). Both works :)

If you don’t need mass mailing, our basic plan is more than plenty. For bigger volume, mailgun is pretty nifty :)

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @risharde said:
    @lentro I hate to be on the end of drama as well especially here lol thanks for clarifying that seriesn resells mxroute, definitely will keep it in mind depending on how it goes. I just remembered that since the threshold is this low (Probably after doing a few iterations of the code, I'd probably need about 100 emails per month - I guess if I'm desperate I could use a cPanel account)

@DianTama thanks for the suggestion, it is indeed a great suggestion - I don't want to be dependent on the bigger guys at the moment unless I have no other choice - plus I'd rather help / fund a LET provider who might need it more (even if it's very little?).

Any reason you specifically want to avoid using SES/other transactional provider? SES particularly has flexible billing which would practically be free at such low volume. And if you're sending via EC2 instance, you get 62,000 free per month.

I'd avoid mailgun, I had some emails get sent into "promotional" for gmail. SES has been very reliable though.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2021

Absolutely not. No beef. Bring chicken.

• BertieBertie Member
    edited January 2021

@xethost has a SMTP server offering:

https://members.xethost.com/store/smtp-service

There's a free tier of 50 emails for testing.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Bertie said: SMTP server offering

The free offer does not provide DKIM signing, so sadly it is useless for anything other than testing.

Thanked by 2risharde Bertie
  • use AWS and be happy.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Thanks guys, I ended up purchasing the BF deal from @jar / MXRoute. I must say, the instructions to get emails going were spot on and I can confirm receiving user registration test emails directly to my gmail which is great! If the system ever grows beyond, I'll consider the other well recommended services. Thank you so much!

Thanked by 2jar seriesn
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@risharde said:
    I ended up purchasing the BF deal from @jar / MXRoute.

Did you receive chicken?

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@risharde said:
    I ended up purchasing the BF deal from @jar / MXRoute.

Did you receive chicken?

I can only keep trying