Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers who allow Tor Exit nodes ... Is it a big headache?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers who allow Tor Exit nodes ... Is it a big headache?

RamblerRambler Member
edited January 2021 in General

Do you have more issues with customers who run these than you do your normal VPS customers?
I assume that their resource usage month to month is pretty consistent and predictable, right? (Shit ton of BW, about 1-2GB of RAM, minimal disk and probably medium-ish CPU use per container?)

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2021

Its consistent. The main thing that we ask for is to know about it beforehand.
    Most of the time its not a big issue.
    And follow the TOS/AUP for tor nodes.

Thanked by 1Bertie
  • Providers who allow Tor exit nodes experience a lot of issues with DMCA complaints. It is best to keep the provider informed about hosting Tor exit nodes, so the provider may know how to handle complaints, like creating automated replies on emails with your IP.

To protect your provider:

• inform them beforehand about your exit node.
    • use Tor Project instructions about reduced exit policy to attempt blocking obvious malicious traffic.
    • configure a Tor exit-node information page over HTTP, to reduce the number of complaints coming towards your provider.
    Thanked by 1RecD
  • user54321user54321 Member
    edited January 2021

@default said:
    Providers who allow Tor exit nodes experience a lot of issues with DMCA complaints. It is best to keep the provider informed about hosting Tor exit nodes, so the provider may know how to handle complaints, like creating automated replies on emails with your IP.

I got 0 DMCA complaints over the last years but thousands of mails about spam and bruteforce attacks, if your provider does forward all that trash to /dev/null because most of that stuff is generated by fail2ban (which than does spam me, which irony) or other trash and only responds to real abuse you don't get much to do.

• I went 'round and 'round with a few providers on this and one was pretty candid, they said that unless you bring your own IP space, it "pollutes" theirs and can cause problems for other customers who share their ASN or are re-assigned that IP space at a later date.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2021

Im also curious.. Tempted to host exit node but afraid with all the abuse that might come from it. How much exactly would I need to pay to the provider to manage any abuse letters that arrive for me, and cover me from any legal troubles lol

especially considering what happened to that one LET user back then. was it @William

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6283/raided-for-running-a-tor-exit-accepting-donations-for-legal-expenses/

• @Rambler said: Do you have more issues with customers who run these than you do your normal VPS customers?

The provider might not have issues but their other customers running legit sites on their VPS/dedi/shared/cloud will have any or all of the following issues frequently:-

• slow connections to their sites because TOR users on their exit nodes (VPS) consuming heavy bandwidth 24/7 blowing 10G or multi 10G connections to their upstream.
    • Frequent DDoS attacks on entire network/IP range
    • Degraded connection, latency, and bandwidth performance.
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

https://community.torproject.org/relay/community-resources/good-bad-isps/

start from there, then build an updated list.

Keep us informed on your progress :)

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Yes, kinda.