Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion for virtualization ( single vps )
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestion for virtualization ( single vps )

Hello,

I wish to run a single KVM VPS over my dedicated server.
What are the possible options ( apart from proxmox ) ?

Please suggest.

Comments

• I’m assuming you mean you want a control panel right? If so Virtualizor is probably the cheapest option out there for a single server and VM.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • @WSCallum said:
    I’m assuming you mean you want a control panel right? If so Virtualizor is probably the cheapest option out there for a single server and VM.

Yes. control panel to mange a single large VPS over the physical server.

• @Mridul said:

@WSCallum said:
    I’m assuming you mean you want a control panel right? If so Virtualizor is probably the cheapest option out there for a single server and VM.

Yes. control panel to mange a single large VPS over the physical server.

Yeah i’d go Virtualizor, Solus.io is much more expensive, solusvm is no longer updated other than for security and quite frankly as the days go by we get nearer and nearer to the inevitable announcement that solusvm is being discontinued and everyone is to be forced to solus.io... that’ll be a very interesting day indeed.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2021
    Thanked by 2Mridul Erisa
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@WSCallum said:
    solusvm is no longer updated other than for security and quite frankly as the days go by we get nearer and nearer to the inevitable announcement that solusvm is being discontinued and everyone is to be forced to solus.io... that’ll be a very interesting day indeed.

I hate the crummy Virtualizor:

• ISO doesn't work at half of the providers.
    • Incomplete information about IP address: missing subnet and gateway information.
    • Unclear graphs about bandwidth usage: only monthly graph, no hourly graph.

SolusIO is not ready for production. I found 6+ bugs in a few hours of an invited SolusIO trial:

• Errors during VM creation and deletion.
    • Duplicate IP assigned to two VMs.
    • Occasionally the network speed drops to 10 KB/s range.
    • No IPv6 assignment feature - only a single address.
    • Realtime graph has missing values.
    • Billing inaccuracies when the VM is resized.

Someone needs to start a Change.org petition to keep Solus VM - the clean and easy to use control panel (except that Virmach hides the username which hinders usability).

• @yoursunny said:

@WSCallum said:
    solusvm is no longer updated other than for security and quite frankly as the days go by we get nearer and nearer to the inevitable announcement that solusvm is being discontinued and everyone is to be forced to solus.io... that’ll be a very interesting day indeed.

I hate the crummy Virtualizor:

• ISO doesn't work at half of the providers.
    • Incomplete information about IP address: missing subnet and gateway information.
    • Unclear graphs about bandwidth usage: only monthly graph, no hourly graph.

SolusIO is not ready for production. I found 6+ bugs in a few hours of an invited SolusIO trial:

• Errors during VM creation and deletion.
    • Duplicate IP assigned to two VMs.
    • Occasionally the network speed drops to 10 KB/s range.
    • No IPv6 assignment feature - only a single address.
    • Realtime graph has missing values.
    • Billing inaccuracies when the VM is resized.

Someone needs to start a Change.org petition to keep Solus VM - the clean and easy to use control panel (except that Virmach hides the username which hinders usability).

SolusIO was released long before being ready I agree; but this also realistically backs the reality that they want to get SolusIO out there and replace SolusVM asap, it's going to happen and it's going to be one hell of a shit show for a load of providers, a great portion of which are from round these parts.

• Plesk is behind SolusIO, so it worth waiting until we see a complete platform.

• I’d vouch for ESXi. If you want to have something near native, great 3D acceleration and other goodies, this is an absolute recommandation. I use it for years for private use. Much better than Proxmox.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited January 2021

libvirt works well for virtual machines as part of an existing dedicated server. Other suggestions assume the dedicated server will only be used to run this VPS, which I guess isn’t the case?

Sounds like you want a control panel as well, in which case virt-manager over ssh x11 forwarding

• If you want to get a cheaper control panel license, why pay to create a single VPS? Instead, use a free one like libvirt or vagrant.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2021

@yoursunny said: ISO doesn't work at half of the providers.

what exactly issue have you experienced?

@yoursunny said:
    Incomplete information about IP address: missing subnet and gateway information.

all info depends on DC, example: OVH is different to hetzner DC

• @Mridul said:
    Hello,

I wish to run a single KVM VPS over my dedicated server.
    What are the possible options ( apart from proxmox ) ?

Please suggest.

+1 for virtualizor

@WebProject said:

@yoursunny said: ISO doesn't work at half of the providers.

what exactly issue have you experienced?

Virtualizor has a button to mount ISO, but the VM would not boot from ISO.
    I ensured that (1) boot order is CDROM first (2) VM is powered off and then powered on, not merely rebooted.

@yoursunny said:
    Incomplete information about IP address: missing subnet and gateway information.

all info depends on DC, example: OVH is different to hetzner DC

SolusVM has a popup showing the subnet and gateway, but Virtualizor doesn't have that.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said: Virtualizor has a button to mount ISO, but the VM would not boot from ISO.

What was the ISO? Normal OS media or custom ISO? Just curious as I might try it if it's standard OS media.

@yoursunny said: SolusVM has a popup showing the subnet and gateway, but Virtualizor doesn't have that.

Yeah that's be a handy thing for it to show, especially for people who are doing custom installs.

@Mr_Tom said:

@yoursunny said: Virtualizor has a button to mount ISO, but the VM would not boot from ISO.

What was the ISO? Normal OS media or custom ISO? Just curious as I might try it if it's standard OS media.

It's "Admin ISO", Ubuntu 18 server. The provider is Evolution Host.

But they have iPXE in boot menu so I get around it with netboot.xyz.