Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ModulesGarden WHMCS DigitalOcean module
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ModulesGarden WHMCS DigitalOcean module

edited January 2021 in General

Anyone have an opinion on it? For $150/yr my expectations are quite high. That's approx. the same cost as WHMCS itself.

Comments

• according to @cociu they are 🗑️

Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • You have the answer...

• @SirFoxy said:
    according to @cociu they are 🗑️

Is there a specific conversation you are referring to? I looked through their post history and could not find anything.

• @LosPollosHermanos said:

@SirFoxy said:
    according to @cociu they are 🗑️

Is there a specific conversation you are referring to? I looked through their post history and could not find anything.

not sure a while back maybe a year he said they were garbagio tho

• There must be opensource version of modules (more expensive).

• edited January 2021

Yes there is an open source version for a lot more money.

• @SirFoxy said: according to @cociu they are

is 100 x better than others but ... but.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Would take this over modulesgarden: https://hostbillapp.com/feature/digitalocean-overview/

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We use their directadmin license module and it's decent enough, code is decent quality too.

No idea on the others, but I know their Proxmox module is....complex.

Francisco

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Each of their modules are works perfectly fine..
    Some of them are complicated to install but if you do it properly then it will definitely work..

The only problem they have is their support.. You can't expect fast reply.. They only reply once per ticket per day.. means only one reply to your ticket within 24 hours..

• edited January 2021

@ViridWeb said:

The only problem they have is their support.. You can't expect fast reply.. They only reply once per ticket per day.. means only one reply to your ticket within 24 hours..

WHMCS does exactly the same thing. Only one reply (which often takes 24 hours) and usually no repeats until at least 24 hours later.

• jonathanspwjonathanspw Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

@Francisco said:
    We use their directadmin license module and it's decent enough, code is decent quality too.

No idea on the others, but I know their Proxmox module is....complex.

Francisco

Either you have extremely low standards, or their code quality has improved in the past few years. Perhaps it varies greatly between modules.

When I last looked at the source of one of their modules (OpenStack) it was hideous, bug-laden, and full of security issues. This was ~3 years ago or so I guess.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jonathanspw said: Either you have extremely low standards, or their code quality has improved in the past few years. Perhaps it varies greatly between modules.

the directadmin module is pretty simple and it's pretty clean. all moved to classes and the likes.

I never touched their VPS stuff, code wise, but the UI side inside of WHMCS was a nightmare. I tried to help a host with their proxmox setup and it made my head hurt.

Francisco

• @jonathanspw said:
    Either you have extremely low standards, or their code quality has improved in the past few years. Perhaps it varies greatly between modules.

When I last looked at the source of one of their modules (OpenStack) it was hideous, bug-laden, and full of security issues. This was ~3 years ago or so I guess.

It varies greatly between modules and there definitely isn't a consistent coding style used either. I suspect some of it has to do with the evolving ecosystem of WHMCS and little incentive to rewrite the older modules. Other cases though it just looks like there is no standardization from their side so each developer is free to solve the same problems differently.

• edited January 2021

@TonyB said:

@jonathanspw said:

It varies greatly between modules and there definitely isn't a consistent coding style used either. I suspect some of it has to do with the evolving ecosystem of WHMCS and little incentive to rewrite the older modules. Other cases though it just looks like there is no standardization from their side so each developer is free to solve the same problems differently.

Yes, that is what I am trying to figure out before I buy this module. You get the software for free for 7 days so just looking at the files and folders of this module in particular, it looks a lot more developed than the Vultr module they did a few years ago. Lots more abstract classes and other object-oriented structure. I can't look at the actual coding because it's all obfuscated so no way to tell if it's still garbage or if they have cleaned it up.

• edited January 2021

So after evaluating the ModulesGarden module it seems to be work for what I need. I get the feeling the code quality has improved from what it was a few years ago since they switched to the annual license model. The plain text templates look fairly clean. I also looked at a module they developed for another provider (UpCloud) that is open source on github and looks to be possibly derived from the same code and it looks pretty clean. Night and day to the Vultr module they did several years ago which is absolute garbage.