Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jetbackup Cheap Alternative ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Jetbackup Cheap Alternative ?

Hi,
I have a few VPS servers and want to have auto backup to OVH Storage or SFTP / FTP ...
I found Jetbackup but, as I say i have few servers so i will need to pay for many licenses and its cost 5.95$ per server !
Any cheap/easy alternative ?

Comments

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Rsync.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

You can check out rsnapshot too... it relies on rsync but provides a bit more options than plain rsync.

• If you think JetBackup is expensive vs value of backups, i’m lost for words.

The vast majority of backup software are within the same price range so take your pick of the few. Free alternatives mean using the likes of rsync, but you need get it all setup and configured manually.

Thanked by 3ViridWeb icry coreflux
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

We can provide affordable Acronis Licenses. It integrates with cPanel similar to Jetbackup and also has bare metal restore capabilities.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

BorgBackup is free alternative if you can spend 2 days learning it.

• adilolvadilolv Member
    edited July 2020

@leapswitch said: We can provide affordable Acronis Licenses. It integrates with cPanel similar to Jetbackup and also has bare metal restore capabilities.

Thanks, I send you in PM.

• Got to agree with rsync / rsnapshot.

Sometimes simple is good 🙂

• @leapswitch said: We can provide affordable Acronis Licenses. It integrates with cPanel similar to Jetbackup and also has bare metal restore capabilities.

>

i try to contact you using the form on your website, i got an error

• @leapswitch said:
    We can provide affordable Acronis Licenses. It integrates with cPanel similar to Jetbackup and also has bare metal restore capabilities.

If Available for directadmin also ? Please PM. Thanks

• +1 for rsync - it's not difficult to learn, nor is cron.

• @leapswitch said:

What is the dc location for the Data plan?

• Acronis is probably best and safest for now. But if you want free use Rsync thought it may take longer in the backup process. Maybe look at the frequency and the size of backups and how long each would take also ensure networking is not your bottleneck. If you require daily backups and you have large VPS servers you may require a faster backup system.

@cazrz said:

@leapswitch said:

We have Pune/Mumbai India , Frankfurt DE , Los Angeles USA.

@dnlx said:

@leapswitch said: We can provide affordable Acronis Licenses. It integrates with cPanel similar to Jetbackup and also has bare metal restore capabilities.

>

i try to contact you using the form on your website, i got an error

Thank you for reporting. We will get it fixed immediately.

@indiankesh said:

@leapswitch said:

If Available for directadmin also ? Please PM. Thanks

Acronis doesn't have control panel integration for DirectAdmin as of now.

• @leapswitch said:

@cazrz said:

@leapswitch said:

That's great then! Is Frankfurt and LA available already?

@cazrz said:

@leapswitch said:

@cazrz said:

@leapswitch said:

That's great then! Is Frankfurt and LA available already?

Yes

• Does the Acronis solution work similar to R1Soft? For example, you buy licenses for each agent, and then install the server component on another system to manage it? Or is there separate licensing for the server?

• agomezagomez Member, Host Rep

@aj_potc said:
    Does the Acronis solution work similar to R1Soft? For example, you buy licenses for each agent, and then install the server component on another system to manage it? Or is there separate licensing for the server?

I am also interested :):

• lyb9blyb9b Member
    edited January 2021

@aj_potc said:
    Does the Acronis solution work similar to R1Soft? For example, you buy licenses for each agent, and then install the server component on another system to manage it? Or is there separate licensing for the server?

In Acronis Cyber Backup you have cloud-hosted panel (on Acronis infra, in R1soft you can host panel on own server) when you can create users, add storage and agents.

Example login panel: https://us5-cloud.acronis.com/bc

Here is live screenshot of admin / user view: https://i.imgur.com/x9J1JxS.png

When adding server (Windows or Linux) you need install agent on server side and register in Acronis panel.

From my experience with Acronis and R1Soft you should have 2 different backup solution - for example one commercial without open source code (Acronis, R1soft) and 2nd open source solution like rsync / borgbackup. Sometimes when I got errors in Acronis/R1Soft only they support know how fix it - and support is very slow in big companies.

• @lyb9b said:
    In Acronis Cyber Backup you have cloud-hosted panel (on Acronis infra, in R1soft you can host panel on own server) when you can create users, add storage and agents.

Example login panel: https://us5-cloud.acronis.com/bc

Here is live screenshot of admin / user view: https://i.imgur.com/x9J1JxS.png

When adding server (Windows or Linux) you need install agent on server side and register in Acronis panel.

Thanks very much for the information. I'm familiar with R1Soft, so any comparison to that is very helpful. I'm confused about the difference between their offerings, and their site wasn't much help.

Are you using the version of the service where Acronis is the backup destination, or can you use your own servers for that? In other words, does Acronis only host the panel, and you're free to attach your various clients and backup repositories?

Also, do you need licensing only for the clients, or also for backup destinations?

From my experience with Acronis and R1Soft you should have 2 different backup solution - for example one commercial without open source code (Acronis, R1soft) and 2nd open source solution like rsync / borgbackup. Sometimes when I got errors in Acronis/R1Soft only they support know how fix it - and support is very slow in big companies.

I completely agree, and this is a recommendation I make to anyone who asks. Always use multiple backup methods with different software and independent destinations.

• lyb9blyb9b Member
    edited January 2021

I have option called legacy now and its my own storage server hosted in Hetzner where I installed Acronis abgw gateway and added to their Cloud interface as remote backup storage (backup encrypted, you can enable encrypt when adding backup policy)

You can have multiple remote storage servers

I have licensing per agent, each server (no difference that KVM, baremetal) = agent

• @lyb9b said:
    I have option called legacy now and its my own storage server hosted in Hetzner where I installed Acronis abgw gateway and added to their Cloud interface as remote backup storage (backup encrypted, you can enable encrypt when adding backup policy)

I have licensing per agent, each server (no difference that KVM, baremetal) = agent

Thanks, so it sounds similar to R1Soft regarding licensing. It's just that the console is hosted by Acronis.

How would you rate the block-based backups when compared to R1Soft? Does Acronis use a kernel module to handle this, and is it friendly on resources?

Any experience with bare metal restores or P2V conversions?

Thanks again!

• rcy026rcy026 Member
    edited January 2021

@aj_potc said:

@lyb9b said:

Thanks, so it sounds similar to R1Soft regarding licensing. It's just that the console is hosted by Acronis.

How would you rate the block-based backups when compared to R1Soft? Does Acronis use a kernel module to handle this, and is it friendly on resources?

Thanks again!

Acronis was among the first with P2V conversions, so it is very stable.
    Same with bare metal, the Acronis "universal restore" that allowed you to backup from one hardware and restore on a completely different hardware was among the first to hit the market with that kind of functionality.
    I've moved everything, even old NT4 installations on old Pentiums, to virtual machines in both hyper-v and vmware using Acronis and very rarely had any kind of problems. Depending on license, they even have features like backing up a physical machine to a standby virtual, or spinning up a vm directly from the backup archive, even if it's in Acronis cloud.

Thanked by 1aj_potc
  • lyb9blyb9b Member
    edited January 2021

@aj_potc said:

@lyb9b said:

Thanks again!

Yesterday I ran image backup of Windows Server hosted in cheap VPS company and restored using ISO 1:1 copy in Hetzner Cloud (I asked Hetzner support for add acronis boot iso to my inventory), everything ok

But.. similar to r1soft datastore getting slower and slower if size bigger and bigger..

Thanked by 1aj_potc