Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reselling Lightsail - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reselling Lightsail

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LosPollosHermanos said: It's a VPS that boots from block storage which is an important difference when compared to something like DO/Vultr.

You are really obsessed with this. You're willing to sacrifice a lot of performance, discount use of Kubernetes, etc. all for the magic of booting from block storage.

So what if you can? A boot volume is just a boot volume. Your app, DB, etc. can still be on block storage with other providers. So the only thing you get from Lightsail (assuming this is true) is you can have your OS volume on block storage.

You wouldn't want to have only one node for a true HA environment regardless - you'd have multiple nodes and replicate between them (as one example of an HA strategory). So if one goes down, it shouldn't bother you. Hence, having your boot volume on block storage is not really buying you anything.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @cazrz said:
    IIRC isnt that in lightsail you can only have a total of 20 instances and 5 static IPs.

Those limits are the default ones, and that too only per region.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited January 2021

What is with the obsession with boot volume on block storage here? I don't really see how it matters for anything, nevermind be a positive point.

And it isn't magically exclusive to Lightsail either, Normal AWS itself has that feature for well, almost all of its instance types.
    "EBS"(Elastic Block Store) in AWS land refers to their brand of block storage, and is the only boot volume type for all these instances:

The instances that do have a separate "instance store" with physically attached disks have predefined disk shapes, similar to your traditional VPS or Dedi: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/InstanceStorage.html

This is reinforced when you're creating the instance disk and are asked to give a size for the block volume you're assigning:

More related to the topic at hand, why would you even want to resell Lightsail? It's cheap but so are lots of other clouds that are probably far more suited to reselling. Lightsail is designed to be user-friendly, if someone wants to use it then I'm sure they can manage that themselves?

The only exception I can think of is if your business model is about management - where you would buy the Lightsail instance on their behalf and completely manage its usage for them.
    And if this is the case, none of these questions about suitability are really relevant, you should already have a close relationship with your customer and can work with them to find the cloud that suits them best.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • edited January 2021

@Erisa said:
    What is with the obsession with boot volume on block storage here? I don't really see how it matters for anything, nevermind be a positive point.

Not sure who you are talking to. There is one person here who tends to express strong opinions and likes to derail a lot of threads. My bad for even responding to them.

Read my original question if you have anything further to say and ignore the rest of the noise. Yes, many things AWS does revolves around block storage. I believe it's the same with Google and Azure cloud services as well. Hence the reason I am asking the question. I'm not looking to debate the pro's and cons of block storage.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LosPollosHermanos said: There is one person here who tends to express strong opinions and likes to derail a lot of threads. My bad for even responding to them.

In the words of Pitbull, I am a bad man.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @LosPollosHermanos said: Not sure who you are talking to.

You.

@LosPollosHermanos said: Read my original question if you have anything further to say and ignore the rest of the noise. Yes, many things AWS does revolves around block storage. I believe it's the same with Google and Azure cloud services as well. Hence the reason I am asking the question. I'm not looking to debate the pro's and cons of block storage.

I read it. You mention "The main thing is that I want to boot from block storage, not local storage like what DigitalOcean does." and my question is why? If that's not something that's within the scope of the topic you want to discuss then alright but it makes it hard to recommend something when your requirement is one that I don't understand in the slightest.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2021

I got some shitcoins I can sell you if you'd like to piss away your money?

Francisco

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • edited January 2021

@Francisco said:
    I got some shitcoins I can sell you if you'd like to piss away your money?

Francisco

Why is it you and that other person always show up on the same threads trying to derail things and always seem to be defending each other? Looking at your businesses I'm guessing you feel threatened by services like LightSail even though you will probably never admit it.

• edited January 2021

@Erisa said:

...your requirement is one that I don't understand in the slightest.

Apparently not. Pretty common and (I thought) well understood but maybe not here in low end land since it's typically a more expensive way to go. LightSail is one of the few block storage products I have found that is cost-competitive with more traditional VPS with local storage. I guess some people around here feel threatened by that which is not my problem.

@LosPollosHermanos said: Why is it you and that other person always show up on the same threads trying to derail things and always seem to be defending each other?

Defending who? I'm half memeing, half warning you that you'll lose your shirt.

Francisco

Thanked by 2lokuzard lukehebb
  • edited January 2021

@Francisco said:

@LosPollosHermanos said: Why is it you and that other person always show up on the same threads trying to derail things and always seem to be defending each other?

Defending who? I'm half memeing, half warning you that you'll lose your shirt.

Francisco

B) You don't even know what I do. My requirements are different from most others.

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    Actually, I am looking at reselling DO now because LightSail ToS seems a little questionable for reselling. So you can start trying to throw rocks at that idea now because that seems to be your MO. B)

You don't even know what I do so you would make a horrible consultant with that kind of advice. Better stick to selling low budget wordpress servers.

Lots of people resell DO/Vultr, they're both far more welcome to the idea.

Vultr even has/had a pretty nice WHMCS module for it.

Francsico

• edited January 2021

@Francisco said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    Actually, I am looking at reselling DO now because LightSail ToS seems a little questionable for reselling. So you can start trying to throw rocks at that idea now because that seems to be your MO. B)

You don't even know what I do so you would make a horrible consultant with that kind of advice. Better stick to selling low budget wordpress servers.

Lots of people resell DO/Vultr, they're both far more welcome to the idea.

Vultr even has/had a pretty nice WHMCS module for it.

Francsico

I have actually totally re-written that Vultr module. The code was horribly written when I last looked at it a few years ago. However, after I did that I soured on the idea of using Vultr so I never did do anything with it. I'll have to revisit it to see if it has gotten any better now that it is community driven.

@LosPollosHermanos said: That is what I am finding now yes. I have actually totally re-written that vultr module as the code was horribly written when I last looked at it a few years ago. Maybe it's better now.

I don't think it's maintained anymore, at least that's what the github said?

Francisco

• edited January 2021

Thanks for the help guys. I think some of you have managed to convince me that I should drop the idea of reselling block storage VPS services and go with something like DO/Vultr with local storage. Using snapshots, backups, and floating IP's should take care of any disaster scenarios that block storage would have helped protect me from.

Someone here correctly pointed out that companies like DO/Vultr are more open to reselling in general with no strings attached, which is a very important consideration for me, so that pretty much convinced me.

For my own production servers I will still be using a true cloud service like Google Cloud Compute or AWS, but for reselling it's going to be DO/Vultr

Thanked by 1Erisa