Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me find the hosting provider that fits me best
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help me find the hosting provider that fits me best

mirocmiroc Member
edited December 2020 in Help

Hello everyone,

I am planning on switching hosting providers, as I am not quite satisfied with the quality the current one. My VPS is down every 5-6 hours because "a neighbour VPS gets ddosed" and I am quite fed up with this as they have been unable to resolve this despite them claiming.

I would like to run a tf2 server, a csgo server (neither of these are popular nor would get loads of players) and two minecraft servers with the maximum slot of 20. Now 4 cores and 8gigs of ram has been doing well for me, in peak hours the servers only use around 5GB of ram.

However, none of the options I've considered seem to fit my needs which is:

• At least 2 vCPU
  • 4-8GB of ram
  • 50GB of storage
  • EU location
  • At least minimal ddos protection.
  • under 12euros vat included.

When looking through my options I considered the following hosts, as these are the names I am the most familiar with:

Contabo: I've mostly seen bad reviews about them, especially concerning their hidden fees, non-existant tech support team and awfully oversold cpus with limited ssd speed. The oversold cpu concerns me the most, because 6 cores sound really good but if 50% of it is stolen then it's all worthless. On the other hand does it even matter for a server that has around 20-25 players?

OVH: Non-existant support, too pricey for 2vcpu and 4gb of ram.

Hetzner: I have rented a vps from them in the past and after an hour of running it got ddosed so I had to ask for a refund. Not sure about how things are now.

Netcup: Their billing and cancellation stuff seems a bit sketchy to me. The VPS prices seem good but the ToS prohibits extensive CPU usage (which the two mc server would very much breach) and I need to sign a contract period of at least 12 months..

Hostika: Quite cheap lithuanian host, Shared 100mbps per node really concerns me, but the prices are at least managable and they provide a promo code to get 50% off of my first pay.

Do you know about any hosting providers who you think would fit my needs and you had a positive experience with? Or which one should I choose from these options?

I know that there are several offers on this, but I am trying to find a legitimate service provider, not some sketchy deals.

Thank you.

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited December 2020

ExtraVM.

(edit) Might not fit your budget but recommended if you're hosting games.

• @thedp said:
    ExtraVM.

(edit) Might not fit your budget but recommended if you're hosting games.

Thank you, I looked into it. It does in fact not fit my budget, unfortunately. :/

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited December 2020

Maybe @seriesn (NexusBytes) can help you.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited December 2020

@thedp said:
    Maybe @seriesn (NexusBytes) can help you.

Thanks for the mention bro but budget is way too tight :( and we aren’t about the public gameserver life :(

• Check out kts24.com, you should find something good for yourself :)

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Your budget is indeed a bit tough. But if you are happy with OVH network, you may PM me for a custom plan. I do have limited ressources available in their Limburg DC (1ms from Frankfurt).

• @dfroe said:
    Your budget is indeed a bit tough. But if you are happy with OVH network, you may PM me for a custom plan. I do have limited ressources available in their Limburg DC (1ms from Frankfurt).

He doesn't like OVH support or pricing, plus doesn't OVH suffer from internal DoS attacks that they don't do anything about?

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2020

@TimboJones said:
    He doesn't like OVH support or pricing, plus doesn't OVH suffer from internal DoS attacks that they don't do anything about?

Well, support and pricing may vary in some cases if you are considering a provider offering services on rented OVH gear. It may be more cost-efficient, better support regarding the vps service, but experience may also be vice versa, sure.

Lacking DDoS protection within OVH network might be a point worth noticing (if OP is suffering from internal DDoS). I have heard about this, but am unaware where exactly OVH VACs are sitting, on the edge of each datacenter or only towards the outside of the whole OVH backbone.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

For that price i think PHP-FRIENDS can do it. However don't know if they provide gameservers.

You can contact them directly

Good luck

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

If your server being taken down briefly due to DDoS on other VPS clients on the system is an issue, you need a dedicated server really. There is no way to avoid this as a host unless you have access to really great DDoS filtering (which isn't possible with VPS at your budget) or the host is connected at like 40G, which might be possible at your budget but not with DDoS protection.

@dfroe said:
    but am unaware where exactly OVH VACs are sitting, on the edge of each datacenter or only towards the outside of the whole OVH backbone.

VAC only filters traffic from outside their global network. So an OVH server in Australia can take down an OVH server in Canada with a DoS.

Thanked by 1dfroe
  • @miroc said:
    Hello everyone,

I am planning on switching hosting providers, as I am not quite satisfied with the quality the current one. My VPS is down every 5-6 hours because "a neighbour VPS gets ddosed" and I am quite fed up with this as they have been unable to resolve this despite them claiming.

I would like to run a tf2 server, a csgo server (neither of these are popular nor would get loads of players) and two minecraft servers with the maximum slot of 20. Now 4 cores and 8gigs of ram has been doing well for me, in peak hours the servers only use around 5GB of ram.

However, none of the options I've considered seem to fit my needs which is:

• At least 2 vCPU
    • 4-8GB of ram
    • 50GB of storage
    • EU location
    • At least minimal ddos protection.
    • under 12euros vat included.

When looking through my options I considered the following hosts, as these are the names I am the most familiar with:

Contabo: I've mostly seen bad reviews about them, especially concerning their hidden fees, non-existant tech support team and awfully oversold cpus with limited ssd speed. The oversold cpu concerns me the most, because 6 cores sound really good but if 50% of it is stolen then it's all worthless. On the other hand does it even matter for a server that has around 20-25 players?

OVH: Non-existant support, too pricey for 2vcpu and 4gb of ram.

Hetzner: I have rented a vps from them in the past and after an hour of running it got ddosed so I had to ask for a refund. Not sure about how things are now.

Netcup: Their billing and cancellation stuff seems a bit sketchy to me. The VPS prices seem good but the ToS prohibits extensive CPU usage (which the two mc server would very much breach) and I need to sign a contract period of at least 12 months..

Hostika: Quite cheap lithuanian host, Shared 100mbps per node really concerns me, but the prices are at least managable and they provide a promo code to get 50% off of my first pay.

Do you know about any hosting providers who you think would fit my needs and you had a positive experience with? Or which one should I choose from these options?

I know that there are several offers on this, but I am trying to find a legitimate service provider, not some sketchy deals.

Thank you.

I think TheStack is good for you. They are running for VPS server just go through it

• Neil-SFNeil-SF Member, Host Rep

You might want to check our VPS offers with 100Gbps included anti-ddos and UK location.
    KVM: https://sonicfast.io/vps-kvm.php
    OpenVZ 7: https://sonicfast.io/vps-ovz.php

• I will recommend going for TheStack. Right now they are providing New Year OFFER as well for VPS Server Hosting. Use this coupon code to avail the discount: NEWYEAROFFER25. Website: thestack.net

• I would most def. go with nfoservers. Their ddos protection and support is great.

If you do annual billing it's $18.99 and you don't pay VAT if you're from EU. So after EUR/USD conversion it will be like EUR 15.

• Thank you all for the recommendations.

I have already decided to go with Contabo. Sure it has it's quirks, but the support is amazing and for 5 euros a month 27% VAT included, I can't complain.:)

My game servers have never been a victim of ddos attack.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited January 2021

If 4GB RAM suits we can do it in budget:
    4GB RAM, 80GB SSD, 4 Cores (AMD EPYC 7302P 3.0GHz) - This would come in at €10.50 per month hosted in AMS, NL. ORDER LINK

If you can stretch the budget a little more the 6GB RAM package comes in at €16.13 per month.

• @miroc said:
    Thank you all for the recommendations.

I have already decided to go with Contabo. Sure it has it's quirks, but the support is amazing and for 5 euros a month 27% VAT included, I can't complain.:)

You mean not yet ;)

• @marvel said:

@miroc said:
    Thank you all for the recommendations.

You mean not yet ;)

I mean during the 2 years I have been hosting game servers.:)