Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Host a Website in Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to Host a Website in Oracle Cloud Free Tier

2»

Comments

• @daffy said:
    Hint hint, if you use Oracle Linux you actually get the full 480Mbit (or whatever) they promise, even though I get why that's a hard sell for some...

I tried both OL7.9 and 8.0, and both were capped at 48Mbps :( Any hints please?

• a bit out of topic. how long they review new account request? I try to register, and they send me email saying that they need to review my request/registration.

• @sanvit said:

@daffy said:
    Hint hint, if you use Oracle Linux you actually get the full 480Mbit (or whatever) they promise, even though I get why that's a hard sell for some...

I tried both OL7.9 and 8.0, and both were capped at 48Mbps :( Any hints please?

Sorry, don't know why this happened. Maybe I was just lucky at the time?
    Now my one instance is running Ubuntu and apparently they are out of resources in Frankfurt at the moment.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @fazar said:
    a bit out of topic. how long they review new account request? I try to register, and they send me email saying that they need to review my request/registration.

Me registration 30 Des 13.29 and provisioned 31 Des 02.30, so around (~13 Hour).
    But maybe depends.

It's my second request. My first request not reply.

• @youandri said:
    Me registration 30 Des 13.29 and provisioned 31 Des 02.30, so around (~13 Hour).
    But maybe depends.

It's my second request. My first request not reply.

I register yesterday. good to know that we can reapply for request. thank you for your information. 👍

• @Chocoweb said:
    I still prefer Debian because the Ubuntu image isn't snappy enough for me, even it's "minimal".

I just figured out how to completely reinstall a free Oracle VM from Ubuntu to Debian 10 Buster with GRUB-booted Debian Network Installer. Here's the script: https://github.com/bohanyang/debi

Although the feature is done, it's still not properly documented yet.

Have you been able to install Debian to this free host? I tried with --preset cloud option, everything seems fine but it does not boot into debian installer when I use VNC console to restart the VM. In fact, the GRUB boot menu does not appear and the default Ubuntu is loaded instread. I managed to play with it successfully but wonder if there is any straightforward way to play with it.

• In case anyone is interested, here's YABS in Ashburn, VA running Debian 10, GB5 failed to run so GB4 instead. Not too bad for 2 free idling boxes. Will install netdata to both so that they can monitor each other :joy:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Fri 01 Jan 2021 09:09:09 PM UTC

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7551 32-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 1996.250 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 983.0 MiB
    Swap       : 2.0 GiB
    Disk       : 45.6 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 6.04 MB/s     (1.5k) | 26.17 MB/s     (408)
    Write      | 6.03 MB/s     (1.5k) | 26.62 MB/s     (415)
    Total      | 12.07 MB/s    (3.0k) | 52.79 MB/s     (823)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 24.54 MB/s      (47) | 23.81 MB/s      (23)
    Write      | 25.92 MB/s      (50) | 26.56 MB/s      (25)
    Total      | 50.47 MB/s      (97) | 50.38 MB/s      (48)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 47.9 Mbits/sec  | 48.1 Mbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 48.3 Mbits/sec  | 48.0 Mbits/sec 
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | busy           
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 43.8 Mbits/sec  | 30.2 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 50.6 Mbits/sec  | 50.0 Mbits/sec 
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 49.2 Mbits/sec  | 49.5 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | busy           
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 46.8 Mbits/sec  | 47.1 Mbits/sec 

Geekbench 4 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 2700                          
    Multi Core      | 2176                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15969366

• ChocowebChocoweb Member
    edited January 2021

@orion504 said:

@Chocoweb said:
    I still prefer Debian because the Ubuntu image isn't snappy enough for me, even it's "minimal".

I just figured out how to completely reinstall a free Oracle VM from Ubuntu to Debian 10 Buster with GRUB-booted Debian Network Installer. Here's the script: https://github.com/bohanyang/debi

Although the feature is done, it's still not properly documented yet.

Have you been able to install Debian to this free host? I tried with --preset cloud option, everything seems fine but it does not boot into debian installer when I use VNC console to restart the VM. In fact, the GRUB boot menu does not appear and the default Ubuntu is loaded instread. I managed to play with it successfully but wonder if there is any straightforward way to play with it.

Sorry, the script won't touch the /etc/default/grub and /etc/default/grub.d.
    Please change them manually. Thus, the script is actually something "semi-automatic".

Please try again with these steps. It's a little bit LONG but I believe it'll work:
    1. Change GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to GRUB_DEFAULT=debi in /etc/default/grub
    2. Optionally delete all lines containing "hidden/HIDDEN" and increase the GRUB_TIMEOUT to 5 or 10, which gives you some chance to enter Ubuntu again under VNC.
    3. Remove or move directory /etc/default/grub.d where settings will overwrite /etc/default/grub
    4. Run the script with --preset cloud --force-efi-extra-removable and it'll prompt you the NEW password of "sudo" user "debian". Or just specify it with --password 123456. Or change the username with --user root or --user foobar. You can also setup SSH pub key login with e.g. --authorized-keys-url https://github.com/bohanyang.keys (where "bohanyang" is your GitHub username). Note that you'll also have to use HTTPS for APT mirror (cloud preset already set to HTTPS) if you use HTTPS here for the keys.
    5. Reboot and wait. In the meantime, allow ICMP in Oracle firewall to ping the IP. After the IP goes up, AND if you specified --authorized-keys-url OR --installer-password 123456, you can monitor the installation status with SSH (user installer) Alt+4

If you changed /etc/default/grub again, remember to run the script again.
    Remember to add --force-efi-extra-removable, otherwise the new system won't boot automatically. (But you actually don't need to add the --firmware)

I've been developing the script since 2018. If there's any problem, PM me or open an issue. Good luck.

• Thanks, I did a different way though, not with --force-efi-extra-removable, but using startup.nsh. Anyway your guideline will be useful for others.

Thanked by 1Chocoweb
  • @orion504 said:
    In case anyone is interested, here's YABS in Ashburn, VA running Debian 10, GB5 failed to run so GB4 instead. Not too bad for 2 free idling boxes. Will install netdata to both so that they can monitor each other :joy:

Add 1GB swap for GB5
    My result: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5671154

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

how do I internally within ubuntu configure my public ipv4 (permanently) it only assigns it the private IP addresses. I wanna do some tests on some control panels, but many of them will just take the private 10.0.0.48 address as a public address. I know I need to modify some files, btw I'm using the ubuntu 20.04 (normal, not minimal) latest build template from oracle. Let's say my IP is 1.1.1.1

• @skorupion I don't think you can do that. I'm not familiar with Oracle Cloud but usually the public IP is mapped to the internal IP by the virtual network and the VM doesn't know about the public IP.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Kassem said:
    @skorupion I don't think you can do that. I'm not familiar with Oracle Cloud but usually the public IP is mapped to the internal IP by the virtual network and the VM doesn't know about the public IP.

You can, I just need to make the change permanent so far I've been able to do it temporary by ifconfig command

• Sorry for necro. @yoursunny were you able to figure out how to use ipv6 on Ubuntu instances?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 2022

@dosai said:
    Sorry for necro. @yoursunny were you able to figure out how to use ipv6 on Ubuntu instances?

IPv6 was introduced after this article was published.
    After adding IPv6 on Cloud Console, it will show up in the instance automatically.
    You also need to add firewall rules for both inbound and outbound IPv6.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @yoursunny said:

@dosai said:
    Sorry for necro. @yoursunny were you able to figure out how to use ipv6 on Ubuntu instances?

After adding IPv6 on Cloud Console, it will show up in the instance automatically.

I set it up based on https://blog.51sec.org/2021/09/enable-ipv6-on-oracle-cloud.html but for Ubuntu ipv6 was not automatically fetched ip a. Rebooting didn't help as well.

@dosai said:

@yoursunny said:

@dosai said:

I set it up based on https://blog.51sec.org/2021/09/enable-ipv6-on-oracle-cloud.html but for Ubuntu ipv6 was not automatically fetched ip a. Rebooting didn't help as well.

If you have issues with a third party tutorial, ask the author of that tutorial.
    I did mostly the same steps and IPv6 showed up in Ubuntu 20.04 instance.

If you want me to write a tutorial on this topic, send me some 🥭 and it'll happen sometime.

• @yoursunny said: If you want me to write a tutorial on this topic, send me some 🥭 and it'll happen sometime.

How do we send you 🥭?

Thanked by 1yoursunny

Oracle Cloud now supports IPv6.
    The article has been updated to enable IPv6 on the web server.
    Please see original article on yoursunny.com blog https://yoursunny.com/t/2020/OracleCloud-website/

@Erisa said:
    How do we send you 🥭?

FreshDirect is my primary 🥭 supplier.
    You can send me FreshDirect gift card.

Thanked by 2Erisa bulbasaur