Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Server – RAID1 or RAID10?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Server – RAID1 or RAID10?

nqservicesnqservices Member
edited January 2021 in General

Hi,

I need to buy a AX51-NVME Hetzner dedicated server that comes with 2x1TB NVMe in RAID1 using Software RAID.

I know that in theory a setup with more 2 drives (2x1TB NVMe) in RAID10 would bring more speed and reliability, correct?

I’m asking this because at Hetzner the server uses Software RAID instead of Hardware RAID, so I don’t know if there any issue with RAID10 performance. Maybe with Software RAID, RAID1 with just 2 drives is the best option? Or RAID10 Software RAID is the best way to go?

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• With only 2 drives, you can't do RAID10. You can do RAID0 or RAID1.

• @Hakim said:
    With only 2 drives, you can't do RAID10. You can do RAID0 or RAID1.

Yes I know. 2 drives RAID 1 vs 4 drives RAID 10. All using Software RAID. That is my question.

• Depends on your use case, realistically 4 NVMes isn't going to necessarily give you more reliability, if they're all the same age likeliness is they'll all die at the same time anyway, random failure on SSDs/NVMe is a lot less common than on HDDs. So the question is, do you really need the extra performance/disk space offered by having RAID 10 and is it worth the extra cost of having the extra 2 disks in as well?

If not i'd probably just stick with RAID 1.

• @WSCallum said:
    Depends on your use case, realistically 4 NVMes isn't going to necessarily give you more reliability, if they're all the same age likeliness is they'll all die at the same time anyway, random failure on SSDs/NVMe is a lot less common than on HDDs. So the question is, do you really need the extra performance/disk space offered by having RAID 10 and is it worth the extra cost of having the extra 2 disks in as well?

The extra cost for the 4 drives in RAID10 is not an issue. My objective is to have the fastest server possible to host several WordPress websites. Wordpress is heavy and having a fast disk helps a lot in performance.

I'm just unsure about choosing the 2 drives RAID1 v 4 drives in RAID 10.

• @nqservices said:

@WSCallum said:
    Depends on your use case, realistically 4 NVMes isn't going to necessarily give you more reliability, if they're all the same age likeliness is they'll all die at the same time anyway, random failure on SSDs/NVMe is a lot less common than on HDDs. So the question is, do you really need the extra performance/disk space offered by having RAID 10 and is it worth the extra cost of having the extra 2 disks in as well?

The extra cost for the 4 drives in RAID10 is not an issue. My objective is to have the fastest server possible to host several WordPress websites. Wordpress is heavy and having a fast disk helps a lot in performance.

I'm just unsure about choosing the 2 drives RAID1 v 4 drives in RAID 10.

4 NVMes is certainly going to be faster and SW raid is probably the better option performance wise than HW raid anyway unless you've got a pretty decent HW raid card, 2 NVMes in RAID 1 will be more than enough performance for WordPress websites by a mile but if you feel like you want 4, go for it.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Better spend the extra money on software such as litespeed etc, to improve performance. So I would say to go for RAID-1.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@nqservices said:
    ... My objective is to have the fastest server possible to host several WordPress websites. Wordpress is heavy and having a fast disk helps a lot in performance.

• No, not really. I'm almost certain that your objective is performance and reliability
    • Can you really get more performance out of Raid 10'ing 4 NVMes and if so, how much?
    • You've got 64 GB memory - and *that' is the "point of attack", Give your DB plenty of buffering. That will increase performance far more than adding a Raid 0 layer to your Raid 1.
    Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • You could go for RAID0 and backup using Acronis Backup Cloud. You can't solely rely on RAID and should have offsite backups anyway.

You then get the performance and covered backups wise, too

• @HostXNow said:
    You could go for RAID0 and backup using Acronis Backup Cloud. You can't solely rely on RAID and should have offsite backups anyway.

I decided to go with 2 drives in RAID1. Thanks all for the suggestions! About Acronis Backup Cloud, I have already saw, but the prices are to high. Do you know a cheap place to buy Acronis Backup Cloud? I need at least 1TB backup space.

@HostXNow said:
    You could go for RAID0 and backup using Acronis Backup Cloud. You can't solely rely on RAID and should have offsite backups anyway.

Clearly NO. Backup doesn't replace disk redundancy just as redundancy doesn't replace backup.

@nqservices said:
    I decided to go with 2 drives in RAID1. Thanks all for the suggestions! About Acronis Backup Cloud, I have already saw, but the prices are to high. Do you know a cheap place to buy Acronis Backup Cloud? I need at least 1TB backup space.

There are plenty alternatives, some of them free and/or opensource (modulo the Cloud costs of course).

• @nqservices said:

@HostXNow said:

Yes, ABC isn't cheap as it's the best around. But keep in mind you only need the storage you want to backup, i.e. you don't need 1TB ABC because you have 1TB drive as it doesn't work like that. ABC will only use storage that is used on the drive, not allocated space.

If you have 1TB drive on the server, but there are only 200GB used on it then go for an ABC plan of say 250/300GB which will work out cheaper and upgrade when you need more space. Also, keep in mind that Acronis disk usage is much lower than the server's space due to how Acronis works with deduplication/compression.

It's also cheaper to use an Acronis license which we sell for <£3/month and you could use cheap storage from a different provider to help reduce the costs, but storing data on single VPS/dedicated servers can be a problem long-term. It's best to backup the data to Cloud infrastructure if possible.

@HostXNow said:
    ... ABC ... it's the best around.

Care to provide supporting facts and evidence?

• @HostXNow Send you a PM about the Acronis Licenses. Thanks

• HostXNowHostXNow Member
    edited January 2021

@jsg said:

@HostXNow said:
    ... ABC ... it's the best around.

Care to provide supporting facts and evidence?

Correction: Best around, IMO.

r1soft... no thanks
    SolarWinds had a massive breach affecting many different providers which is a shame because I was going to test their software. Glad I didn't now.

There's JetBackup, and I use Acronis, so if one plays up can rely on the other.

@nqservices said:
    @HostXNow Send you a PM about the Acronis Licenses. Thanks

Replied.

Best,
    Chris

• Veeam backup

• I will go with RAID10 is more stable and reliable.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2021

@nqservices said: My objective is to have the fastest server possible to host several WordPress websites. Wordpress is heavy and having a fast disk helps a lot in performance.

Adding more RAM is going to help performance more than adding more disks to the RAID array. If the entire site (or at least the main parts) can fit into cache memory, the disk speed doesn't matter as much.

• There is no magic in RAID10, RAID10 just two RAID1 make a RAID0. If capacity is not an issue, you can certainly have RAID1 or even 3 mirroring, Just using capacity in exchange for HA(high availability)

• RAID1 is perfectly fine with NVMe drives.