Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansions planned, but where? UK or NL - which would you prefer to see?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Expansions planned, but where? UK or NL - which would you prefer to see?

imagineimagine Member
edited February 2012 in Help

Hi guys,

I trust all is going well.

We are looking to expand into one more area over the next couple of months - but our sales queries have highlighted two possibilities, so I've come to ask your opinion over which you would prefer.

We currently offer services from Scranton (BURST), Kansas City (Wholesale Internet), France (OVH), Germany (Hetzner), and a few nodes in Jacksonville with VolumeDrive.

The suggestions have been to expand to the UK (Redstation looks most appropriate so far), or to the Netherlands.

So, which of NL or the UK would you like to see - and any preferences or concerns about datacentres in these areas.

Thanks,
123COM

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2012

Neither. There are already 100 different offers for DE or NL. Try to offer something new.

• @rds100 said: Neither. There are already 100 different offers for DE or NL. Try to offer something new.

I agree with this statement, how will you differentiate yourself from other hosts? Especially from the hosts whose main nodes are in Europe.

• Europe and North America are the only continents right now that make sense for hosting in.

I'd say UK, your get good uplink to the US and the rest of Europe. But Asians wont be happy.

• Why not try to find a decent Data center/ISP that isn't a bulk seller like the ones you currently listed.

1. Burstnet
    2. OVH
    3. Hetzner
    4. Wholesale Internet
    5. Volumedrive

(Redstation is also one of these places, I wonder if the 1 penny dedicated servers for the first month spawned this thought?)

Who doesn't have a server at one of the places you listed? Instead of looking for the cheapest dedicated server you can get, actually find a decent data center with good peering and get your own ASN and create your own network. If you are trying to be a real business that people will respect stop choosing all kinds of cheap rented hardware and buy your own hardware and bandwidth. I say this mostly because I always hear mixed reviews of your company, enough so as I have stayed away. I think if you are looking to expand and spend money you should find somewhere besides the providers that are returned when you type "Cheap dedicated" or "Cheap co-location" into google. The location wont matter as long as the network you choose has good peering, is reliable and has good management running it. There are many well run networks in Netherlands, Germany, United Kingdom and as we are learning in this community all over the world. Just do not be afraid to actually spend some money on your hosting, you will find in most cases you actually get what you pay for.

So in short, if you new location is going to be provided by one of those "googled" and cheap hosts, your better off sticking with another node in one of your current locations. (Not that you couldn't find some better places to replace those you currently have)

• @rds100 said: Neither. There are already 100 different offers for DE or NL. Try to offer something new.

I agree, and the 'something new' element is in the works at the moment.

And we're open to all suggestions - but as I said, the UK and NL were the suggestions we had from sales tickets and chats.

Obviously expanding is not a priority unless there is a need for it, it just happens that recently the enquiry have show an increased demand for these locations.

@TheLinuxBug said: So in short, if you new location is going to be provided by one of those "googled" and cheap hosts, your better off sticking with another node in one of your current locations. (Not that you couldn't find some better places to replace those you currently have)

We are certainly not looking for the cheapest solutions to our problems - and quality is an enormous factor we take into account before purchasing from anywhere. However, in order to remain an LEB provider, the value for money is key.

As much as we have owned our own hardware, and do still have some of it left in colo - from the perspective of our first investments into offering VPS services, it did not seem financially viable to colocate at the time.

We have several other datacentre choices, specifically in the UK, which we are looking into (Peer1 and C4L for instance), but we have always orientated ourselves around support being of great importance, and while we need to maintain a high quality network and high quality hardware - the support comes at a cost too.

--

I appreciate your feedback, and look forward to any other suggestions :)
    ~LR

• NL NL NL NL, there can never be enough offers in NL!

Thanked by 3Steve81 djvdorp tux
  • upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

I suggest HongKong. ;) Equinix has a datacenter there. They have good ping to china and other asian regions.

• I would prefer NL over UK, sinc eht eUK is pretty much 1984.

Thanked by 1tux
  • nl ftw :)

• How about Tokyo. Linode has currently expanded there... any one tried that?

• Do look at Asia-Pacific (Singapore, Malaysia, India etc.) . Not many offers here currently, so you'd fare better from people who want an AP-based VPS (which most of us do :) )

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

Singapore and Malaysia have good uplinks, but their international bandwidth are costly. I can at least say that the current providers generally don't offer at LEB prices. so if you are able to provide one, the market is big.

• @peppr said: their international bandwidth are costly

Not true. It's because majority of Malaysia and India do not have FTTH yet. Once FTTH is deployed, the country generally has the uplink capacities doubled to handle the size, and that brings down the cost. The cost for international bandwidth in Singapore has reduced from earlier, and will gradually reduce as more ISP's come into the market for competition. It's just the datacenter connections here that are still costly.

• NL or what about Luxembourg?

• Expand in to some not so common locations, like Switzerland or Luxembourg, you could even get a central-east european location like Poland, Hungary or Czech Republic. That would make your service more unique :)

Thanked by 2Spirit tux