Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VM for Hacker challenge
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VM for Hacker challenge

Hello dear LET

I'm looking for a host allowing me to use the VM to host an hacker challenge (open contest where the goal is to try to hack the box)

Do you know which host will agree to host such an event? :)

Comments

• :p Just avoid unreliable hosts... server is down and even the strongest hacker can't help

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Look for providers on hacking-related forums.

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • What? You can host that contest on any VPS you want. There is no harm in hacking your own box if no DDoS is used. Any unmanaged KVM VPS provider will suffice.

• Neil-SFNeil-SF Member, Host Rep

We alredy hosted hack the box contests without issues.

Thanked by 2angelius atomi
  • Most providers can let you do so as long as no DDoS/DoS attacks, assuming you are legit customer there.

• @angelius You should ask google, aws, ms, oracle and see if they will sponsor. They are always looking for highly skilled talent. Maybe try to contact their security teams or recruiters; if of course its a serious event and not just a few people saying boy it would be cool to hack a server- which one of us can do it the fastest

• @Unbelievable said:
    @angelius You should ask google, aws, ms, oracle and see if they will sponsor. They are always looking for highly skilled talent. Maybe try to contact their security teams or recruiters; if of course its a serious event and not just a few people saying boy it would be cool to hack a server- which one of us can do it the fastest

In fact it's explicitly prohibited by all major cloud providers TOS. This is why I was asking here :)

I will probably do it with Sonicfast since it's ok with them!

• I have participated in multiple CTFs hosted on AWS, Google Cloud, DigitalOcean, Hetzner and similar providers. I don't think there's any issue if you have the sufficient firewall rules to prevent them from abusing the network to do DoS attacks. If you're hosting networked services (SSH, web servers, etc.), consider running them in a Docker container and then adding iptables rules from the outside to prevent access to the internet.

• Lockdown your Gibson's, everyone!

• @angelius said:

In fact it's explicitly prohibited by all major cloud providers TOS

I think that refers to hacking other people in the malicious context, take me with a grain of salt.