Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server organization tool
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server organization tool

v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Hi,

I'm currently writing a super simple web based server organization tool, which should replace my spreadsheet tables.
I'll probably open source it once it's ready.

I'd love to hear some input to improve the functionality.

Which information would you like to store?
Currently you can enter the name, hostname, location, provider, tags, resources, IPs and notes.

There will be a "card view" with all the servers listed as well as an individual view with more information.
What do you want to see at first glance on the "card view"?

Thanks!

Comments

• How long would it take to make it as good as this?
    http://centos-webpanel.com/

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

That sounds great and like something I'd want to use.

@v3ng said:

"resources" means CPU, RAM, HDD?

I also store ASN/network, type (OVZ, KVM, Dedi, ...) and the day I bought the service. In addition, cost/billing cycle/date of renewal might be useful... but I'm not sure if I'd like to have an overview of the amount of money I spend on servers...

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

@trycatchthis said:
    How long would it take to make it as good as this?
    http://centos-webpanel.com/

This is a completely different approach, my goal is only to get a structured overview of the servers and keep track, not managing them.

I might integrate a simple uptime monitoring at some point, but im not sure about that yet.

• snzsnz Member
    edited December 2020

Ideas:

• Link to panel (cockpit.example.com) (or make it a cockpit plugin)
    • "Server is up" indicator
    • A "expires" field

I'd like to have one tool to manage my domains too. So it would be nice to have different ressource types (VPS, Domain, Service, ...) with different fields

Criticism:

• Why a separate name when there is hostname already? Make it a description/usage field instead.
    • List > Card, so sorting by location/expiration date/... is easier

@brueggus said:
    That sounds great and like something I'd want to use.

@v3ng said:

"resources" means CPU, RAM, HDD?

I also store ASN/network, type (OVZ, KVM, Dedi, ...) and the day I bought the service. In addition, cost/billing cycle/date of renewal might be useful... but I'm not sure if I'd like to have an overview of the amount of money I spend on servers...

Thanks!
    Just added type and the price.
    Will think about the billing cycle.

@snz said:
    Ideas:

• Link to panel (cockpit.example.com) (or make it a cockpit plugin)
    • "Server is up" indicator
    • A "expires" field

I'd like to have one tool to manage my domains too. So it would be nice to have different ressource types (VPS, Domain, Service, ...) with different fields

Criticism:

• Why a separate name when there is hostname already? Make it a description/usage field instead.
    • List > Card, so sorting by location/expiration date/... is easier

Links are a great idea!
    At a later point I'll integrate a option to select the type of service (VPS, Domain,...)

The name field is basically a just a description.

I've added toggle (list, card) to the todo list

• resource: cpu, cpu type, ram, disk, disk type
    • price, billing cycle
    • domains attached
    • ipv4 / ipv6 attached (allow for multi-entry)
    • bulk check status by ping/pong
    • expiration/renewal reminder

will add more later ..

Thanked by 2Asim scooke
  • I have been looking for something like this. if possible it would be nice to a place to put an embed image, I run vstati to generate a bandwith.png file so if you could put the url to the image and it display it on the details for the server or something that would be awesome

Thanks guys!

I've just added a simple uptime monitoring and I'll attach some screenshots later.
    The frontend is based on VueJS which is consuming the PHP API.

I've decided against using a database and instead it's using simple .json files for each server.
    This allows a super easy deployment and backup process.

• @v3ng said:
    Thanks guys!

I've just added a simple uptime monitoring and I'll attach some screenshots later.

I've decided against using a database and instead it's using simple .json files for each server.

Any github repo already?

• Nice idea. I picked a couple of columns from my spreadsheet. Maybe they are already part of your fields. I have a column # of cores and a column to check if the core is dedicated or not. OVZ is almost non-existent, but I have a column for Virtualization type.

Most important of all (for me) is Idle %. It is my assessment of how much use the server is at. It helps me decide where to test my next project. If I have one running a Webserver, I prefer to use that server again to test another web project instead of installing the whole stack on a fresh server.

@ferri said:

@v3ng said:
    Thanks guys!

Any github repo already?

Not yet, but I’ll publish the link once it’s on GitHub.

@ramesh_vish said:
    Nice idea. I picked a couple of columns from my spreadsheet. Maybe they are already part of your fields. I have a column # of cores and a column to check if the core is dedicated or not. OVZ is almost non-existent, but I have a column for Virtualization type.

Most important of all (for me) is Idle %. It is my assessment of how much use the server is at. It helps me decide where to test my next project. If I have one running a Webserver, I prefer to use that server again to test another web project instead of installing the whole stack on a fresh server.

I’ve added a field for custom text and notes, you could save your idle % there.

Thanked by 1abytecurious
    edited January 2021

Decided to go with a table instead of the cards.
    I'll spend a bit more time on the table design itself to make it more readable

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

great, I was looking for this

Thanked by 1v3ng

This looks great!

That's the part I like the most:

• If you can add these things would be great 👍🏻
    Currency, billing cycle, due date, sort capability, billing reminder via email, monthly statement, etc

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited January 2021

GB4 and GB5 single and multi scores.

API to run a copy/paste command on server and it post/add itself to database with server details.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

s/Ressources/Resources/

My own sheet has three columns for price: Monthly, Yearly, and Normalized Monthly. I enter either the monthly or yearly price (depending on how it's billed), then the Normalized Monthly does an IF statement and possibly division to determine what the cost per month is (either the Monthly cost or Yearly /12 ), so I can sum up what my monthly cost is.

You might also add OS.

And "next due".

I put CPU/RAM in one box, then disk and bandwidth in separate columns so I can total them.

edited January 2021

Im trying to decide which table fields to add.

I can't consider every edge case, but there's still the notes field for custom notes.

Currently I settled on:
    tags, resources, location, os, provider, ips, type (KVM, LXC...), price, notes

Any other requests?

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

You can also do searches? search by IP or by server.

Thanked by 1Asim

Not yet, but that’s a great idea!

• Seems great! Looking forward to see it on github

Thanks!

• hostname?

• Looking forward to it being online on GitHub etc

@v3ng said:
    Im trying to decide which table fields to add.

I can't consider every edge case, but there's still the notes field for custom notes.

Currently I settled on:
    tags, resources, location, os, provider, ips, type (KVM, LXC...), price, notes

Any other requests?

Please don't add to many to keep it simple.

Instead, maybe one could add additional custom fields by specifying them in a config file.

• awesome idea, how many servers would be able to add ?

There’s no limit on how many servers you can add

Thanked by 2cold Asim

Just added the search function.

here's a quick demo
    https://i.imgur.com/V0WhQZ3.mp4

• What's the ETA on releasing code

Probably February

Thanked by 1Asim