Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is LET fetching resources from this domain?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is LET fetching resources from this domain?

Why is LET fetching resources from this domain? Though its just a stylesheet and @FAT32 is a gem of a person and his sincere contributions to this board are in a class of its own but I still feel that professionally run websites shouldn't have total dis-regard for the concepts of privacy and shouldn't apply haphazard patchworks to get the work done.

It just sets a bad precedent. Don't want to imagine the scenario where every individual mod/admin starts embedding codes pointing to their personal domains. Would have understood it if this was going on the illegitimate other green forum but LET is expected to be more mature.

Thanked by 2Rambler Adam1

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@dynamo said:

Why is LET fetching resources from this domain? Though its just a stylesheet and FAT32 is a gem of a person and his sincere contributions to this board are in a class of its own but I still feel that professionally run websites shouldn't have total dis-regard for the concepts of privacy and shouldn't apply haphazard patchworks to get the work done.

It just sets a bad precedent. Don't want to imagine the scenario where every individual mod/admin starts embedding codes pointing to their personal domains. Would have understood it if this was going on the illegitimate other green forum but LET is expected to be more mature.

Simply because despite I am one of the admins in LET, I don't have any access to the LET server. Only admin can inject code using Vanilla's feature but that's all I can do.

There's too many patching work going on in LET such that adding a few more patchwork is not too bad in my opinion. Honestly I don't consider LowEndTalk as a professionally run website, it is run by the community and most people are working in a voluntarily basis.

There's other things that can cause privacy leak such as embedding images from their own server but if you think that's a huge privacy concern then there's nothing much I can say. My domain is also pointing to Cloudflare so my server don't get all the requests, in fact I only have the nginx log for the last 7 days and that only happens if the cache miss.

I am not sure what triggered you but your comment is full of negative words such as but not limited to: "total dis-regard", "haphazard", "bad precedent" and "don't want to imagine". However, this issue is not as serious as it sounds but you are just trying to make it a big issue.

I agree things can be done more professionally but I am just doing everything out of goodwill during free time, hosting on personal domain is easier to fix any bugs on my side. People can really complain about anything. Since you prefer LET to be more professional, I had removed the stylesheet for GIFs and will also remove other injected codes when I am back to my computer.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited December 2020

Spot the "🤓👆 I don't test on prod, that's bad" guy

EDIT: Dark mode is gone. F.

• Nooooo, who turned on the light?!?

• @FAT32 said:
    People can really complain about anything.

Good lesson I learned from LET. They are expecting higher for lower price (or free) and there is no way to please everyone.

@jmgcaguicla said:
    EDIT: Dark mode is gone. F.

DarkReader to rescue :D
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/addon/darkreader/

• No more dark mode? :(

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

FAT32 said: Since you prefer LET to be more professional, I had removed the stylesheet for GIFs and will also remove other injected codes when I am back to my computer.

I'm very sure many people here appreciate your effort and enjoy the small bits you contribute to LET. You really need to stop buckling every time a single person starts complaining about anything.

This complaint is ridiculous btw.:

>

shouldn't have total dis-regard for the concepts of privacy

I'm quite sure, @FAT32 cares more about privacy than Google does...

And btw: Just check where the average online shop loads stuff from. Every person embedding jQuery from some CDN is basically doing the same.

Thanked by 4FAT32 chedenaz jar ntlx
  • Even though I'm pretty sure Fat32 wasn't fetching any sensitive personal data, I'd be glad to hand my private data to him instead of the actual LET corporation.

Thanked by 4William FAT32 BlaZe icry
  • @FAT32 I really appreciate all the hard work you do around here, this place doesn't deserve you.
    But who cares what OP thinks though?
    #bringbackdarktheme

Would have understood it if this was going on the illegitimate other green forum but LET is expected to be more mature.

Thanked by 2dustinc FAT32
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited December 2020

Sheesh Thanks OP.

Now I gotta see this b*tch with no make up on.

EDIT: I'm fine with @FAT32 and his ways.

Thanked by 2FAT32 vimalware
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

bringbackdarktheme

Thanked by 1boernd
  • @dynamo said:

Why is LET fetching resources from this domain? Though its just a stylesheet and @FAT32 is a gem of a person and his sincere contributions to this board are in a class of its own but I still feel that professionally run websites shouldn't have total dis-regard for the concepts of privacy and shouldn't apply haphazard patchworks to get the work done.

Idiot! Sorry if that offends you. Smoke a joint and chill, Jesus!

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • randomqrandomq Member
    edited December 2020

Is this part of the Russia hack? LET is critical infrastructure! #bringbackdarktheme

Someone please do a poll to make it obvious how many people appreciate FAT32's work and want the Dark Theme back.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • randomq said: Is this part of the Russia hack?

• dustinc said: bringbackdarktheme

agreed, came on.. and went blind.. I dunno, can I sue? :-P

• So this is the cause that make dark mode gone :(

• Eh, now dark mode is back...

Thanks

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited December 2020

Dark mode is back

@FAT32 you still owe me money for eye surgery

@jmgcaguicla @daffy @orion504 @kuroneko23 @brueggus @sdglhm @lokuzard @dustinc @its420somewhere @randomq @thedp @RouteIX @ferri

Sorry for the trouble, I had enabled it back and in the meanwhile please wait while I am in contact with Jon to get my server access.

Oh btw @dynamo - gaining server access could actually means less privacy because I have more access, and that's one reason I don't want that to happen because with great power comes great responsibilities

• @FAT32 said: Simply because despite I am one of the admins in LET, I don't have any access to the LET server. Only admin can inject code using Vanilla's feature but that's all I can do.

I know that. The purpose of this thread is to nudge people higher up with hope that they consider giving you the right tools/access to contribute in proper ways.

FAT32 said: Honestly I don't consider LowEndTalk as a professionally run website

I guess that is the core of our difference in perception about this board. I might be wrong but I am still of the opinion that its a professionally run website with set privacy policies etc. which is why I have taken this seemingly naive patchwork more seriously.

FAT32 said: can cause privacy leak such as embedding images from their own server

I am sure you know better that a remote script/stylesheet called from every page on LET has no comparison with a user embedding a remote image in a specific post.

FAT32 said: My domain is also pointing to Cloudflare so my server don't get all the requests

I am damn sure you know better that Cloudflare protects the servers and not client information. It relays everything as-is.

FAT32 said: but your comment is full of negative words

Yes they are strong words but not really negative. That is just my way of putting across a point using strong words. You don't have to take it personally as they weren't targeted at you anyways. Its the responsibility of LET owner/s to decide whether this laxity is acceptable. You missed the good words though. I also said no mod/admin in past has contributed as much as you in the few years you been here.

FAT32 said: People can really complain about anything.

Unfortunate that you see it this way. Feedback can also be taken in the right spirit.

FAT32 said: Since you prefer LET to be more professional, I had removed the stylesheet for GIFs and will also remove other injected codes when I am back to my computer.

You do not have to act on my preferences. Its the larger audience that matters. I just felt that I should bring this up for the forum managers to ponder over.

Thanked by 2lowendboi seenu

• @dynamo said:
    I am damn sure you know better that Cloudflare protects the servers and not client information. It relays everything as-is.

Actually no if you enable cache on CF, only first hit that pass, next will bypass the request to origin

Thanked by 1mexyul
    edited December 2020

@dynamo said:
    I know that. The purpose of this thread is to nudge people higher up with hope that they consider giving you the right tools/access to contribute in proper ways.

As mentioned earlier, the proper tools most likely means FTP/Server access, isn't that more of a concern for you from a privacy perspective?

I guess that is the core of our difference in perception about this board. I might be wrong but I am still of the opinion that its a professionally run website with set privacy policies etc. which is why I have taken this seemingly naive patchwork more seriously.

Really? Based on your past comments you understand quite well that this place is no longer that professional since there are lots of trolls: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3043111/#Comment_3043111

I am sure you know better that a remote script/stylesheet called from every page on LET has no comparison with a user embedding a remote image in a specific post.

But is there any much differences if I host the script/stylesheet directly with lowendtalk.com, given that I got the server access? In case you don't know, images are found in signature too, but usually I will remove them as soon as possible if I found anyone that violated this

You are saying Cloudflare cache is not working?

Yes they are strong words but not really negative. That is just my way of putting across a point using strong words. You don't have to take it personally as they weren't targeted at you anyways. Its the responsibility of LET owner/s to decide whether this laxity is acceptable. You missed the good words though. I also said no mod/admin in past has contributed as much as you in the few years you been here.

Sorry but compliment sandwich doesn't work on me. This theme has been around for at least half a year and everyone is fine with it except you.

Unfortunate that you see it this way. Feedback can also be taken in the right spirit.

In that case why cannot these feedbacks be submitted either in Private Messaging or in the thread where we discuss about Forum improvements?

You do not have to act on my preferences. Its the larger audience that matters. I just felt that I should bring this up for the forum managers to ponder over.

Similarly, LET support desk exists and PM exists for that particular reason.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

I'm not sure whether I like THIS kind of drama...

• @brueggus said:
    I'm not sure whether I like THIS kind of drama...

New drama every week!

@kuroneko23 said:
    New drama every week!

I prefer deal over drama though...

Thanked by 3DP brueggus Ganonk
  • @FAT32 said:

@kuroneko23 said:
    New drama every week!

I prefer deal over drama though...

Yap, new year deals, let get started :smiley:

• @brueggus said: I'm quite sure, @FAT32 cares more about privacy than Google does...

Agreed. But because one cannot escape Google doesn't mean you pull down your front gates.

@sdglhm said: I'd be glad to hand my private data to him instead of the actual LET corporation.

LET corporation is already having it. Why you wish to disperse it even more?

@FAT32 said: with great power comes great responsibilities

Responsibility. Thats the keyword.

FAT32 said: As mentioned earlier, the proper tools most likely means FTP/Server access, isn't that more of a concern for you from a privacy perspective?

I neither know you personally nor the one who can hand over this access to you. So that is not my concern at all.

FAT32 said: Based on your past comments you understanding quite well that this place is no longer that professional since there are lots of trolls

Yes I am well aware of the change in demography of LET. Board being plagued with trolls doesn't have anything to do with the professionalism with which LET is/should be run. Now that you have profiled me, I am sure you can see that most my comments are in topics where functioning of this forum is being discussed. I am all for improvements and corrections where needed.

FAT32 said: You are saying Cloudflare cache is not working?

I am sure it is. But that is not something the visitor controls. Does it? Thats besides the point though. No one was casting doubts on your intentions.

FAT32 said: Sorry but complimentary sandwich doesn't work on me.

Ok. Don't let the administrator role eat up your modesty though as it happened with some previous ones. That would be really unfortunate as you are only person who has contributed more than words to get that position.

FAT32 said: In that case why cannot these feedbacks be submitted either in Private Messaging or in the thread where we discuss about Forum improvements?

Because the matter isn't of any sensitive nature requiring a private message. Discussing openly on a public board seems apt as forum improvements is a topic that concerns all I guess.

@dynamo said:
    I neither know you personally nor the one who can hand over this access to you. So that is not my concern at all.

I guess you still didn't get the point here. Me having access means not only I can access current log but also past logs, and inject any scripts in any places that is even harder to spot. However, I can doesn't mean I will, just telling you that there's more privacy concern there.

Yes I am well aware of the change in demography of LET. Board being plagued with trolls doesn't have anything to do with the professionalism with which LET is/should be run. Now that you have profiled me, I am sure you can see that most my comments are in topics where functioning of this forum is being discussed. I am all for improvements and corrections where needed.

Yup, which makes me believe you are most likely a past admins/mods in LET too but you don't want to use your main account. Either way, some of the past improvements and comments are really valid and thanks for your contribution.

Because the matter isn't of any sensitive nature requiring a private message. Discussing openly on a public board seems apt as forum improvements is a topic that concerns all I guess.

It is not sensitive, but there's a psychological factor involved here. It is the same as you telling some community members to communicate with providers first before opening a thread in LET. When an issue is being discussed publicly, it is more or less trying to make it difficult for the person involved.

• OP should have just PMed first.

I just figured this was just a stopgap solution until darkmode css was perfectly stable.