Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help a newbie with CHEAP VPS solution for Downloading/Uploading Files to GDrive/Onedrive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please help a newbie with CHEAP VPS solution for Downloading/Uploading Files to GDrive/Onedrive

Hello

I am new here and I am a hardcore Windows user, so you can say that I am a newbie when it comes to Linux. But I am willing to learn if I am guided properly

Recently I was using a seedbox which was running Ubuntu 18 VNC ( this is the description given on their website about VNC: Ubuntu app provides a full VPS like container with SSH & remote desktop facilities)

I was using Ubuntu 18 VNC and on that rclone + rclone browser was also provided. The space that was allotted to my account was 1 TB HDD with unlimited up/down bandwidth.

I am looking for a cheap VPS solution where I can install following:

• Ubuntu 18 VNC
  • rclone + rclone browser
  • Firefox web browser

I want to download files at very high speed and then transfer the files to my google drive/onedrive account using rclone.

Can you please tell me cheapest possible solutions?

P.S. 1: My home internet speed is very slow only 8 Mbps

P.S. 2: I don't want to use the VPS for torrenting. I just want to download files at very high speed using a web browser and then transfer them to my google drive/onedrive account at high speed. I want 500 gb or 1 TB hdd space and I can manage with limited bandwidth, say 3 to 5 TB a month. Sorry if I am asking too much, I am a newbie so please bear with me.

Thanks

Comments

• Budget?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Did someone mention NexusBytes @seriesn

• if you want cheap, don't use vnc. learn ssh and rclone command options. there are many github scripts to download files from usenet, torrent, mega, 1fichier etc.

create download folder and finished downloading folder. most script has feature to move finished download from one folder to another folder.
    use cron to monitor finished folder and use rclone move to upload the content of the folder to gdrive.

this way is very cheap.
    a couple of years ago I used 7 euro per year vps to upload 120TB to gdrive.
    then I got bored, too many movies and TV no time to watch them.

if u want GUI some of those script has web interface so u can copy paste links you want the vps to download and move to gdrive.

good luck

• @Jord said:
    Did someone mention NexusBytes @seriesn

Hi @totalnoob

@seriesn has storage-type vps available which may suit your needs.

https://nexusbytes.com/kvm-storage-vps.html

They are definitely not on the cheap side but things would never go wrong. Once it is set up, it will basically run until the next Ice Age that kills all of us :)

• totalnoobtotalnoob Member
    edited December 2020

@swat4 @jamuja @chocolateshirt @Jord

Thanks for your responses.

I have some doubts:

1. When I click on configure now button on nexusbytes, it asks me to select OS: https://my.nexusbytes.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

If I select ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04, then will I get the GUI version of OS, just like Windows? Where we can click on files/folders, drag/drop here and there etc. OR I will get CLI interface.

1. It also asks me to select Server Label/Hostname, so do I need to enter a REAL .com domain name here?

2. It says "I understand that hosting and distributing copyrighted material is against the Terms of Service." - But I need to download and send some movies/TV shows to my Google drive/Onedrive. I am not going to share with anyone. No distribution.

Sorry for noob questions

Thanks

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited December 2020

totalnoob said: OR I will get CLI interface.

You get CLI, but you can google how to install vnc and xfce desktop. It's very easy, and you can get it done in 5 mins by copy pasting from a guide.

totalnoob said: do I need to enter a REAL .com domain name here?

No.

totalnoob said: I am not going to share with anyone. No distribution.

Honestly? If all you do is dump stuff on google drive over and over, as long as you are not doing it 24/7 noone cares. But officially, I think a reputable host is supposed to say you can't download those movies.

• @totalnoob said:

1. When I click on configure now button on nexusbytes, it asks me to select OS: https://my.nexusbytes.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

If I select ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04, then will I get the GUI version of OS, just like Windows? Where we can click on files/folders, drag/drop here and there etc. OR I will get CLI interface.

1. It also asks me to select Server Label/Hostname, so do I need to enter a REAL .com domain name here?

2. It says "I understand that hosting and distributing copyrighted material is against the Terms of Service." - But I need to download and send some movies/TV shows to my Google drive/Onedrive. I am not going to share with anyone. No distribution.

Sorry for noob questions

Thanks

Hi! Good Day! I am no expert so if someone spots any mistakes of mine, please correct:

(1) I don't use Ubuntu and I guess it should be CLI interface by default. Perhaps you would need to DIY like this https://phoenixnap.com/kb/how-to-install-a-gui-on-ubuntu

(2) Not really. So long as it looks like a domain, the cart system should let you pass.

(3) I guess private use would be fine.

@seriesn is the representative of NexusBytes - he is based in Eastern time zone so I guess he can only get back to you 6 hours later.

• @swat4 said:

@totalnoob said:

Sorry for noob questions

Thanks

Hi! Good Day! I am no expert so if someone spots any mistakes of mine, please correct:

(1) I don't use Ubuntu and I guess it should be CLI interface by default. Perhaps you would need to DIY like this https://phoenixnap.com/kb/how-to-install-a-gui-on-ubuntu

(2) Not really. So long as it looks like a domain, the cart system should let you pass.

(3) I guess private use would be fine.

@seriesn is the representative of NexusBytes - he is based in Eastern time zone so I guess he can only get back to you 6 hours later.

Hi there @totalnoob while I do appreciate you taking a look at us, unfortunately, for your usage type and requirements, we are not the right company :(

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited December 2020

Well I think whatever you choose will be much much cheaper than the site you quoted from.

BTW you could achieve all that even with a 128mb RAM VPS, but it would take a different approach (no desktop, no Firefox no VNC required ).