Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

google authenticator question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

google authenticator question

I have re-installed my iOS. so google authenticator app has been destroyed.
If I re-install this app in the new iOS, will the old data (for example, paypal third party authentication) exist there?

Thanks.

Comments

• Do not know about iOS, but on android it uses a local sqlite database, that is removed on unninstal and it does NOT sync with any server.
    So i supose the same happens on iOS, meaning it will not have any of the old data.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • You might have to use your backup codes to access your accounts, reset and set up again. I would consider using Aegis, it's far better and you can export/import your backups.

Thanked by 2jpeng Daniel15
  • You can use Authy(support sync+multi device) or any open source flexible one. Like Aegis, AndOTP, etc.

Thanked by 2lokuzard kalimov622
  • There is an android app that ia excellent and have local or online encrypted backups. AndOTP. In your case it may not be available with iOS.

• no, unless you transfer the app to another device Before you uninstalled, nothing gets retained.
    therefore you need to use your backup code to reset All the account.

a very good practice of 2FA is use you backup code the first time it generate and see how it works, Not every 2FA works the same, and some site does not even allow backup code to be used for login, and you have to contact the site admin for that. after that, generate a new set of back up code and keep it safe.

• @forces said:
    no, unless you transfer the app to another device Before you uninstalled, nothing gets retained.
    therefore you need to use your backup code to reset All the account.

a very good practice of 2FA is use you backup code the first time it generate and see how it works, Not every 2FA works the same, and some site does not even allow backup code to be used for login, and you have to contact the site admin for that. after that, generate a new set of back up code and keep it safe.

paypal doesn't permit backup code to use. so i use mobile verification for login after losing the code. :)

• U can't recover the authentication codes, its lost forever. Either you are locked out or if the websites provide backup codes, use that.

I use an alternative app called Authy. Its compatible with all authenticator codes, and does cloud backup.

• i'm use authy, it's free and you can sync across device (windows/linux/mac/android/ios) without worry lossing ton of code 2FA.

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited December 2020

Nah, it's all gone. Don't use Authy LastPass Authenticator. btw. It's been a disaster for me having not being able to recover my codes after a reinstall. I have been using Bitwarden Premium since then.

edit: oh wait it wasnt Authy, but LP Authenticator.

• For google authenticator, you need to do the backup by export the accounts (up to 10 accounts each time). It will generate a QR code. You only need to save the QR, then you are free to import to any newly install google authenticator on new device. If using android device, you need to capture the QR code by another phone, ios, you can direct screen capture.

If you forgot to do this backup, once it is gone, gone. Just like any data without backup.

I don't want my 2FA code to sync to many devices. I rather to keep it on one or two devices that I used less.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • @smile93 said:
    For google authenticator, you need to do the backup by export the accounts (up to 10 accounts each time). It will generate a QR code. You only need to save the QR, then you are free to import to any newly install google authenticator on new device. If using android device, you need to capture the QR code by another phone, ios, you can direct screen capture.

If you forgot to do this backup, once it is gone, gone. Just like any data without backup.

I don't want my 2FA code to sync to many devices. I rather to keep it on one or two devices that I used less.

erm...ur method actually works..

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

@sandanista said:
    You might have to use your backup codes to access your accounts, reset and set up again. I would consider using Aegis, it's far better and you can export/import your backups.

Aegis is also open source, and can import from several other 2FA apps (I migrated from "Authenticator Plus" which was good but got abandoned by the developer). I'd definitely recommend it.

• @0xbkt said: I have been using Bitwarden Premium since then.

or self host bitwarden, get it free of charge
    thank you for reminding me about this, i should take serious thoughts about switch 2FA to my bitwarden_rs now...

• Not trying to hijack the discussion here- Can I import data from Authy into Aegis (would like to move to more Open source unlike Authy). Overall Authy is perfect to use and checks all boxes for me except closed source.

• Just checked, Google authenticator have a option to transfer the code. Not exactly what you want, but if you have another device, it may be a option.

• @plumberg said:
    Not trying to hijack the discussion here- Can I import data from Authy into Aegis (would like to move to more Open source unlike Authy). Overall Authy is perfect to use and checks all boxes for me except closed source.

If you have a device that is rooted(!!), then yes you can import from Authy to Aegis without any issues at all. The secrets in Authy are stored in its private app data so with root access it will just reach right in there and grab them.
    If you don't, you might as well just spend an hour or so moving them over by hand (Reissuing 2FA secrets) because there are so little sane ways to export from Authy and trying will just take longer.

• @plumberg said: Can I import data from Authy into Aegis (would like to move to more Open source unlike Authy).

I exported from Authy into Authenticator Plus a long time ago, and recently exported from Authenticator Plus into Aegis.

The way I did it for Authy a long time ago was by using their Chrome app/extension. I wrote some JavaScript to grab the data and print it out in an exportable format. Unfortunately it looks like they discontinued the Chrome app (https://authy.com/blog/authy-chrome-app-extension-end-life/) so that approach is likely not feasible any more.

Aegis can import from Authy on a rooted device. If you don't want to root your device, you could probably use the Android emulator (comes with Android Studio), root the emulated device, then do it there.

• orion504orion504 Member
    edited January 2021

Bitwarden can store TOTP like Aegis right Ref, so no need to backup manually? Just use bitwarden_rs on any free tier VPS and auto backup database files to B2 :joy:

Edit: Seems like storing passwords and 2FA tokens in the same place is a bad idea :sweat: