Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ApisCP 18 year anniversary sale! And updates! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ApisCP 18 year anniversary sale! And updates!

Comments

• Have modified my instance to single CPU, 1GB RAM (rather than dual, 2GB) and will leave running for a while.
    Never let it be said that I don't try. ;)

• Lifetime licenses are transferable right ?

I read this somewhere in reddit...

Thanked by 1kaz050457
  • Is it focused on those who are in the web hosting business? I just installed it on my DigitalOcean server. I tried to install it in a $5 plan but it was too big for that so I had to install it in a $10 plan.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@MikeIn said:
    Novice question: cgroup

So basically, one won't need Cloud Linux for basic per user restriction. Will every shared hosting A/C be running as separate user then?

Correct. Resource accounting is done through cgroups, which are the same basis of resource accounting in CloudLinux. ApisCP uses a mixture of systemd namespaces/chroots/synthetic filesystems (BoxFS) for its filesystem isolation. All PHP-FPM pools run as a separate user from the account admin that's local to that account's filesystem. This is the basis of Fortification.

@SuperCOOL said:
    Lifetime licenses are transferable right ?

I read this somewhere in reddit...

Yes, if you need to transfer it out of your account for now send a support email via my.apiscp.com.

@GreenPeace said:
    Is it focused on those who are in the web hosting business? I just installed it on my DigitalOcean server. I tried to install it in a $5 plan but it was too big for that so I had to install it in a $10 plan.

Built originally for a web hosting business but general purpose enough to work in a variety of environments where you want a platform that can manage itself. If you're spinning up an image from DO's Marketplace, that was built on a 2 GB machine. You can install on a 1 GB node in low-memory mode when has_low_memory=true.

I recommend running panel proxy off a 1 GB machine as there's no compelling reason for a larger node.

Thanked by 1MikeIn
  • @nem said: ANNIVERSARY

does the lifetime pro license include unlimited nodes?

• @kalipus said:

@nem said: ANNIVERSARY

does the lifetime pro license include unlimited nodes?

One installation on one server with unlimited clients setup.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

What about LiteSpeed support?

@vero said:

Covered previously here and benchmarked separately by another user on HT coming from OLS. There's no discernible difference when Apache is configured to behave like OLS or NGINX.

edited December 2020

@nem said:

@vero said:

Covered previously here and benchmarked separately by another user on HT coming from OLS. There's no discernible difference when Apache is configured to behave like OLS or NGINX.

So the answer is "no and is not planned" if I understood you correctly:) I like LS, it performs perhaps only slightly better most of the time, but it's like a drug and I'm addicted.

Few more questions about differences between Pro and other licenses:

1. Are updates free for Startup and Mini lifetime licenses?
    2. Are DNS - only servers available for cheaper plans?
    3. Are all types of licenses transferable or only Pro?

Thanks.

@vero said:
    So the answer is "no and is not planned" if I understood you correctly:)

Correct. There's simply nothing novel that LiteSpeed offers that justifies splitting development focus.

Two more questions about differences between Pro and other licenses:

1. Are updates free for Startup and Mini lifetime licenses?

Yes.

1. Are DNS - only servers available for cheaper plans?

DNS-only licenses are free via my.apiscp.com. You can even login to a DNS-only node and manage all participating nodes in the DNS cluster.

1. Are all types of licenses transferable or only Pro?

All are.

@nem said:

All are.

So they are all identical functionality wise, except support option and domain limit?

@vero said:

So they are all identical functionality wise, except support option and domain limit?

Correct. Otherwise in doing so you end up creating confusing product lines that either induce decision paralysis or diminish the overall value of the product in what becomes effectively a freemium product.

Thanked by 1vero
  • BertieBertie Member
    edited December 2020

"10 year OS support lifecycle"

Was nice while it lasted I guess.

• @AlwaysSkint said: A control panel should be there to ease the burden of administration and that is all. Not become a so-called App in its' own right.

+1

Even though I admire the hard work that has gone in making this panel, it is the only panel which thoroughly overwhelms the different individual software components it installs & manages. The philosophy is to automate everything and create a self-healing secure machine, but the sheer complexity and sophistication of it all must bring its own challenges in the longer run.

@Bertie said:
    "10 year OS support lifecycle"

Was nice while it lasted I guess.

I've shared my thoughts on this. Switching from downstream to upstream offers a few benefits once you get past the FUD.

@dynamo said:
    but the sheer complexity and sophistication of it all must bring its own challenges in the longer run.

That's the role of Ansible in this machine. It simplifies management and ensures platforms are built in a consistent, logical manner. Prior to rolling out Ansible ~3 years ago I'd manually configure new platforms by hand, which was an unmanageable mess. This platform wouldn't be possible if it weren't for a confluence of new technologies like systemd and Ansible that makes platforms of this complexity easy to accomplish.

Thanked by 1edoarudo5

@seenu said:
    can anyone tell me why it is great/different from others?

i have visited website many and it seems impressive, also some different approach but i don't actually get how it helps me better than others say cyberpanel

You know, I feel pretty much the same. But the problem is not the product, but rather myself. I can see that this CP packs many useful features, I can intuitively find required options, it's doing what it's supposed to do and still I feel like I'm staring at controls of alien ship..

We are already spoiled by simplicity of cPanel, CyberPanel or DA.. On the other hand, DA or CyberPanel doesn't even install SSL for server hostname automatically.. But missing CSF feels extremely uncomfortable, even though it doesn't work with nftables (on Centos 8) directly yet (it works, but not the way it is supposed to work).

One need to create different mindset to use ApisCP IMO. For me it might take a while and during that time prices can rise x2.5 again (comparing to last years Black Friday sale). But making an investment, like one guy wrote, doesn't look like a solution - you either learn and use this system at it's best or don't touch it at all. That's not an easy decision. For me at least.

Thanked by 1seenu

@vero said:
    That's not an easy decision. For me at least.

UX needs work, there's no question about that. ApisCP is still in the innovator stage of adoption. It's picked up some very bright, eager minds that are bringing excellent insight to features we need to have and giving me an opportunity to work exclusively with them to get these features dialed in correctly.

In this stage docs are canon if you have questions. ApisCP ships with Rampart, which is designed as a secure firewall bolted into ApisCP that can be managed entirely from its API. Rampart is structural to ApisCP; it selectively monitors services as components are added/removed.

Those that have switched over absolutely love it. Yet, it's still in early adoption where communication and solid architecture is critical. cPanel's limited progress over the last few years reinforces exactly how important a strong foundation is. You can hammer in only so many nails into a house before it collapses upon itself.

Technology is always moving. Keep ApisCP in mind for the future.

• seenuseenu Member
    edited December 2020

@vero said:

@seenu said:
    can anyone tell me why it is great/different from others?

i have visited website many and it seems impressive, also some different approach but i don't actually get how it helps me better than others say cyberpanel

You know, I feel pretty much the same. But the problem is not the product, but rather myself. I can see that this CP packs many useful features, I can intuitively find required options, it's doing what it's supposed to do and still I feel like I'm staring at controls of alien ship..

We are already spoiled by simplicity of cPanel, CyberPanel or DA.. On the other hand, DA or CyberPanel doesn't even install SSL for server hostname automatically.. But missing CSF feels extremely uncomfortable, even though it doesn't work with nftables (on Centos 8) directly yet (it works, but not the way it is supposed to work).

One need to create different mindset to use ApisCP IMO. For me it might take a while and during that time prices can rise x2.5 again (comparing to last years Black Friday sale). But making an investment, like one guy wrote, doesn't look like a solution - you either learn and use this system at it's best or don't touch it at all. That's not an easy decision. For me at least.

Thanks for the insights, last week i have installed it on a ryzen box so installation finished in 20mins but lot of ambiguity using it yet still i tried to use it, waking up next day.... i decided it is not for me and just deleted VM, i am not trying to make any negative reviews for it but just felt, it is not for me.

i mostly manage sites with vps directly and in cyberpanel, i have only 4 sites there and wanted to move them here but with all the initial work i need to do, i just decided to skip it this time.

thought of getting pro lifetime license, because price might increase later and i regret not having many life times licenses (ex: DA) so it is a chance for me to do, but i agree with you about either learn and use or just dont touch it.

somewhere in jan/feb, i will get plenty of free time, so i can try it once again that time.

@seenu said:
    Thanks for the insights, last week i have installed it on a ryzen box so installation finished in 20mins but lot of ambiguity using it yet still i tried to use it, waking up next day.... i decided it is not for me and just deleted VM, i am not trying to make any negative reviews for it but just felt, it is not for me.

i mostly manage sites with vps directly and in cyberpanel, i have only 4 sites there and wanted to move them here but with all the initial work i need to do, i just decided to skip it this time.

Any issues in particular that seemed confusing or areas that can be improved upon to help usability?

What initial work as well? There's no immediate plans to provide a CyberPanel import facility, but ApisCP has 1-clicks for Laravel and WordPress among others, as well as automated updates and security profiles to make it secure. Getting started with these shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.

• Since you are asking for feedback maybe I can share some things I found confusing/difficult to use and can be improved in ApnisCP (compared to other CP like DA, Cpanel and Keyhelp)

Note that I'm an average or below average user (Not expert in managing servers). So please take my point with that in mind.

1- DNS management was just so confusing to me. When I have a vps for example I tend to have it running DNS server such as powerDNS or Bind. Other CP gives a full customization and control of the service zones/config and I don't have to use the SSH command line at all or other use a third solution to manage and edit. And it work out of the box after the CP installation ( When I chose to go with buitin powerDNS server). e.g. I ws not able to edit the NS in the zone from the panel itself.
    Maybe in the future you can improve this.
    (I should be using the CP interface for 99% of configurations of the server)

2- Mail management, the panel is suppose to eliminate the need for a third party solution such as mailchannel and work out of the box, after installation I tested this and it worked but with some issues related to deliverability of the emails sent, because dkim was not valid/setup incorrectly the Spam score got high and the email ended up in the SPAM box of the receiver. So I have to do some additional work to get this working properly.

I have used the same IP and domain with same email but using KH CP and the setup worked perfectly after installation (only had to add the domain and create the mail box) and emails get delivered to the INBOX and they get a good spam score.

Also another point for the email management: When I try to create a new mail box under a user: Say John, for example [email protected]. it will be created but all emails sent to that new mail box will be delivered to [email protected] instead and if I want to use [email protected], I have to create a new user : "a". This I did hate honestly.

These some of the things that I noticed within a day of testing, I'll do more testing after the new year of course.

I'm 100 % sure that after you read my comment you would say all this because I missed to setup something or didn't do it right and this is my point here. Most users including myself want something that works out of the box with minimum/basic tweaks and configurations required.

Also you might need to start supporting more languages, 18 years and only see English and German. I'm willing to help with translation for Arabic if you want to add it in the future.

Having said that, I still believe this Panel has a great future, and no regret on my little investment :)

Thanks

Thanked by 1nem

@PandoGulf said:
    Since you are asking for feedback maybe I can share some things I found confusing/difficult to use and can be improved in ApnisCP (compared to other CP like DA, Cpanel and Keyhelp)

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on flow.

1- DNS management was just so confusing to me. When I have a vps for example I tend to have it running DNS server such as powerDNS or Bind.

DNS is intentionally open ended because running DNS correctly requires more than 1 server (RFC 1034 §4.1). You can either plug into CloudFlare or Hetzner, which provide free DNS hosting with a couple commands. For example:

cpcmd scope:set dns.default-provider cloudflare
    cpcmd scope:set dns.default-provider-key '[key:abcdef0123456789,email:[email protected],proxy:false]'

Now every domain added provisions its DNS on CloudFlare. It'll communicate with CloudFlare to authorize wildcard SSL as well as update DNS during server migrations. Likewise if you run multiple servers, there's a short guide on setting up a hidden master topology with 2 nameservers, the minimum number permitted.

Friends don't let friends use BIND. I still use it for Hostineer and regret every time it takes 10 minutes to startup preloading zone data into memory. PowerDNS is a much better option if you want to self-host DNS otherwise pick from one of 7 supported DNS vendors.

Other CP gives a full customization and control of the service zones/config and I don't have to use the SSH command line

DNS > DNS Manager allows access to modify records for all zones for each account. It sounds like you configured the account to use the "null" DNS provider, the default configuration, which doesn't show DNS Manager.

I ws not able to edit the NS in the zone from the panel itself.

NS in SOA is controlled by the DNS vendor. In the case of PowerDNS, can be configured in auth.yaml. You can delegate NS records for subdomains elsewhere in the panel. If it's to alter default TTL, there's an even easier way in config.ini:

cpcmd scope:set cp.config dns default_ttl 60

Now all records added have a 60 second TTL. Note you can also use the UI (Scopes app) to accomplish this.

(I should be using the CP interface for 99% of configurations of the server)

Check out Scopes in the UI. This is your server configuration tool. cp.config and cp.bootstrapper Scopes cover panel and server behavior. If it's not covering 99% of what you need to do let me know.

2- Mail management, the panel is suppose to eliminate the need for a third party solution such as mailchannel and work out of the box, after installation I tested this and it worked but with some issues related to deliverability of the emails sent, because dkim was not valid/setup incorrectly the Spam score got high and the email ended up in the SPAM box of the receiver. So I have to do some additional work to get this working properly.

DKIM via rspamd is coming after reseller early 2021 - there's some architecture to build up before this is properly implemented per-domain. You can use a global DKIM signing key in /var/lib/rspamd/SERVER.key. There's a client who implemented it as a Postfix milter with OpenDKIM; he's putting up an article on it after the holiday rush is over.

I have used the same IP and domain with same email but using KH CP and the setup worked perfectly after installation (only had to add the domain and create the mail box) and emails get delivered to the INBOX and they get a good spam score.

Forward me a copy of both samples to [email protected] - I'm curious to see how they were formatted and scored.

Also another point for the email management: When I try to create a new mail box under a user: Say John, for example [email protected]. it will be created but all emails sent to that new mail box will be delivered to [email protected] instead and if I want to use [email protected], I have to create a new user : "a". This I did hate honestly.

ApisCP is multi-tenant. Every domain can have multiple users that are treated by the OS as independent user acounts. This is an important distinction from cPanel and one that takes some getting used to. It's also what allows Fortification to work, a blessing in combating the rise of WordPress infestations. All mail has to deliver to a user account. A user account can possess multiple email addresses, but you'd always login to the server with that user account. If you wanted a separate email account "a", then it's best to create a separate user.

I've had similar requests pop up a few times for a shared IMAP folder, which can be accomplished using ACLs, symlinks, and a shared namespace. User john would have access to the mailboxes for users a, b, and c but user a could not access either b or c's mailbox. Would this help your situation?

I'm 100 % sure that after you read my comment you would say all this because I missed to setup something or didn't do it right and this is my point here. Most users including myself want something that works out of the box with minimum/basic tweaks and configurations required.

Even if you mess some things up it's an availability issue on my end- I need to work on communicating these steps clearly. Hopefully my responses clear some things up for you.
    Your feedback has given me some direction heading into 2021.

Also you might need to start supporting more languages, 18 years and only see English and German. I'm willing to help with translation for Arabic if you want to add it in the future.

Focusing on building rather than growing the product right now, but I'll take you up on your offer once it's outside the building stage :).

Thanked by 2PandoGulf kaz050457
  • PandoGulfPandoGulf Veteran
    edited January 2021

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

@nem said:
    Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on flow.

Most Welcome.

DNS is intentionally open ended because running DNS correctly requires more than 1 server (RFC 1034 §4.1). You can either plug into CloudFlare or Hetzner, which provide free DNS hosting with a couple commands.

I was able do this from the UI itself too, BTW I tested this using CloudFlare and Hetzner and both worked perfectly.. my feedback is for the option of running my own DNS service.
    I used PowerDNS.

NS in SOA is controlled by the DNS vendor. In the case of PowerDNS, can be configured in auth.yaml.

Perfect can I do this through the Panel UI ? if not you should seriously consider adding this. That's my point.

Check out Scopes in the UI. This is your server configuration tool. cp.config and cp.bootstrapper Scopes cover panel and server behavior. If it's not covering 99% of what you need to do let me know.

I did, It looked alien to me first but then got it (I used webmin before).
    I'll keep exploring it and I'll share my notes with you if I have any.

Forward me a copy of both samples to [email protected] - I'm curious to see how they were formatted and scored.

Sure, I'll do that after I'm done with this reply. UPDATE: Email sent.

..... Would this help your situation?

The current setup as it is will work, but I'll be accepting a compromise of what I want "as end user" to what can be provided.

I want "John" to have the ability of creating multiple separate mailbox usernames under his owned domain name.

Your feedback has given me some direction heading into 2021.

Target the average user basic needs and ApisCP will be heading toward the right direction.

Focusing on building rather than growing the product right now, but I'll take you up on your offer once it's outside the building stage :).

Agreed.

BTW your documentation are to the point and neat, but I didn't see any tutorial for the Panel UI itself (maybe it's available and I missed it). Mainly the focus is on the command line setup/configuration.

Thanked by 2SuperCOOL fbmy
  • @PandoGulf said:
    I'm willing to help with translation for Arabic if you want to add it in the future.

RTL is not support as far as I'm aware.

• jhjh Member

RTL isn't too difficult to do these days - there's an HTML5 tag for it. The only major consideration is if the layout needs changes to look ok and I think the ApisCP layout would be ok.

edited January 2021

@PandoGulf said:

Having said that, I still believe this Panel has a great future, and no regret on my little investment :)

If not call this purchase an investment it is absolutely justifiable. ApisCP is overall a good product. The future might be great but not all of us will see anything if product will take 18 more years to become somewhat great:smile:

@nem said:
    Technology is always moving. Keep ApisCP in mind for the future.

Since the last time I was considering it was last year, time to reconsider it :smile:

Perhaps it is not completely correct to discuss other panels in this thread, but this is mainly to OP's advantage. Let's say I'm looking for something cheaper than cPanel (Plesk has similar pricing? Also Interworx?), I don't want DA for personal reasons anymore, ISPmanager looks to be Russian company, not keen on using free panels for production, I am ready to learn something new and possibly I can live without LiteSpeed on some servers (not using Nginx at all for now) - what are the options? :smiley:

@jh said:
    RTL isn't too difficult to do these days - there's an HTML5 tag for it. The only major consideration is if the layout needs changes to look ok and I think the ApisCP layout would be ok.

<body dir="rtl">. Layout supports flipping orientation as well, so there's no significant barriers once it's appropriate to implement at the next stage of growth.

@vero said: not all of us will see anything if product will take 18 more years to become somewhat great

For its first 14 years ago my primary focus was running a hosting company, now Hostineer. During this time it went through two significant rewrites, put me through school, allowed me to enjoy my 20s, and start a family.

Delta, released June 2018, was the first platform built for public usage since splitting companies. It took about 18 months to finalize for public release culminating with the third major iteration, 3.0 released on January 2019. Refer back to 3.1 and 3.2 release notes for features implemented since then. It'll give you a better idea of how much progress has been made now that my focus is squarely on ApisCP.

Anyone can build a control panel, but having practical experience running a hosting business and understanding how these different services relate is another matter. Likewise anyone can build an engine with enough compression, fuel, and spark, but coming from a business that specializes in building vehicles helps refine how to optimize that design.

@vero said:
    what are the options? :smiley:

ApisCP, and you're in the right thread for that :smiley:

• @nem
    Please make a user friendly and easy gui as other panels,and you will be in demand.
    The basic function what is needed for creating hosting packages,user accounts and assgining to them.That is what i think :)

Thanked by 2webcraft hackerman
  • I don't think so, let ApisCP be itself.

I suggest making a video tutorials (especially how to configure it), so that beginners do not feel like driving an alien airplane.

@PandoGulf said: Perfect can I do this through the Panel UI ? if not you should seriously consider adding this.

Up on edge now. Go to Settings > App Settings > DNS Manager > Show apex NS.

If you're setting NS records that PowerDNS populates on creation, powerdns_nameservers does this for you (see PowerDNS.md).

@PandoGulf said: I didn't see any tutorial for the Panel UI itself

I don't have the capability yet to maintain meticulous documentation of the UI. A good CLI is eternal, so that's the go-to right now.

@fbmy said: I suggest making a video tutorials (especially how to configure it)

There's a need for a configuration wizard beyond the current welcome screen in Nexus such as adding additional PHP builds, PHP-FPM policy maps, selecting an Argos backend, setting up smart host, reconfiguring your hostname/SSL, etc. I'm still in the feedback stage of what's missing in those first few moments of interaction with ApisCP. Hopefully a wizard can provide enough guidance because I plan on moving ApisCP to Bootstrap 5 in 3.3 to be released later this year.

@suricloud said: creating hosting packages

That + template editing (resources/templates, resources/views) are on topic for 2021 after rolling out reseller.

• JioJio Member

Do you take bitcoin?