Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to host some websites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need to host some websites

hello guys, i want to rent a dedicated server or vps to run about 5-10 wordpress websites off it. What is a good option for it? I was looking at the kimsufi dedicated servers but i am not sure they got enought horsepower for it.
I have seen this offers they have
VPS Starter

1 vCore(s)
2 GB de RAM
20 GB SATA SSD

3 €/mes + IVA (4 € IVA incl.)

or a dedicated server
KS-2 Intel Atom N2800 2c/4t 1,86GHz 4GB DDR3 1066 MHZ 1TB 100 Mbps /128

im not sure what would be the requirements to run about 5 websites

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Hetzner, done deal.

Thanked by 1dragon1993
  • What websites are these?... production or hobby?

Production websites you wouldn't (unless you like living dangerously) run on a single disk kimsufi

A vps is a good idea but depending on what control panel you want to use you may need more ram... what control panel would you use?

• 2-3 small online shops is what i would run and a couple blogs, on wordpress. probably i would run plesk.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@chip said: run on a single disk kimsufi

RAID is not replacement of backup! so it will require to backup your server.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2020

I do not think 4GB RAM would be enough (I may very well be wrong), I would definitely try to get 8GB and take daily backups rather than pay extra for a RAID configuration. Sounds like you exclusively want EU?

• jahrincjahrinc Member
    edited December 2020

I run 12 websites each on its own lxc container, each has 1.5gb ram and shared cpu across all of em.

Half the sites are woocommerce and half are blogs. They run smoothly on a CX51 "Hetzner".

The most popular site gets around 300-325k (thousand) unique visitors per month, with redis installed it handles it like a breeze.

All woocommerce use redis, the rest use fastcgi.

You can get better prices with PHP-Friends with dedicated resources and more of everything, but, I'm lazy to move them.

BTW the stack is wordops

TL:DR Hetzner.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @WebProject said:

@chip said: run on a single disk kimsufi

RAID is not replacement of backup! so it will require to backup your server.

Yes I know raid is no replacement for a backup but raid gives a level or resilience (fault tolerance) that isn't disk failure .... I still wouldn't run production stuff on a kimsufi... even worse would be a single disk kimsufi

• alwyzonalwyzon Member, Host Rep

@InvisibleRasta said:
    im not sure what would be the requirements to run about 5 websites

I don't think anybody here will be able to answer your question with certainty. System requirements don't depend on how many websites you will be running, but on the software that runs on the server and how heavily that software is utilized (= how many concurrent users you will serve).

If you developed the software yourself, or your software vendor simply doesn't hand you a system requirements recommendation, then trial and error is often the best solution. Start with a small server and scale up when you notice that things get sluggish (and can't be further optimised through other measures).

Thus, I'd recommend a VPS. Most hosting providers will allow you to upgrade to a larger VPS package later on, which wouldn't be that easy with physical hardware.

Thanked by 1tetech
  • Seems like hetzner has terribly bad reviews all over...idk

• I have not seen a single bad review for hetzner other than from people that were prevented from registering due to antifraud or abusers

• @hzr said:
    I have not seen a single bad review for hetzner other than from people that were prevented from registering due to antifraud or abusers

https://hostadvice.com/hosting-company/hetzner-online-reviews/

• I think netcup root servers should be good enough.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@InvisibleRasta said:

@hzr said:
    I have not seen a single bad review for hetzner other than from people that were prevented from registering due to antifraud or abusers

Goes to show how reliable that site is when a scam host has more reviews, likes and ranked way higher than Hetzner and other top/known providers.

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

@InvisibleRasta said:

@hzr said:

In general, those review sites are going to skew towards having more negative reviews. People love ranting when things go wrong, yet they very rarely actively seek out review sites and write reviews when everything is working fine. Hetzner have a LOT of customers, so even if you see 1000 bad reviews, that's still a small portion of their total customer base.

Also, take all those 'hosting review' sites with a grain of salt. Many of them are just shills for certain web hosts, or are trying to collect referral bonuses through affiliate links.

@SSDBlaze said: I do not think 4GB RAM would be enough

For 5-10 WordPress sites? It should be plenty. I have maybe 5 WordPress sites, 20 other PHP sites, a bunch of ASP. NET Core sites, and various other things running on a 4GB VPS with no issues.

To optimize cache usage, I'd recommend using one WordPress installation for all the WordPress sites. WordPress has built-in multi-site functionality, you just need to enable it. https://wordpress.org/support/article/create-a-network/. This will use the same PHP files across all sites, meaning you have just one copy of WordPress core files on disk and in opcache, rather than 5 of them.

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • yeah i notused the more i read reviews the more they scare me...that for mostly any provider that is not in the "top" lists of hostadvice

• Those who pay the least usually tend to be the worst customers. Anyone would tell you companies like hetzner/ovh give you very good value for money. The kimsufi you mentioned is a brand of ovh btw. Look at this:

https://hostadvice.com/hosting-company/ovh-com-reviews/

I think hetzner is a very good choice for you provided you don't get your wordpress sites hacked/host shady stuff.

• I can recommend Hetzner.
    Fast and stable.

KS-2 much slower that Hetzner Cloud in webhosting.

• @thedp said: Goes to show how reliable that site is when a scam host has more reviews, likes and ranked way higher than Hetzner and other top/known providers.

I like that the first review I read is overwhelmingly positive, and the next review is someone that never had service at all from hetzner and was refused for fraud.

• crazy OVH reviews are super bad... I had a dedicated server with them for over 2 years and it was an awesome experience. never had any issues,. That review website seems shady
    https://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/ is reliable?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Did someone mention NexusBytes? @seriesn prem Ryzen NVMe awesomeness

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • nexusbytes seems quite interesting... i messaged supprot for some questions

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • The other friends have talked about the choice of server.
    So I want to introduce a plugin, since you want to set up wordpress sites and config the server on your own, it is highly recommended, especially for high traffic sites.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/litespeed-cache/

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • what do you use with litespeed-cache? LiteSpeed Web Server Enterprise or OpenLiteSpeed

• @InvisibleRasta said:
    what do you use with litespeed-cache? LiteSpeed Web Server Enterprise or OpenLiteSpeed

It works with both.

• High recommend NexusBytes.

Thanked by 1seriesn