Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @rm_ said:
    @Bonsai99 are you sure Montreal is your "Home region"? Check what it says in the drop-down on the top-right. Or maybe they rearranged regions somehow, and you now get a quota somewhere else. Also see the "Manage regions" page.

Yep, I'm not subscribed to any other regions.

• xaocxaoc Member

Seems like that region doesn't have a free quota for some reason. They do state that free stuff is limited to some regions only.

• @xaoc said:
    Seems like that region doesn't have a free quota for some reason. They do state that free stuff is limited to some regions only.

It has maybe is not in stock https://www.oracle.com/cloud/data-regions.html#northamerica

• finally I can signed up for this free tier lol. Anyone care to share the uptime and any precautions? As i'm only using this for my bouncer lol.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@creep said:
    finally I can signed up for this free tier lol. Anyone care to share the uptime and any precautions? As i'm only using this for my bouncer lol.

Sir even a bouncer is mission critical, to risky.

• @Neoon said:

@creep said:
    finally I can signed up for this free tier lol. Anyone care to share the uptime and any precautions? As i'm only using this for my bouncer lol.

Care to elaborate? Or are you missing a /s tag!?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@creep said:

@Neoon said:

@creep said:

Care to elaborate? Or are you missing a /s tag!?

All what has to be said, has been written down.
    There is no need of such what you call /s tag.

• @creep said:

Using VMs in Tokyo region. Haven't experienced a downtime. With its 10 TB data transfer, it's definitely much better than Google's one.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2020

@creep said: As i'm only using this for my bouncer lol.

As you can't control rDNS and there's no IPv6, people are going to point and laugh at you on IRC, for showing up with a mere IP instead of a cool DNS record, and even just an IPv4 at that.

Thanked by 3benj0x NanoG6 Ouji
  • @rm_ said:

@creep said: As i'm only using this for my bouncer lol.

As you can't control rDNS and there's no IPv6, people are going to point and laugh at you on IRC, for showing up with a mere IP instead of a cool DNS record, and even just an IPv4 at that.

It's free, good ddos protection, stable network, it's like it was made for IRC. xD

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2020

@creep said:

They fuck up from time to time. The first two servers I made were lost completely, despite sending an email days later saying they recovered them (they didn't). Another time, they emailed an internal memo (that wasn't meant for public viewing) that they're running out of space and need to free up some.

Network is limited to 48Mbps. Disk speed is limited to 50MB/s.

Using console requires setting up ssh proxy that changes (so it's a bit more hassle).

Average load times have been as high as 60 at times, but recently I don't recall it being crazy.

I wouldn't even put our company website on it, that gets like 10 viewers a month.

Didn't put pihole on it because latency is too high for across the country for a DNS server.

For a long time, I put them on par with Cloud at Cost. (Legendary fuckups).

I get the impression they are getting better, but they either rushed to get out this free tier or they don't even have their "B team" working on it. But they're improving.

• @TimboJones said: Network is limited to 48Mbps.

I think they mentioned 480Mbps on their page. But I guess it says "Up to" lmao

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Network is limited to 50 mbps in the free tier in Mumbai DC

• 30mbit unmetered in Mumbai. That's what 10TB represents. 💯

• @Ganonk said:
    hello all,

how long oracle cloud will be activated?

but my account until now Not activated, since two week ago.

Is your account active now?

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited November 2020

I have 2 VPSes with them. Work perfectly. I wish I could choose 1 VPS with 4 cores and 100 GB HDD than 2 with 2 cores 50 GB HDD each.

• @youandri said:

@Ganonk said:
    hello all,

how long oracle cloud will be activated?

but my account until now Not activated, since two week ago.

Is your account active now?

No Sir. i'm wurung. thats verification is very-very-very long days.

edited November 2020

@Ouji said: I think they mentioned 480Mbps on their page.

You do get 480 Mbit between your two VPSes in the same DC. But the Internet is capped to about 40-50 Mbit, both in and out.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@RedSox said:
    I have 2 VPSes with them. Work perfectly. I wish I could choose 1 VPS with 4 cores and 100 GB HDD than 2 with 2 cores 50 GB HDD each.

I think it's described as ⅛ OCPU?

You can certainly allocate 100GB disk, but then you can only have one VM instead of two.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • My one instance running Bitwarden has an uptime of 350 days right now (security updates say what?) currently. So guess that's pretty prevalent. So far only one hiccup with networking in Zurch (and other regions) for around 1/4 of the day. But my setup is HA so was able to use fallback for time being.

Still, free.99 is free.99 so I can't complain.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@TimboJones said: I get the impression they are getting better, but they either rushed to get out this free tier or they don't even have their "B team" working on it. But they're improving.

Pretty pathetic considering they're the 3rd or 4th largest software company in the world.

The reality is that all of Oracle Cloud was rushed and they've been playing catch-up since day one. As a company, they completely and doggedly resisted cloud computing until they started losing sales, then they jumped in very late. Every year, Larry Ellison makes a big keynote speech and it was funny to watch him snark about how stupid cloud computing was one year and then two years later announce how groundbreaking (not really) Oracle Cloud was.

I think they're 5th or 6th atm...it really depends how you count. Clearly, AWS is #1 and Azure is close behind, Google is #3, and then after that probably IBM just based on legacy business, and then maybe Oracle. But of course, there's also SalesForce in there if you could pure SaaS, SAP, etc.

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited December 2020

Managed to deploy in Frankfurt yesterday. CPU steal is constantly between 5%-15%.

`

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2020-12-07

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

Wed Dec 16 09:06:10 GMT 2020

Basic System Information:

Processor : AMD EPYC 7551 32-Core Processor
    CPU cores : 2 @ 1996.243 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM : 688.6 MiB
    Swap : 8.0 GiB
    Disk : 38.5 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 6.17 MB/s (1.5k) 25.79 MB/s (403)
    Write 6.16 MB/s (1.5k) 26.28 MB/s (410)
    Total 12.34 MB/s (3.0k) 52.08 MB/s (813)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 24.95 MB/s (48) 23.15 MB/s (22)
    Write 26.66 MB/s (52) 24.92 MB/s (24)
    Total 51.62 MB/s (100) 48.07 MB/s (46)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 49.7 Mbits/sec | 48.7 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 49.8 Mbits/sec | 48.8 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 47.9 Mbits/sec | 45.9 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:

Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 259
    Multi Core | 303
    Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5358905
    `

• 8GB swap? Their templates are fucked.

• My Pihole 2nd dns has a uptime of 178 days(since I last did a proper update)

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2020-12-07

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

Thu Dec 17 15:08:15 UTC 2020

Basic System Information:

Processor : AMD EPYC 7551 32-Core Processor
    CPU cores : 2 @ 1996.246 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM : 976.4 MiB
    Swap : 0.0 KiB
    Disk : 45.1 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 6.25 MB/s (1.5k) 26.37 MB/s (412)
    Write 6.26 MB/s (1.5k) 26.86 MB/s (419)
    Total 12.51 MB/s (3.1k) 53.23 MB/s (831)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 25.13 MB/s (49) 25.15 MB/s (24)
    Write 26.68 MB/s (52) 27.60 MB/s (26)
    Total 51.82 MB/s (101) 52.76 MB/s (50)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 49.6 Mbits/sec | busy
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 48.6 Mbits/sec | 48.6 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | 49.6 Mbits/sec | 49.1 Mbits/sec
    Biznet | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G) | 43.4 Mbits/sec | 25.8 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 48.2 Mbits/sec | busy
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 46.9 Mbits/sec | 43.9 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 46.9 Mbits/sec | 44.0 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom | Sao Paulo, BR (2G) | busy | busy

Once you work out how to open the ports and use the control panel its great for free

• Anyone know when Oracle will open a data center in China? Until then what's their best location for bandwidth into China? South Korea or India?

• indiankeshindiankesh Member
    edited December 2020

@randomq said:
    Anyone know when Oracle will open a data center in China? Until then what's their best location for bandwidth into China? South Korea or India?

They have a datacentre in Mumbai, India.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@djn said:
    Once you work out how to open the ports and use the control panel its great for free

The default firewall is very strict. I'm going to write a tutorial on this.

@randomq said:
    Anyone know when Oracle will open a data center in China? Until then what's their best location for bandwidth into China? South Korea or India?

HostLoc MJJ says South Korea has good connectivity to China.

I picked Tokyo. It has good connectivity within Japan and to USA. Traffic to Europe and China would both go through USA.

Until then what's their best location for bandwidth into China? South Korea or India?

Try these for Test IPs:
    India 140.238.246.254
    Japan 132.145.120.1
    Korea 132.145.90.145

Japan seems single-homed to NTT, I think it will be bad for China (going via USA). And India is unlikely to be good (could be going around the world entirely).

• @yoursunny said: The default firewall is very strict. I'm going to write a tutorial on this.

Tag me when you finish it, please. I'm having a lot of issues wrapping my head around it.

• @Ouji said:

@yoursunny said: The default firewall is very strict. I'm going to write a tutorial on this.

Tag me when you finish it, please. I'm having a lot of issues wrapping my head around it.

How? You open a port that you need... there's almost always a default SSH rule to use as reference to copy or just edit and add the additional ports...