Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 111
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• @jokotan said: So, I'm fine without the rest.

What you probably don't realize is that by saying tickets for modifications shouldn't be low priority is it's more important for you to have your internal IP than it is for me to get my server. I'm glad you're fine with that - I'm not.

• @hosthatch @cdrive is there any reason why you don't want to add a template of Ubuntu 20.04? I'm talking exactly about a template, not an ISO. When you install using ISO, you lose up to 20GB on 1 TB storage, dunno why. But who's interested may check it out, when you use the ubuntu 18.04 template then you have up 15-20 GB more on your hard drive. But not only this bothers me, just it's very comfortable to install using template. I use insteption hosting and there was also no ubuntu 20.04 template. So there's gonna be a reason why providers still didn't make the ubuntu 20.04 template. It's looks like there's something not easy for SolusVM in that ubuntu 20.04 template? Thank you.

Also, don't understand why HH have the 5.4.0-54 kernlel and I can't update to the last one which is 5.4.0-56. It really doesn't matter just wanted to understand why some providers have the latest available kernel and some have before the latest one when you apt update apt upgrade. Thank you

• @skorous said:

@jokotan said: So, I'm fine without the rest.

What you probably don't realize is that by saying tickets for modifications shouldn't be low priority is it's more important for you to have your internal IP than it is for me to get my server. I'm glad you're fine with that - I'm not.

Does not matter since pro bono lawyers are fine with it :smiley:

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Dalawella said:
    @hosthatch @cdrive when you use the ubuntu 18.04 template then you have up 15-20 GB more on your hard drive.

I'd guess this is related to either a different partitioning scheme and/or additional packages being installed by the ISO installer compared to a (minimal) template. This should not be as much as 15-20 GB though.

Also, don't understand why HH have the 5.4.0-54 kernlel and I can't update to the last one which is 5.4.0-56. It really doesn't matter just wanted to understand why some providers have the latest available kernel and some have before the latest one when you apt update apt upgrade. Thank you

Do you run apt update or apt-get update? The latter does not upgrade the kernel, you would need to run apt-get dist-upgrade instead.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • My VMs got internal network but there are other VMs on the same segment. It is internal but not isolated per customer.

• DalawellaDalawella Member
    edited December 2020

@brueggus said: I'd guess this is related to either a different partitioning scheme and/or additional packages being installed by the ISO installer compared to a (minimal) template. This should not be as much as 15-20 GB though.

You think Ubuntu 20.04 15 GB heavier than Ubuntu 18.04? No. Both show around 2-4 GB used HDD. So I don't know where 15-20 GB are always gone when I install from the ISO. You can check it by yourself if you want.

@brueggus said: Do you run apt update or apt-get update? The latter does not upgrade the kernel, you would need to run apt-get dist-upgrade instead.

Nowadays I don't use -get. Just

apt update
    apt full-upgrade

or

apt update
    apt upgrade

To upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 I use this command

do-release-upgrade

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@cause said:
    My VMs got internal network but there are other VMs on the same segment. It is internal but not isolated per customer.

Yes, we only do shared private network at the moment, so you should configure a firewall on it to allow access from only your VMs. Anyone that abuses it will get caught and ultimately terminated though, just like the public network :)

I think even the larger players like DigitalOcean did it this way but moved to isolation per customer an year or two ago.

We are going to do that in Q1 2021.

@Dalawella said:
    @hosthatch @cdrive is there any reason why you don't want to add a template of Ubuntu 20.04? I'm talking exactly about a template, not an ISO. When you install using ISO, you lose up to 20GB on 1 TB storage, dunno why. But who's interested may check it out, when you use the ubuntu 18.04 template then you have up 15-20 GB more on your hard drive. But not only this bothers me, just it's very comfortable to install using template. I use insteption hosting and there was also no ubuntu 20.04 template. So there's gonna be a reason why providers still didn't make the ubuntu 20.04 template. It's looks like there's something not easy for SolusVM in that ubuntu 20.04 template? Thank you.

We will likely add it in a few days, but it's not at the top of the priority list.

There is no "loss of disk space" by using ISOs, that probably has to do with the partitioning scheme, and not something we can look into since this is an unmanaged service. Perhaps you can find some help in the community here on that.

• orion504orion504 Member
    edited December 2020

@cause said:
    My VMs got internal network but there are other VMs on the same segment. It is internal but not isolated per customer.

Maybe your other VMs are being provisioned or it's gateway address? Otherwise, be nice and don't hack into other VMs, since they're mostly empty and idle :P. It should be fixed soon.

• @hosthatch said: We will likely add it in a few days, but it's not at the top of the priority list.

Great to hear. Thanks!

edited December 2020

@orion504 said:

@cause said:

Maybe your other VMs are being provisioned or it's gateway address? Otherwise, be nice and don't hack into other VMs, since they're mostly empty and idle :P. It should be fixed soon.

You cannot really "hack into other VMs" over the private network, just like you cannot over the public network. It is not an "unlimited access password-removed network".

You can abuse it, just like you can abuse the public network, you will get caught, and terminated swiftly - with no refund.

(ps I mean 'you' in general, not directed towards you)

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • @Dalawella said: But who's interested may check it out, when you use the ubuntu 18.04 template then you have up 15-20 GB more on your hard drive.

So you're thinking that the hardware changes when you use an ISO? What sense does that make? It has to be something you're doing/being done in the ISO install.

• @cause said:

Does anyone has a tutorial or what to google in order to setup/connect both VMs using the internal private network? I cannot manage to make ping ... :/

• @hosthatch Are guys planned to open SG location ?

Thanked by 1DarkCarnage
  • orion504orion504 Member
    edited December 2020

@hosthatch said:

You cannot really "hack into other VMs" over the private network, just like you cannot over the public network. It is not an "unlimited access password-removed network".

You can abuse it, just like you can abuse the public network, you will get caught, and terminated swiftly - with no refund.

(ps I mean 'you' in general, not directed towards you)

Right, just a joke that shouldn't nose into neighbors' house :joy: as the violation can lead to termination. Also, a reminder to everyone to secure internal network interface as well, not only public one as they typically do. If not using it, better disable it.

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • @fullclick32 said:

@cause said:

Does anyone has a tutorial or what to google in order to setup/connect both VMs using the internal private network? I cannot manage to make ping ... :/

Are you trying to communicate between two VPSes in different locations? It only works between VPSes in the same location.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@fullclick32 said:

@cause said:

If you can't ping your two VMs that have private network, located in the same location, please open a ticket so we can check.

@Deepak_leb said:
    @hosthatch Are guys planned to open SG location ?

Yes, in a month or so, but no exact ETA, and we don't take pre-orders before we have our kits in a location already.

• @hosthatch said: Yes, we only do shared private network at the moment, so you should configure a firewall on it to allow access from only your VMs. Anyone that abuses it will get caught and ultimately terminated though, just like the public network :)

I think even the larger players like DigitalOcean did it this way but moved to isolation per customer an year or two ago.

BuyVM just moved theirs to be isolated per customer. I used to encounter weird things like other customers flooding the network with broadcast packets (https://d.sb/2019/01/firefox_03-10.03.31.png) so I'm glad they've isolated it now.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @hosthatch said: Yes, in a month or so, but no exact ETA, and we don't take pre-orders before we have our kits in a location already.

So, no Tokyo? :'(
    I remember you said it's gonna be Singapore or Tokyo.

• @hosthatch said:
    Yes, in a month or so, but no exact ETA, and we don't take pre-orders before we have our kits in a location already.

Wait for SG..cool

• @Dalawella said: Both show around 2-4 GB used HDD. So I don't know where 15-20 GB are always gone when

at what number exactly are you looking to determine this difference? maybe post some output here...

this difference can have a lot of 'causes' like calculating human readable output (-h flag) differently or if you only look at the available space it could be based on the reserved blocks (tune2fs) in the filesystem. could even be a different filesystem at all or as others mentioned a different partition layout usage of LVM or not and so on.

ideally you want to look at full bytes numbers anyway to compare properly and not GB TB GiB TiB to avoid confusion or misinterpretation ;-)

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • causecause Member
    edited December 2020

hmmm, then we need wireguard/ipsec on the so-called private network to run nbd or iscsi to make credentials private...

Just tried iperf on LA nodes, storage vm from 2017 and nvme in this promo, got 0.4ms ping and around 7Gbps with MTUbytes=9000. Apparently traffic through the interface are not accounted in Bandwidth page.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited December 2020

@Daniel15 said:

BuyVM just moved theirs to be isolated per customer. I used to encounter weird things like other customers flooding the network with broadcast packets (https://d.sb/2019/01/firefox_03-10.03.31.png) so I'm glad they've isolated it now.

Yep, thankfully we're very strict on abuse so even if that happens (and it does, once in a blue moon), we tell the abusing customer goodbye very fast.

I don't think any provider using SolusVM can do this too easily. We already run our own firewall for the public network and disable the SolusVM rules for most of the stuff (because they handle it like it was supposed to be in 2012). It took many weeks of effort and lots of code to be able to do that in a way that is reliable and automated.

So I'm sure we can hack our way around how SolusVM handles it and write our own code for private network too, but since we're not going to be using SolusVM as a back-end anymore in the coming months, it is not a top prio.

We had an internal discussion about it and came to the conclusion that if we continue to hack our way around all the things that SolusVM does "not very efficiently", we would be left with paying a lot of money per month for SolusVM licensing just to use the "reboot/boot" buttons....it was funny but also kind of true. So it's more worth our time to simply focus on our new backend panel where these problems do not exist, by design.

As I said before though.....I'm pretty sure the large players like DO were also doing it this way until a year or two ago.

@Samidare said: So, no Tokyo?

It will either be Tokyo and then Singapore, or the other way around.

@cause said: Just tried iperf on LA nodes, storage vm from 2017 and nvme in this promo, got 0.4ms ping and around 7Gbps with MTUbytes=9000. Apparently traffic through the interface are not accounted in Bandwidth page.

Sounds awesome. We'll be moving to 40G soon so should be even better :)

• @hosthatch I got a VM in a wrong location by mistake ๐Ÿ˜… You could give it to someone in STO while I can wait for AMS.

I did open a ticket a day back which must have added me to the end of the queue again.

Just thought this idle VM could make someone happy and be of use ๐Ÿ˜… while I can wait for mine.

@icry said:
    @hosthatch I got a VM in a wrong location by mistake ๐Ÿ˜… You could give it to someone in STO while I can wait for AMS.

I did open a ticket a day back which must have added me to the end of the queue again.

Just thought this idle VM could make someone happy and be of use ๐Ÿ˜… while I can wait for mine.

Sorry about that - we'll get it fixed if you already have a ticket in :)

Thanked by 1icry
  • Yeah got it. Just make sure you don't make an extra STO 16GB NVME ๐Ÿ˜

Got my 3TB Storage delivered in AMS and I'm loving it ๐Ÿ˜

Thanked by 1JohnFilch123
  • @hosthatch said: So it's more worth our time to simply focus on our new backend panel where these problems do not exist, by design.

@hosthatch said: It will either be Tokyo and then Singapore, or the other way around.

awesome news!

• @Daniel15 said:

@fullclick32 said:

@cause said:

Are you trying to communicate between two VPSes in different locations? It only works between VPSes in the same location.

Same location.

@hosthatch said: If you can't ping your two VMs that have private network, located in the same location, please open a ticket so we can check.

It's fixed now, via ticket. Thanks @hosthatch team!!

• @hosthatch said:

@icry said:
    @hosthatch I got a VM in a wrong location by mistake ๐Ÿ˜… You could give it to someone in STO while I can wait for AMS.

Sorry about that - we'll get it fixed if you already have a ticket in :)

Got it replaced already :)

Thanks a lot for working loads past weeks <3

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • sirluissirluis Member
    edited December 2020

@hosthatch server was not provisioned yet, reached 7 days last monday. No dedis available?