Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[HELP+ASK] about vps from my dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[HELP+ASK] about vps from my dedicated server

blackeyeblackeye Veteran
edited September 2013 in Help

hello .

yesterday i was bought dedicated server . i want make vps from my dedicated server . then i install openvz , template OS for vps , openvz web .

then after i make vps i can login via putty . but i got problem if using centos in my vps always get error .

here this error :

if using debian same i just got error . ( after apt-get update )

and i want asking . how to limit bandwidth per vps from dedicated server ?

sorry for my bad english .

thank you .

Regards

Comments

• @Jack said:
    What does cat /etc/resolv.conf show?

from dedicated server or vps ?

• do you have connectivity from inside the VPS to outside your dedi?

ping google, and telnet or nc an outside host. It seems that it's a problem with the network interface.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited September 2013

If you are not entering the container via vzctl enter, chances are the nameservers inside the container is not configured properly.

Please see http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=23381& for more information on this.

• blackeyeblackeye Veteran
    edited September 2013

@john_k said:
    do you have connectivity from inside the VPS to outside your dedi?

ping google, and telnet or nc an outside host. It seems that it's a problem with the network interface.

here

i am using tutor from here : http://e-padi.com/tutorial-cara-install-openvz-di-linux-centos-6.htm ( sorry if they bahasa indonesia languange you can using translate google )

because i got problem here .

1. Edit file sysctl.conf

vi /etc/sysctl.conf

search net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0 then change to:
    net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
    net.ipv4.conf.default.proxy_arp = 0
    net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1

search line kernel.sysrq = 0 then change to:
    kernel.sysrq = 1
    net.ipv4.conf.default.send_redirects = 1
    net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects = 0
    net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts=1
    net.ipv4.conf.default.forwarding=1

i am cannot found this line
    net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts=1
    net.ipv4.conf.default.forwarding=1

Sorry For my Bad Write Comment in Here :(

• john_kjohn_k Member
    edited September 2013

put this line in the /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 8.8.8.8

someone in previous comments told you to check that file.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2013

Have a look at this,
    http://wiki.crowncloud.net/doku.php/suggested_nameservers

Basically, add

nameserver 8.8.8.8

nameserver 8.8.4.4

to your /etc/resolv.conf and restart the network service, to make sure it re-reads the resolv.conf, it might work without doing this, but i've always restarted networking/network to be sure.

service network restart / service networking restart

depending on the distro/Linux you're on :)

EDIT: Also, try pinging a domain like google.com and not an IP, the IP will always ping, it's the domains that wont as your DNS - "Domain Name System" which resolves the domain into the IP behind it may not be working (check my above link/suggestion for the fix)

• vi /etc/resolv.conf

add

nameserver 4.2.2.2
    nameserver 4.2.2.1
    nameserver 8.8.8.8

to the beginning of the file

• okay . next day i will try .

thank you

• are you Indonesian?

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    are you Indonesian?

any problem if i am from indonesian ?

• Nope, just asking if you're Indonesian, I can help you using Bahasa Indonesia :)

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Nope, just asking if you're Indonesian, I can help you using Bahasa Indonesia :)

thank you but i didn't know how to contact you sir .

• thank you all my problem is solved . but i want ask how to limit bandwidth & port for vps ?

thank you

• wait, nobody thought about how he was able to log into ssh (remotely via ipv4) if his resolv.conf is fudged?

• @cosmicgate said:
    wait, nobody thought about how he was able to log into ssh (remotely via ipv4) if his resolv.conf is fudged?

you right . I also do not know why it happened.

• @cosmicgate said:
    wait, nobody thought about how he was able to log into ssh (remotely via ipv4) if his resolv.conf is fudged?

well it should work fine without a proper resolv.conf, that's only required for resolving names

• SSHd only uses resolv.conf to get the hostname of the connecting client. If it can't resolve (nameservers are down or missing/broken resolv.conf) you will notice a delay as the nslookup times-out but it won't stop you from connecting (unless you are using from="mydomain.com" in authorized_keys or something similar that isn't enabled by default)