Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR CPU usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TOR CPU usage

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited September 2013 in Help

Hi,

Im running TOR on 2 KVM vps's the problem is I get about 60-80% load when they have a throughtput from around 1Mbit that's not normal.

On other vps's i have at 1Mbit around 30% but not 80%, does anyone have a idea how i could improve/solve this?

Thanks

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2013

Relay not Exit..., pfff if everyone would do this... what would happen to these persons which have censored ethernet?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

I have 100% CPU load at 40-50 Mbit/sec as usual.

Tor is experiencing a bizzare increase in popularity in the past several days: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2291758/tor-popularity-leaps-after-snooping-revelations
    The obvious explanation you think of is Snowden, NSA and PirateBrowser, but people on the Tor mailing list believe it's just way too high and too sharp of a hike to be explained by regular human usage. It looks more like a botnet.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I do about 100 mbps on one core of a modern CPU with a load of 1.

You should check the logs for problems establishing the SSL connections or something like that. A network problem can increase your CPU usage heavily and I had seen that in the past.

And yeah, I believe the increased usage is from a botnet too. This seems reasonable because traffic levels are about the same as before.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

I am running 2 instances with 2 OVZ containers on a VIA C7 with load exceeding 1 at times, but throughput is not that big, 1 MB at most total. Your load seems abnormal.

• Well, this might have something to do with it..

Tor network - Users Jun-Sep 2013

Tor's gone off-tap as RM said. Whether it's the NSA news-of-the-day (uhh, did anyone NOT know they were doing it?) or some unknown botnet.. don't know.
    The Tor network certainly hasn't been very functional from a user perspective lately.
    BTW I'd love someone running an exit node to grab some metrics on what is actually going on.. if I had a host I could do it on I would. Not to spy, but open the lid on this massive spike..

More detail here:

[https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html]

[https://metrics.torproject.org/performance.html]

• @benryanau said:
    BTW I'd love someone running an exit node to grab some metrics on what is actually going on..

So you actually want to to the opposite of what Tor originally wants to secure?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Maounique any idea how i can fix this? The Support is telling me could be an issue with TOR itself what i not belive otherwise i would get also E-Mails about CPU Abuse from other Providers. Im using the same configuration also.

• Metrics ain't Echelon.. The Tor project already collects plenty of data from nodes. I'd just like to see what all the traffic's about..
    If you use Tor, you should assume that someone IS sniffing you at the exit nodes regardless.
    Anyway data confiidentiality isn't one of Tor's objectives.
    It's really about giving people a way to break the electronic gags their society has placed upon them, to communicate without fear or persecution.

• Please shut up if you don't know what are you speaking about.

• Ignorance is bliss. Anybody can be an exit, so why are you safe? I know tons of people who used to sniff exits for fun and it was always a constant source of hilariousness

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@doughmanes said:
    Ignorance is bliss. Anybody can be an exit, so why are you safe? I know tons of people who used to sniff exits for fun and it was always a constant source of hilariousness

And, they were certainly able to guess where was that traffic originating also... Tor was never about hiding the exit traffic, that is visible at the target site/service/whatever, it was about hiding the source.
    About fixing it, I do not know, for me was always like that.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2013

@ska said:
    So you actually want to to the opposite of what Tor originally wants to secure?

Exactly right.

Also, if you're a tor operator, from a legal perspective it's probably best that you do whatever necessary to maintain plausible deniability--trying to capture usage statistics won't help with that.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I don't know if related, but the timing corresponds to a drop in throughput over the past few weeks of the VPN provider I use.